Can Nick Perry step up and pick up some of Clay's Slack?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he can.
But only IF he can stay healthy..... can this guy last 5 games, or at least 1 game to start?

We need this guy, and Mike Neal, to A) stay on the field and B) raise their level.
They have to be able to get some pressure on QB's and hold edge containment on Forte.

Perry, this is a guy who was Ted Thompson's #1 pick last year, and this is THE TIME for that to pay dividends.

With no Matthews, Kevin Greene has to light a big fire under the big man's big ****, and get him playing with passion and violence out there.

I personally won't mind Perry, with hits like the one below on Luck, taking both Cutler and McCown out.
Payback, cleanly, is fine by me.

Violence.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. I didn't even know he played last week until he jumped off sides. Every four games he will make a play, get hurt, come back, and get hurt. Same cycle since he's been here. I will say what most of you will not. A wasted pick.

Harrison Smith
Bobby Wagner
Michael Kendricks

Would have all been better options at that spot. I really wanted Harrison Smith or Michael Kendricks over Perry to smh.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. I didn't even know he played last week until he jumped off sides. Every four games he will make a play, get hurt, come back, and get hurt. Same cycle since he's been here. I will say what most of you will not. A wasted pick.
  • Harrison Smith
  • Bobby Wagner
  • Michael Kendricks
Would have all been better options at that spot. I really wanted Harrison Smith or Michael Kendricks over Perry to smh.
We would be a lot better with any of those 3 players, except Smith who is on IR.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every now and then he flashes some drive so I'm hopeful that against the Bears he will bring something.
More than likely he will probably be injured and leave the game.
My gut feeling is he doesn't really want to be in Green Bay.
He did say at one point that he wanted to play in a 4-3 scheme.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every now and then he flashes some drive so I'm hopeful that against the Bears he will bring something.
More than likely he will probably be injured and leave the game.
My gut feeling is he doesn't really want to be in Green Bay.
He did say at one point that he wanted to play in a 4-3 scheme
Unfortunately he DID say that, before that draft.
That should have meant something.

Anyway, while doubtful, he can make up for that bad decision by Ted (so far) with a big game tomorrow.
Someone start feeding Nick whatever Aldon Smith, Von Miller, Tamba Hali, Cameron Wake, and Justin Houston eat before games.

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not ready to give up on Perry just yet. And Neal hasn't really played that much LB yet. They need to step up now ! If the Packers dont stop the run better in this game it won't matter anyway. The screen also could be huge for the Bears in this game, better watch for it. :cautious:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest here...Matthews wasn't exactly lighting it up when he was in this year. The hand injury has really affected him. Now, Matthews wasn't terrible but he ccertainly wasn't what we were used to. Having said that, I don't think it will be too tough for Perry to pick up his slack. The real problem is going to be who will man the other side and replace Perry over there.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually Perry has been a pretty good pass rusher when he lined up on the right side, where he´ll probably start tomorrow.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Let's be honest here...Matthews wasn't exactly lighting it up when he was in this year. The hand injury has really affected him. Now, Matthews wasn't terrible but he ccertainly wasn't what we were used to.
Matthews' sack numbers this season extrapolate to about 11 sacks over a 16 game season and he forced 3 fumbles this year which ties his career best. That’s not bad considering how many games he played with the thumb injury.

No one on the team can duplicate what Clay does, but the Packers need good games from Perry, Neal, and perhaps Mulumba - and the rest of the D, obviously.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mulumba and Nate Palmer will be the backups tomorrow to Perry and Neal.
With us, odds are that Neal or Perry will get hurt at some moment.
I can't recall seeing Palmer ever make a play yet..... Mulumba has made a couple.

It's a big dropoff from Perry and Neal to those guys.

Pressuring Cutler is huge.
So his holding the edge when Forte runs outside.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately he DID say that, before that draft.
That should have meant something.

Anyway, while doubtful, he can make up for that bad decision by Ted (so far) with a big game tomorrow.
Someone start feeding Nick whatever Aldon Smith, Von Miller, Tamba Hali, Cameron Wake, and Justin Houston eat before games.
He'll be fine. When he was playing from the ROLB position he had 4 sacks in 2 games. Not everyone can play from everywhere on the field, but he plays well from that spot.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews' sack numbers this season extrapolate to about 11 sacks over a 16 game season and he forced 3 fumbles this year which ties his career best. That’s not bad considering how many games he played with the thumb injury.

No one on the team can duplicate what Clay does, but the Packers need good games from Perry, Neal, and perhaps Mulumba - and the rest of the D, obviously.

How many of those plays came before he broke his thumb?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll be fine. When he was playing from the ROLB position he had 4 sacks in 2 games. Not everyone can play from everywhere on the field, but he plays well from that spot.

Perry is much bigger than CM3 so he's much better at holding the edge against the bigger, run blocking RTs. Most offenses run to the right so having Perry on the offense's right side is where you want him. CM3 is an excellent chase down run defender but if you put him at LOLB he won't get the chance to chase down that much, offenses will be running right at him.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry is playing on a bum foot. Let's wait another year before declaring him a bust, is that acceptable Captain's Conclusion?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder what the guys calling Perry a bust were saying about Rodgers after his second season. :whistling:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder what the guys calling Perry a bust were saying about Rodgers after his second season. :whistling:

Old, that's a salient point. Moronic football fans always jump to conclusions. Perry has shown enough on the field to get more chances, he's not a bust yet.

Members online

Latest posts