Can Nick Perry step up and pick up some of Clay's Slack?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Old, that's a salient point. Moronic football fans always jump to conclusions. Perry has shown enough on the field to get more chances, he's not a bust yet.

As of his first two seasons in the league, he's in the bust zone. He's not good right now. He's make little to no impact on defense.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of his first two seasons in the league, he's in the bust zone. He's not good right now. He's make little to no impact on defense.

No one is saying that he's played well. However it's still way too early to call him a bust, especially when he has made impact plays on the field. Three sack fumbles in one season is not something you ignore. Ordinarily it's prudent to wait until a player's third season to see if they make something of themselves. I distinctly recall fans labeling Rodgers a bust even after his 2007 season. I remember fans saying the same about Nick Collins until he had a breakout year in 2008 and I clearly remember a lot of fans complaining about the selection of Jordy Nelson up until his 4th season in the league, lots of people were screaming that we should have taken Jackson instead. I usually give players, especially young ones, the benefit of the doubt. Quite frankly I don't care about the summer fans and their hairtrigger over the top reactions. They might not realize it but they generally look ridiculous and ignorant on these forums.

EDIT: Its always the same fans jumping the gun on young players, IMHO some of the people calling Perry a bust likely said the same things about players like Rodgers Collins and Nelson early in their careers.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one is saying that he's played well. However it's still way too early to call him a bust, especially when he has made impact plays on the field. Three sack fumbles in one season is not something you ignore. Ordinarily it's prudent to wait until a player's third season to see if they make something of themselves. I distinctly recall fans labeling Rodgers a bust even after his 2007 season. I remember fans saying the same about Nick Collins until he had a breakout year in 2008 and I clearly remember a lot of fans complaining about the selection of Jordy Nelson up until his 4th season in the league, lots of people were screaming that we should have taken Jackson instead. I usually give players, especially young ones, the benefit of the doubt. Quite frankly I don't care about the summer fans and their hairtrigger over the top reactions. They might not realize it but they generally look ridiculous and ignorant on these forums.

EDIT: Its always the same fans jumping the gun on young players, IMHO some of the people calling Perry a bust likely said the same things about players like Rodgers Collins and Nelson early in their careers.

Just because some fans jumped on Rodgers or Collins and were wrong doesn't mean anything in relation to Nick Perry. While he's young and often injured, his production is horrible. Two years of playing doesn't qualify as "hair trigger".

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because some fans jumped on Rodgers or Collins and were wrong doesn't mean anything in relation to Nick Perry. While he's young and often injured, his production is horrible. Two years of playing doesn't qualify as "hair trigger".

It's still early in his career. Maybe he turns out to be a bust or perhaps he stays healthy and turns into a very capable player, 3 sack fumbles in one season doesn't get swept away or ignored. A lot of young players who have gone onto successful careers had shown less at this point in their careers. Either he gets better or he gets replaced.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched the 4th quarter today so far because I was too nervous for this game (yeah, that 4th quarter almost killed me).... but the quarter I watched, it was ONLY ANDY MULUMBA, a rookie, UNDRAFTED guy who was in there at ROLB, and he was working his *** off.
I never once saw (or noticed) #53 in there.

But since I didn't watch before about 12:00 left in the game, I am clueless as to what he did before that.

Did Perry play?
Did he start?
Did he leave injured again?
Is his foot so much worse than Lacy's that he was unable to move?

Perry hobbled.
Matthews broken and out.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched the 4th quarter today so far because I was too nervous for this game (yeah, that 4th quarter almost killed me).... but the quarter I watched, it was ONLY ANDY MULUMBA, a rookie, UNDRAFTED guy who was in there at ROLB, and he was working his *** off.

But since I didn't watch before about 12:00 left in the game, I am clueless as to what he did before that.

Did Perry play?
Did he start?

Perry hobbled.
Matthews broken and out.

With a sprained ankle you can stabilize it. With a foot fracture their really isn't much you can do to alleviate the pain.

Lumba was working out there.

EDIT: I don't think you'll see much of anything from Perry in the Post-season. He'll need around 6-8 weeks of rest to fix his foot. Let's see if he can stay healthy and be productive next year.

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did Perry play?
Did he start?

Perry hobbled.
Matthews broken and out.

Did you see Forte's juke move in the 4th quarter just before the bears took the lead? THat was Nick Perry not able to tackle. He overran the play. He is now squarely in the bust category.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was garbage today and thankfully replaced by either Neal or Mulumba. He blew coverage on that pass to Forte and then sat and stewed about it and didn't make a damn effort on the tackle. I would have sent his *** to the locker room for that type of effort. F- for him today in a Glorious day for the Pack.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Perry can be an impactful OLB on a consistent basis without Matthews on the field with him. He has the tools to make big plays and be a very good OLB but has not been able to consistently as of yet, so I'm not sure he ever will. However, he is learning a new position, so I'm not going to harshly judge him until next year when he has had some time to learn the position. I like what I have seen so far, and think he could create a very good OLB core when Matthews is healthy. I do think he needs to be more consistent next season though, or his ability should be called into question. Right now effort is a bit of a question, learning the position and moves that go with it is definitely a question, and durability is a huge question.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Nick Perry may or may not become a bust. In his first two regular seasons he's played in 17 of 32 games, so it’s fair to say we haven’t seen a healthy Nick Perry very much. This is from a story which reported his foot was broken in the Ravens game:
Capers had benched Perry in favor of veteran Mike Neal against Detroit, but Perry responded with three sacks, two in the Lions game and one Sunday in which he forced a fumble that led to a field goal late in the first half.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...osed-a-broken-foot-b99119828z1-227762921.html That’s an example of Perry showing flashes but they’ve been few and far between.

I don't know how bad his foot is currently but I would really like to see a healthy Nick Perry for an entire season. He may still be a disappointment or a bust but there’s a chance he would become the player he was drafted to be. But here’s the thing I don’t understand:
Winner, Winner Chicken dinner! He has bust on his forehead.
This looks like a Packers fan celebrating his belief that a Packers first round pick is a bust. As a lifelong Packers fanatic I just don’t understand that mindset.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Perry may or may not become a bust. In his first two regular seasons he's played in 17 of 32 games, so it’s fair to say we haven’t seen a healthy Nick Perry very much. This is from a story which reported his foot was broken in the Ravens game: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...osed-a-broken-foot-b99119828z1-227762921.html That’s an example of Perry showing flashes but they’ve been few and far between.

I don't know how bad his foot is currently but I would really like to see a healthy Nick Perry for an entire season. He may still be a disappointment or a bust but there’s a chance he would become the player he was drafted to be. But here’s the thing I don’t understand: This looks like a Packers fan celebrating his belief that a Packers first round pick is a bust. As a lifelong Packers fanatic I just don’t understand that mindset.
There's a big difference in celebrating failure and being able to say I told you so.

Remember thousands of Packer fans booing in 2007 when Ted Thompson announced Justin Harrell as his pick there at the Atrium?
Those fans later could say "see I told you so" as Harrell was a 100% bust for various reasons, mostly injury-just like Perry so far.
But 100% of those Packer fans there who booed the selection WANTED TO BE PROVEN WRONG. They wanted Harrell to develop into a stud.
Just like Eagle fan who booed when they selected Donovan McNabb instead of Ricky Williams back in 1999.

You're too smart apparently to not understand the difference.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Bears game, Nick Perry might have just entered the bust zone.

He's been a bust dude. Any guy who spends so much time hurt, really hasn't shown much and was selected in the 1st round is a bust. Until he can be what Manny Lawson is to Aldon smith or what Elvis Dummervil is to Suggs he's a wasted first round pick. I watched the Eagles game last night and guess who i saw make some nice plays. Micheal Kendricks...the guy that would have fit perfectly here instead of the injury prone lost in coverage Nick Perry. How is it that he's been here two years and is still blowing assingments? running the same system?

Last edited:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But here’s the thing I don’t understand: This looks like a Packers fan celebrating his belief that a Packers first round pick is a bust. As a lifelong Packers fanatic I just don’t understand that mindset.

BS. There was nothing celebratory in my statement.

Last edited:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a big difference in celebrating failure and being able to say I told you so.

Remember thousands of Packer fans booing in 2007 when Ted Thompson announced Justin Harrell as his pick there at the Atrium?
Those fans later could say "see I told you so" as Harrell was a 100% bust for various reasons, mostly injury-just like Perry so far.
But 100% of those Packer fans there who booed the selection WANTED TO BE PROVEN WRONG. They wanted Harrell to develop into a stud.
Just like Eagle fan who booed when they selected Donovan McNabb instead of Ricky Williams back in 1999.

You're too smart apparently to not understand the difference.
Winner Frank!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Perry may or may not become a bust. In his first two regular seasons he's played in 17 of 32 games, so it’s fair to say we haven’t seen a healthy Nick Perry very much. This is from a story which reported his foot was broken in the Ravens game: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...osed-a-broken-foot-b99119828z1-227762921.html That’s an example of Perry showing flashes but they’ve been few and far between.

I don't know how bad his foot is currently but I would really like to see a healthy Nick Perry for an entire season. He may still be a disappointment or a bust but there’s a chance he would become the player he was drafted to be. But here’s the thing I don’t understand: This looks like a Packers fan celebrating his belief that a Packers first round pick is a bust. As a lifelong Packers fanatic I just don’t understand that mindset.

Agreed, he showed in those two games against Baltimore and Detroit that he could be a difference maker. Against Baltimore he was even dominant at times. He's shown enough to get more chances and it's premature to call the guy a bust just yet. Besides teams just don't give up on a physical talent like Perry, he'll probably get another shot next year and he'll likely be around the season after that. Just like the Packers didn't give up on Mike Neal, who I think you try to extend with an incentive laden deal for a reasonable base price before this team's season ends.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Nick Perry or Shea McClellin have been successful with their team in the first two years. As I'm sure you all know, Perry was projected to go to the Bears a few slots ahead of the Packers and McClellin. Shea was a good 3-4 prospect and Nick a good 4-3. In my opinion that's where they should have gotten taken because they both were selected for the wrong teams and systems.

McClellin has been a situational pass rusher only who's highlight of his career was the unlikely collar bone break on Rodgers. As poor as Perry has played at times it's an easy argument to make that Mclellin has played much worse. 3/4 of his sacks this year have come against the Packers and otherwise he has been largely ineffective, getting pushed around in the run game.

Perry on the other hand is much of the same, but surprisingly has about the same stats as McClellin (even better pass rush numbers) despite only playing about half the games. I admittedly haven't seen him in pass coverage much so I don't feel it's fair for me to comment on his play there, other than he started out his career poorly. He has at times struggled to hold his gap in the run game, but when he does he's a solid run stopper. He features the bull rush but has added a few moves (like the spin) in the off-season and looks improved.

I understand fans frustration at him for two reasons-the lack of staying healthy and for jumping offsides on special teams against the Steelers, but when he came out I predicted him as a 12 sack a year guy who would always have his faults (pass coverage) and everybody seemed fine with it. He's been young & injured but as ThxJack said his numbers extrapolate to 11 sacks this season WITH three fumbles forced ALREADY. Injuries aside that he can't control-could you ask more out of a second year player making a huge position switch with limited snaps? I don't think so. I still see the potential there. Maybe I'm an optimist.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The vast majority yes, but evidence provided on this forum shows otherwise. Not only with the "Winner winner.." with an exclamation point post but also a select few who openly hate the GM who built a Super Bowl winning team. IMO a fan doesn't celebrate being right ("I told you so!!") to the detriment of the team.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The vast majority yes, but evidence provided on this forum shows otherwise. Not only with the "Winner winner.." with an exclamation point post but also a select few who openly hate the GM who built a Super Bowl winning team. IMO a fan doesn't celebrate being right ("I told you so!!") to the detriment of the team.

On football forums there are always a few fans who seem more interested in being "right" than seeing their team succeed. They sulk when their targeted players start succeeding and then they go out of their way to find fault with said player. That and some fans have a habit of overreacting, lots of people on here who probably shouldn't watch games without a brown bag.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Perry is a bit of a riddle for me. Last season before he got hurt he was on pace for a 8-9 sack season but got hurt. I will ALWAYS remember that sack he had on Andrew Luck, that was a thumping! Also, I watched a video that Panini America made (they are a trading card company who have an exclusive relationship with Luck.) and they asked him what the biggest hit he EVER took was, and he said that hit the Perry gave him.

That being said, this season he has been iffy. Obviously he had that bad offsides vs. the Steelers. However, I must hold out hope. He was a 1st round pick for a reason. If they can get creative with their blitzes I think Perry can be a real monster.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's been young & injured but as ThxJack said his numbers extrapolate to 11 sacks this season WITH three fumbles forced ALREADY. Injuries aside that he can't control-could you ask more out of a second year player making a huge position switch with limited snaps? I don't think so. I still see the potential there. Maybe I'm an optimist.

Extrapolating stats is very, very dangerous. You can't just take a small sample size, multiple by a number then declare it good. A small sample size is just that, small. A lot of players can be All-Stars when you take their small stats and extrapolate them over a full year.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Inferring an intention to a post to suit yourself is something I don't understand. Posting winner, winner to another's post acknowledges nothing more than agreement. Some posters cannot post without an edge to them. So one is back on my ignore list. :tdown:

Last edited:

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can he play solid? Hopefully, but I'm not expecting too too much. Will he step up and play like Clay (when he's at his best)? Pretty much slim to none on that front.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Inferring an intention to a post to suit yourself is something I don't understand. Posting winner, winner to post acknowledges nothing more than agreement
That’s BS. The post you responded to said, “After the Bears game, Nick Perry might have just entered the bust zone.” (I added the underline.) There’s no celebration there or even certainty about Perry being a bust. “Winner, Winner Chicken dinner!” is more than just agreeing Perry might be a bust. And you remove all doubt about that with, “He has bust on his forehead.” It’s not a big deal but that’s just a display of crappy fandom IMO.
Some posters cannot post without an edge to them. So one is back on my ignore list. :tdown:
Putting me on ignore and giving me a “thumbs down”? Gee, how will I ever survive? Seriously, I’ve never put a poster on ignore and I never will. Probably like everyone else here, I pay more attention to the posts of some than others. Needless to say, you’re not in the former group, so ignore away! (note: a little celebration displayed with that exclamation point. :D)

H

HardRightEdge

That’s BS. The post you responded to said, “After the Bears game, Nick Perry might have just entered the bust zone.” (I added the underline.) There’s no celebration there or even certainty about Perry being a bust. “Winner, Winner Chicken dinner!” is more than just agreeing Perry might be a bust. And you remove all doubt about that with, “He has bust on his forehead.” It’s not a big deal but that’s just a display of crappy fandom IMO. Putting me on ignore and giving me a “thumbs down”? Gee, how will I ever survive? Seriously, I’ve never put a poster on ignore and I never will. Probably like everyone else here, I pay more attention to the posts of some than others. Needless to say, you’re not in the former group, so ignore away! (note: a little celebration displayed with that exclamation point. :D)
Two of my favorite posters fighting. It's like being with the family on the holidays. Can't we all get along? :tup:

I think in the final analysis Perry's going to be a tease.

He'll make some splash plays from time to time to make us think he's turned the corner and then he'll disappear for games at a times except for the occasional high profile screw up. Think Neal profile, another tease. The rap on Perry coming out was his inconsistent motor. Playing matador with Forte is emblematic of an effort issue, and when do we ever see him making a play in backside pursuit?

Perry's rookie deal was for 4 years, so I guess we'll have 2 more years to find out.

Neal? Who can say, but one's sense is they'll want to sign him. At least it shouldn't cost too much if they do.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts