Can Nick Perry step up and pick up some of Clay's Slack?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok i'll put a positive spin on it...i think they should give Perry a chance to play defensive end. He was drafted to play OLB because he was a combine freak with some great athletic ability and TT figured he could be a compliment to Matthews. However that doesn't make him an OLB. Some guys can make the switch and some guys can't, it happens. Take Demarcus Ware and Vernon Gholston for example?Ware and Gholston were both defensive ends coming out of college getting drafted by teams expecting them to be OLB's... one made the transition and is probably a lock for Canton and the other?? well i don't think he's been in the league for a while now.

I think the olb experiment has failed with Perry so why not give him a look at defensive end? i mean afterall the guy was taken in the 1st round so they need to give him EVERY chance to succeed even if it means giving him a shot to play a position he played in college. He could either turn into Dwight Freeney or Vernon Gholston but im not convinced Nick Perry is going to have a great career as an OLB so....let's hope Andy Mulumba turns into Derrick Thomas as TT has swung and missed with Perry imo. He needs to never draft a defensive player in the 1st round ever gain. Not bashing Teddy but enough is enough man. Let's keep our fingers crossed with Jones.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Extrapolating stats is very, very dangerous. You can't just take a small sample size, multiple by a number then declare it good. A small sample size is just that, small. A lot of players can be All-Stars when you take their small stats and extrapolate them over a full year.
Isn't that what your are doing also? Perry has been injured half the games during his Packer career. Shawnsta is looking at the games he was healthy and you are looking at the games he was injured.

I don't know about Perry. I thought we would go in a different direction in the draft, but he is an intriguing player. He has played very well at times - or at least has made some impressive plays. The talent is there. Is he too injury prone to live up to his potential? We need to ride out his rookie contract and see.

To label him a bust is premature at this point. As others have pointed out, most of our successful players have not been successful in their first few seasons. James Jones, for example, broke out in his 6th season.

And yes, to me is seems very much like some people celebrate a Packer failing. Or more precisely, a TT draft pick failing. And Nelson and 13 can't seem to hit 'Like' on each other's posts and 'Dislike' on anything positive quickly enough.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't that what your are doing also? Perry has been injured half the games during his Packer career. Shawnsta is looking at the games he was healthy and you are looking at the games he was injured.

I don't know about Perry. I thought we would go in a different direction in the draft, but he is an intriguing player. He has played very well at times - or at least has made some impressive plays. The talent is there. Is he too injury prone to live up to his potential? We need to ride out his rookie contract and see.

To label him a bust is premature at this point. As others have pointed out, most of our successful players have not been successful in their first few seasons. James Jones, for example, broke out in his 6th season.

And yes, to me is seems very much like some people celebrate a Packer failing. Or more precisely, a TT draft pick failing. And Nelson and 13 can't seem to hit 'Like' on each other's posts and 'Dislike' on anything positive quickly enough.

All I'm doing is making an assessment of what I see game after game. I'm going off of actual game play, not numbers I made up. I'm using the eye test and the box score to make a determination. Seems pretty legit to me.

Also, to be fair, I said "might have just entered the bust zone". I haven' given up hope, but what I've seen is BAD so far.

So to answer your first question of the post, no.

H

HardRightEdge

Ok i'll put a positive spin on it...i think they should give Perry a chance to play defensive end.

Perry was listed in college at 260 lbs. He showed up at the Combine at 275 lbs., evidently trying to improve his bona fides as a 4-3 DE. I believe I read he's dropped a few lbs. since joining the Packers, but when you see him standing in the huddle next to the other LBs, he looks all of 275 lbs.

Further, he's carrying a lot of bulk in the lower body and looks squatty for a 6'3" man.

265 lbs. or 275 lbs., if that's his current range, is too light for 3-4 DE and he doesn't look like he has the body type to add another 20 - 30 lbs. to play the position.

Last edited by a moderator:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's too

Perry was listed in college at 260 lbs. He showed up at the Combine at 275 lbs., evidently trying to improve his bona fides as a 4-3 DE. I believe I read he's dropped a few lbs. since joining the Packers, but when you see him standing in the huddle next to the other LBs, he looks all of 275 lbs.

Further, he's carrying a lot of bulk in the lower body and looks squatty for a 6'3" man.

265 lbs. or 275 lbs., if that's his current range, is too light for 3-4 DE and he doesn't look like he has the body type to add another 20 - 30 lbs. to play the position.

Yea he looks kinda thick. I think however he can play D-end, he can come in on passing downs. It's crazy how bad he looks in space, you would think he was actually a linemen playing out of position when you watch him try to cover running backs or plasy pass defense. Oh wait, he is, nevermind.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I'm doing is making an assessment of what I see game after game. I'm going off of actual game play, not numbers I made up. I'm using the eye test and the box score to make a determination. Seems pretty legit to me.

Also, to be fair, I said "might have just entered the bust zone". I haven' given up hope, but what I've seen is BAD so far.

So to answer your first question of the post, no.
He has a broken foot. You are going to see what you want to see. Your general negativity and dislike of TT has skewed your objectivity.

He is a very powerful and explosive player. Although that will not guarantee success, it is nice to have a Ferrari instead of a Yugo when you are about to get into a car race. He has flashed potential late last season and at times earlier this season. He has been out of position and he has lacked anticipation. These are coaching and maybe experiences issues that can be remedied. His foot injury has certainly slowed him and significantly impacted his game. Even playing through the pain, the injury robs you of your explosiveness.

My plan, if I was MM, would be to let go Capers and Greene. Perhaps tweaking the 3-4 a bit and getting better positional coaching would help.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has a broken foot. You are going to see what you want to see. Your general negativity and dislike of TT has skewed your objectivity.

Saying players like Mike Neal and Nick Perry are not very is good is not negativity, it's stating the obvious. I'm not being negative by saying bad players are bad. Do me a favor and rewatch the Bears game. Jay Cutler's jersey looked like he just picked it up from the dry cleaners.

Yes, Neal and Perry are injured year after year, but that doesn't make them good players because "extrapolating their stats makes them good". Up to this point, Perry's impact has been minimal at best.

Members online