Can our 'young guys' zone block? Jags answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jsonline: Jags speaks on Zone-Blocking

"You can do it with lesser talent," Jagodzinski said. "In Atlanta, I had three seventh-round picks, the left tackle, center and right guard, and at one time last year I had a fifth-round at left guard. And Barry Stokes was a free agent. So three sevens, a five and a free agent."
---------------
Hopefully this will calm down the Colledge-doubters.

Good article. Read the Full thing.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Hopefully this will calm down the Colledge-doubters.

Good article. Read the Full thing.

Uhhh.....Where does it say anything about Colledge? All it does is explain how a Zone-Blocking scheme is ran and what type of athlete you need to run it.

I still say it won't be pretty with who we have running it. I am glad they can get to the block, but once they get thier I hope they don't get manhandled.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow.

He was saying he had 7th rounders,5th rounders, and FAs do it well...

we have a 2nd round pick(who is supposedly doing VERY well)...

Just wow.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
wow.

Just wow.
Reading between the lines is sometimes hard. I read the article to mean GB has more talent on the line then Atlanta. I don't think we need to get out the stats for this thread, though.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
wow.

Just wow.

Well, not trying to pick a fight here, cuz you'd win, like always you big stud muffin of the internet you!!

But, since when does the round dictate the talent level? I thought people like Tom Brady [rd 6] and Terrel Davis [rd 6]were pretty good and I believe they were picked in the later rounds.

Is it easier to name the 1st rd busts than it is to name the gems of the later rounds? Why?

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a stud muffin.

Colledge isnt only a 2nd round pick.

Colledge is a 2nd round pick who is reportedly picking things up quick and is doing very well.

Add to the mix that he is ideal for zone blocking, and that our OC has done good things with worse players...

THAT is why I said this should calm down some of the colledge-doubters. Or not. I dont really care, that is their problem.

BUT...I am a studmuffin.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaggo said:
"In Atlanta, I had three seventh-round picks, the left tackle, center and right guard, and at one time last year I had a fifth-round at left guard. And Barry Stokes was a free agent. So three sevens, a five and a free agent."

when he says that, is he talking about straight up rookies? or is he stating which round these players were drafted in?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Jaggo said:
"In Atlanta, I had three seventh-round picks, the left tackle, center and right guard, and at one time last year I had a fifth-round at left guard. And Barry Stokes was a free agent. So three sevens, a five and a free agent."

when he says that, is he talking about straight up rookies? or is he stating which round these players were drafted in?

nevermind, it was definitely the latter.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I don't know how relevant the draft position of a player is to his production on the field, I do think the years of experience is.

The average NFL experience of the Falcons OL is 8.2 years. With a starting lineup of Clifton, Colledge, Wells, Coston and Tauscher, the Packers average experience will be 3.8 years.

I'm convinced this group will be good in a few years. I'm not convinced they will be this year.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
While I don't know how relevant the draft position of a player is to his production on the field, I do think the years of experience is.

The average NFL experience of the Falcons OL is 8.2 years. With a starting lineup of Clifton, Colledge, Wells, Coston and Tauscher, the Packers average experience will be 3.8 years.

I'm convinced this group will be good in a few years. I'm not convinced they will be this year.

That is my point. I am totally convinced GB's line will struggle this year. With that much youth it's only common sense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Even tho Atlanta did very well with their rushing game last year, ( #1 in yards, and avg) how much of that league leading title came from Vick and not from the running backs..

here

Rushing yards
2546 4.8 yards per carry

Vick
597 yards, 5.7 yards per carry

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Even tho Atlanta did very well with their rushing game last year, ( #1 in yards, and avg) how much of that league leading title came from Vick and not from the running backs..

here

Rushing yards
2546 4.8 yards per carry

Vick
597 yards, 5.7 yards per carry
Since Ron Mexico couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat, I would say those are very good rushing stats. I think the Falcons face a lot of Eight man fronts.

I'll take 1949 yards from out running backs by committee.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
the rushing they had as a team w/o "ron" they still would have been in top ten, but yards per carry they drop down to BOTTOM ten..

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
the rushing they had as a team w/o "ron" they still would have been in top ten, but yards per carry they drop down to BOTTOM ten..
Good point! But I'll take 3.5 ypc all day long. I like 3rd and three, many options. One thing about zone blocking is that it is designed to limit negative yardage plays.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
longtimefan said:
Good point! But I'll take 3.5 ypc all day long. I like 3rd and three, many options. One thing about zone blocking is that it is designed to limit negative yardage plays.

Well, thats not entirely true. Though it may be designed to not lose yards, if ran ineffectively you will lose more yards than not blocking effectively in a regular scheme.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and Pyle knows more than Jags, so you listen to him,Dakota and longtime. Respect his authoriTIE!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
and Pyle knows more than Jags, so you listen to him,Dakota and longtime. Respect his authoriTIE!

What are you talking about Dale? I was just pointing out that if it is not ran correctly it can have a negative effect worse than that of a regular scheme. Where did I disagree with Jags,Dakota or Longtime?

More of the same from you. You are obsessed with me and now are resorting to the high school technique of trying to turn other people against me so you can sit back and laugh. You really need a a life man, honestly.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyle,

What I remember from our effective blocking last year, was 7 yard draws from our 1 yard line, which was a safety by the way! (Detroit game)

I am also very skeptical about our new blocking system, but my perception from your posts is that you are dooming the scheme before it starts. If we can run the ball like Denver, I'm going to be happy. I think it might be tough going until mid-season though.

One other thing I noticed about zone blocking watching Denver is that 3-4 defences give it more difficulties, I suppose they take away more cut back lanes than a 4-3 would.

Tromadz,

I can debate on my own, but thanks for the help.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasnt trying to help anybody, I was just giving Pyle props for being so smart.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
if ran ineffectively you will lose more yards than not blocking effectively in a regular scheme.

pyle didn't contradict anybody here...it's written kind of vaugely but when an offensive line changes it's entire blocking scheme, his comments seem more like common sense to me.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
pyledriver80 said:
if ran ineffectively you will lose more yards than not blocking effectively in a regular scheme.

pyle didn't contradict anybody here...it's written kind of vaugely but when an offensive line changes it's entire blocking scheme, his comments seem more like common sense to me.

Thanks Arrow!

Nowhere did I say it was ran effectively last year. My point is if you execute the Zone Blocking scheme ineffectively it is going to result in a greater loss of yardage than when you run a regular scheme ineffectively.

Dakota, I am not dooming the scheme before it starts. I love the idea of Zone-Blocking. My problem is that I don't think we have the people to do it. I know we have the athletes to get to the block but my question is if they can execute a solid block once they get there. If they can't the scheme will be a mess.

I also do not think these guys will never be able to do it, just not this year and we have no veterans or experience behind them.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you dont think we have the people to do zone blocking? Wow.

Colledge
Spitz
Wells
Tauscher
Clifton
Coston
White

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
you dont think we have the people to do zone blocking? Wow.

Colledge
Spitz
Wells
Tauscher
Clifton
Coston
White

Did I say that Trom, NO!

I said I don't think we have the people to do it PROPERLY!!!!!

I am glad you gave me a list. Now take away Clifton and Tauscher and tell me how many years experience they have at blocking NFL calibur players.

It's so easy, you could even do it!

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, so its not about the people, its about their experience? figure out your argument, and get back to me. keep insulting me, im sure AADP is watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts