Can i get a tall receiver

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
DakotaT said:
P@ck66 said:
At least 3 legitimate WR's in a pattern would be nice, though....once in a while..!!!

When is the last time we had 3 legitimate NFL receivers on the field at one time? In Favre's career? Look hard boys, because I don't it has ever happened. Driver, Walker, and Fergy I guess. But I consider Fergy a one legged man in an *** kicking contest.

I get pissed sometimes at Favre's decision making, but can any of these bafoons running the show at 1265 Lombardi surround him with some legitimate talent.

1996 - Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman and Andre Rison. (Brooks was hurt in game 7 --- Rison came in late in the season)

2002 - Terry Glenn, Donald Driver and Javon Walker

True...

Kind of few and far between though..don't you think?

WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to far an in between.

How many teams have had a solid three WR trio though? The only team that comes to mind right away is the Colts. Before their current trio, who before them?

It's pretty hard to get even two solid WR, let alone three at the same time.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
It seems to me Z that the Drew Brees has a pretty good arsenal to throw to, and Carson Palmer for that matter.

Very good point. When was the last time the Bengals and Saints had a solid trio of WR though? That's kind of the point I'm going for lol

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Zero2Cool said:
DakotaT said:
P@ck66 said:
At least 3 legitimate WR's in a pattern would be nice, though....once in a while..!!!

When is the last time we had 3 legitimate NFL receivers on the field at one time? In Favre's career? Look hard boys, because I don't it has ever happened. Driver, Walker, and Fergy I guess. But I consider Fergy a one legged man in an *** kicking contest.

I get pissed sometimes at Favre's decision making, but can any of these bafoons running the show at 1265 Lombardi surround him with some legitimate talent.

1996 - Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman and Andre Rison. (Brooks was hurt in game 7 --- Rison came in late in the season)

2002 - Terry Glenn, Donald Driver and Javon Walker

True...

Kind of few and far between though..don't you think?

WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to far an in between.

How many teams have had a solid three WR trio though? The only team that comes to mind right away is the Colts. Before their current trio, who before them?

It's pretty hard to get even two solid WR, let alone three at the same time.
Well since the criteria is merely "solid" we will start off with the best and work our way down ;)

Tim Brown, Jerry Rice, , Jerry Porter. 2002 Oakland Raiders :thumbsup: .

Chad Johnson, TJ Whoshisname, Chris Henry. 2006 Bengals

Marty Booker, Wes Welker, Chris Chambers. 2006 Dolphins

Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitz, Bryant Johnson. 2006 Cards

I mean, Im sure there are more in recent history, but thats three pretty damn solid trios from this season alone, and one godly one from 2002 :twisted: .

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Well since the criteria is merely "solid" we will start off with the best and work our way down ;)

I mean, Im sure there are more in recent history, but thats three pretty damn solid trios from this season alone, and one godly one from 2002 :twisted: .

Wonderful, now when was the last time each of those teams had a trio of WR equal in talent? Again, that's my point. You don't get 3 good WR year in year out.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No..maybe not..

But you can get two good receivers (Driver, Jennings), and one or two serviceable vets like a Keyshawn Johnson, Erick Moulds, or Don Beebe type..

TT needs to sign some depth at WR...

When Jennings went down you had Donald Driver and a bunch of street guys...

Guys TT found on the street corner somewhere in GB, I think...

It's the whole NFL Europe talent problem thing at WR that the Packers had last year...some teams have 3 and 4 good receivers on the field and the Packers have trouble fielding 2 at times...

You forgot Dallas too...

(Owens, Glenn, Crayton, and their TE who's name escapes me know, is very good compliment of receivers...)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
No..maybe not..

But you can get two good receivers (Driver, Jennings), and one or two serviceable vets like a Keyshawn Johnson, Erick Moulds, or Don Beebe type..

It's the whole NFL Europe talent problem thing at WR that the Packers had last year...some teams have 3 and 4 good receivers on the field and the Packers have trouble fielding 2 at times...

You forgot Dallas too...

(Owens, Glenn, Crayton, and their TE who's name escapes me know, is very good compliment of receivers...)

If don beebe is considered serviceable, so is Ferguson.

We have Koren Robinson who is far more than serviceable, according to Brett anyhow, who claims Koren is the teams best deep threat WR.

Who's Crayton?

The Packers have had a decent WR with a serviceable WR more years than not the last 16 seasons. Sounds like people are just wanting to use that as an excuse for Brett making poor throws. Being a QB myself, and Brett is my second favorite player EVER, I wanna agree, but I know better.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
92 Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks
93 Sterling Sharpe, Mark Clayton
94 Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks
95 Robert Brooks, Mark Ingram
96 Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Don Beebe, Derrick Mayes (this guy was good!!, 7 catchs, 2 TD!), Andre Rison
97 Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman
98 Antonio Freeman, Derrick Mayes
99 Antonio Freeman, Bill Schroeder, Corey Bradford
00 Antonio Freeman, Bill Schroeder
01 Antonio Freeman, Corey Bradford, Bill Schroeder
02 Donald Driver, Terry Glenn,
03 Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson, Javon Walker
04 Javon Walker, Donald Driver,
05 Donald Driver, Antonio Chatman, (JW got injured in game 1)
06 Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Koren Robinson and Robert Ferguson formed a solid quartet of WR until suspensions an injuries took their toll.

To say the Packers have never had good WR for Brett is I feel inaccurate. Sharpe, Clayton, Brooks, Glenn, Rison, Freeman, Walker, Driver, Jennings and Robinson are all good to great WR.

The others listed I feel were more of a product of the system and Brett than anything else.

This might not seem like a lot of talent to some, but consider what the other teams have and go through.

We had good WR and currently, we do have good WR. They just happen to be suspended or dinged up. Then theirs Ferguson who I feel as a 4th WR is a good player, especially with his special teams play. He's not a 1 or a 2, thats for sure.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Ruvell Martin is tall. But he isn't very good. Cory Bradford was tall. But he wasn't very good. Then there was that guy they waived a few years ago, who went to Tampa Bay and is probably out of the league now. He was tall. But he stunk. Bill Schroeder was tall, but not very good.

Good post. Saved me a lot of typing. Charles Lee was the name you couldn't remember. Sherman (and Wolf, to be fair) routinely went gaga over tall "prototypical WCO" receivers. Trouble is, the only decent one we ever found was Walker. Tall doesn't mean good.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
No..maybe not..

You forgot Dallas too...

correct me if I am wrong here..but it seems you are complaining about the lack of talent we have had at the wr in the past and now the present, is this correct?

Now if that is what your thinking, who was in charge to get us depth as you call it at this spot in the past?

but now all of a suddenn Ted just HAS to get someone..

Seems like your admitting there never was any real talent at this spot but you quick to blame Ted for not getting anyone...But as some of us have been saying for a while now, this team was void of any real decent depth for a long time and it is just now coming to light in the last 2 seasons..

Ted is EXPECTED to fill every spot right away, or people call him a screw up..

Again that is not bashing you, nor is it baiting you..This is my honest opinion on how you are coming across at least on the issue of the WR spot..

EDIT

This is just one spot of the team that needs decent back ups, and it was that way for before Ted took over..

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
No..maybe not..

You forgot Dallas too...

correct me if I am wrong here..but it seems you are complaining about the lack of talent we have had at the wr in the past and now the present, is this correct?

Now if that is what your thinking, who was in charge to get us depth as you call it at this spot in the past?

but now all of a suddenn Ted just HAS to get someone..

Seems like your admitting there never was any real talent at this spot but you quick to blame Ted for not getting anyone...But as some of us have been saying for a while now, this team was void of any real decent depth for a long time and it is just now coming to light in the last 2 seasons..

Ted is EXPECTED to fill every spot right away, or people call him a screw up..

Again that is not bashing you, nor is it baiting you..This is my honest opinion on how you are coming across at least on the issue of the WR spot..

EDIT

This is just one spot of the team that needs decent back ups, and it was that way for before Ted took over..
I'm not calling Uncle Ted a screw up, I think all three GM's in Favre era have not supplied the hall of famer enough talent. If anything, this thread is a compliment to Favre because he has done so much with less than adequate surroundings.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Porky,

I guess I should have said.."Like a Keyshawn Johnson"...type player...

I'm just suggesting like a Moulds or Dante Stallworth...anyone who is a solid move the chains type receiver...a savvy vet who knows how to get open...or a guy who can stretch the field...A guy who's good for about 65-70 catches per year..

You have to admit, the Packers haven't really had any good #3 or #4 receivers who are consistant in awhile...

Well we would of had to trade to get Donte Stallworth. The Saints received a 4th round choice and a LB so Green Bay would of had to beat that offer.

Stallworth has also been nagged by injuries this year and hasn't done that much in the 2nd half of the season.

Again Moulds is an aging WR who signed a big deal this off season. Makes no sense to sign a guy who is not going to improve and is going eat away at our cap room. I think the right move was made getting Koren Robinson for a few games this year and next season.

Green Bay's problems aren't the receivers. It's finding a TE that can stretch the field. The receivers aren't the one's dropping passes. The TE's are.

Also neither Moulds or Stallworth is very tall.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not calling Uncle Ted a screw up, I think all three GM's in Favre era have not supplied the hall of famer enough talent. If anything, this thread is a compliment to Favre because he has done so much with less than adequate surroundings.

And that is EXACTLY my point...It has been that wat for a while and no one really complained, but as soon as Ted was hired all of a sudden its an issue.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously many here DO expect TT to fix everything at once. Having drafted Murphy last year, Jennings this year, and, signing KRob is, IMO, addressing an issue.

Let's be real here. You don't entice a good WR to come and play the #3. The teams that have that good #3 got a guy everybody THOUGHT was a #3 but turned out to be better and that usually won't last long and they become a #2 for somebody else.

Losing KRob was a blow and it probably wouldn't have turned out that way under the old Commish. The new guy came down harder than anyone anticipated.

For that matter I would be o.k. with KRob and Fergy back. The reason I say that is BF is not afraid to go to those guys whereas he has not gone to the #3 or 4 much at all. I believe DD, JJ, KRob, and, Fergy would command the respect of most teams and would have to because BF would be more willing to spread it around with those guys in there.

I would prefer to see a young talented WR out of the draft but let's be realistic. Who would Favre throw to more? A rookie or Fergy? For me it's what ever it takes to get him to spread it around.

Whatever the reasons are that cause him not to do this more has hurt the team. One obvious reason is that they don't get open but the truth is sometimes they are. He just doesn't have the confidence at the beginning of the play that they will get open.

Whatever #3 and 4 get's his confidence will certainly open it up more for #1 and 2 and thats when more points will come our way.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the issue is less to do with big name receivers and more to do with the the kind of WR who can create seperation, fight to make the catch or ideally be able to do both.

Free and Brooks both had the ability to somehow come down with the ball irrespective of whether they were open or whether it was thrown into coverage.

Steve Smith, Chad Johnson (before the emergence of TJ howeveruspellhis name), Terry Glenn & Hines Ward(last year), Marques Colston have all pretty much been part of a single receieving threat and yet found a way to get open and make receptions.

Apart from TO's brief tenure, the Eagles for some years now havent had any big name receivers and yet have continued to rank high in passing offense.

In all our losses in the last two years Driver has either been neutralised or unable to make that crucial reception that would've turned the game. This is not a criticism of Driver but more an observation on the fact that I think its not just a question of WR talent but a number of other factors that we havent had for sometime now.

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
celticraider said:

Wonderful, now when was the last time each of those teams had a trio of WR equal in talent? Again, that's my point. You don't get 3 good WR year in year out.
Actually that has nothing to do with what you asked. You asked
Now all of a sudden it's when was the last team a team had 3 WR of equal talent? Probably never. The Colts WR corp isnt "equal in talent" Harrison is more talented than Wayne, woh is more talented than Stokely. The Raiders trio had Rice who was more talented than Brown, who was more talented than Porter.

What kind of criteria is "equal in talent" anyway. How often do you find any trio on any team that are "equal in talent". When you are talking about a dominant trio of players, one is usually so good (ala Harrison) he takes the pressure off the others and double coverage rolls towards him.

Solid three WR trios (which was your question) are really not that rare.

Considering the Bengals had the same WR corp since last year, the last time they had one this good was 2005. The Cardinals have had their WR corp together since 2004. This was off the top of my head, Im sure if I looked I'd find more. A solid 3 WR set in the NFL is not uncommon.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
celticraider said:

Actually that has nothing to do with what you asked. You asked
Now all of a sudden it's when was the last team a team had 3 WR of equal talent? Probably never. The Colts WR corp isnt "equal in talent" Harrison is more talented than Wayne, woh is more talented than Stokely. The Raiders trio had Rice who was more talented than Brown, who was more talented than Porter.

What kind of criteria is "equal in talent" anyway. How often do you find any trio on any team that are "equal in talent". When you are talking about a dominant trio of players, one is usually so good (ala Harrison) he takes the pressure off the others and double coverage rolls towards him.

Solid three WR trios (which was your question) are really not that rare.

Considering the Bengals had the same WR corp since last year, the last time they had one this good was 2005. The Cardinals have had their WR corp together since 2004. This was off the top of my head, Im sure if I looked I'd find more. A solid 3 WR set in the NFL is not uncommon.

Try to follow along before you try to oust me. I asked a question, one was given, I then asked another question.

edit, nevermind, ur not worth the effort. U wanna be ignorant, thats cool, do that then. If you can't get the point, I'll take the blame. Now go find someone else to bust their balls over your nitpicking crap. Thanks.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My original point was that if you start with Brett Favre as your QB, it's a no brainer to try and bring in some stud receivers to build around so that you have a chance to win. That should be the first thing...behind building the O-Line...

Think about how this Green Bay team would be if Favre had Arizona's receiving corps...? or Cincinnati's? ..or Indianapolis's's's? ...or Dallas'ssss?
:thumbsup:
(I said the same thing when Sherman was GM. He didn't do it either.)

Look what has happened in the last two years however....

You have basically just Donald Driver as your only receiving threat again...

KRob got suspended. Jennings got hurt. I won't even mention Ferguson, and then you have a bunch of street free agents or NFL Europe quality players.

How can you expect to win that way?

KROB was a risk...Ferguson and underachiever..and we got unlucky with Jennings injury. If we would have had at least one more solid WR this year, I think we win a few more games and are in the playoffs...

Just the way I see it...

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Try to follow along before you try to oust me. I asked a question, one was given, I then asked another question.

edit, nevermind, ur not worth the effort. U wanna be ignorant, thats cool, do that then. If you can't get the point, I'll take the blame. Now go find someone else to bust their balls over your nitpicking crap. Thanks.
Wow, how many meltdowns do you have per discussion? You asked a question, I answered it, then you prefaced it with a really dumb question to make it sound like the first one wasn't quite as "short bus" as it seemed and I answered that one for you too. Now I'm an ignorant ball busting nitpicker.

I hope Santa delivers a few cases of kleenex under your tree this year. Seems like you must go through them by the truckload. Happy holidays!

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
My original point was that if you start with Brett Favre as your QB, it's a no brainer to try and bring in some stud receivers to build around so that you have a chance to win. That should be the first thing...behind building the O-Line...

Think about how this Green Bay team would be if Favre had Arizona's receiving corps...? or Cincinnati's? ..or Indianapolis's's's? ...or Dallas'ssss?

KRob got suspended. Jennings got hurt. I won't even mention Ferguson, and then you have a bunch of street free agents or NFL Europe quality players.

KROB was a risk...Ferguson and underachiever..and we got unlucky with Jennings injury. If we would have had at least one more solid WR this year, I think we win a few more games and are in the playoffs...

Just the way I see it...
All valid points. The Green Bay receiving corp since Farve has been here hasnt exactly been a who's who of future hall of famers.

go_pack_go

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If KRob comes back dried out from his suspension, he should be a pretty good, tall 3rd receiver, if not 2nd receiver.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Wow, how many meltdowns do you have per discussion? You asked a question, I answered it, then you prefaced it with a really dumb question to make it sound like the first one wasn't quite as "short bus" as it seemed and I answered that one for you too. Now I'm an ignorant ball busting nitpicker.

I hope Santa delivers a few cases of kleenex under your tree this year. Seems like you must go through them by the truckload. Happy holidays!

You did nitpick and were busting my balls. You did a good job of it. Being ignorant isn't a bad thing, I've said I was ignorant on this very forum. Don't be so defensive.

I apologize that my question was 'dumb' in your view. Not sure why you stooped so low, you got your way, I got mine.

You didn't answer the question either. Or I missed it. Could you please refresh my memory? You posted several nice trio's of WR. What I asked after that was when did they have a trio of WR of the same talent? I apologize for not being more blunt. I should also add this before you nitpick your way out of it.

When was the last time those teams you mentioned had three WR of that talent? OR atleast three WR that were really good?

Raiders 2002 and before that?
Bengals 2006 and before that?
Cardinals 2006 and before that?
Colts 2006 and before that?

I guess that's kind of vague for you as well, isn't it? How about this.

Three good WR, meaning that you can take any one of the three and put them on another team and they'd be either the number ONE or TWO starter as WR. Is that clear or do I need to go more in depth? :shrug:

Furthermore, I'm trying to say getting three WR that you can take any one of the three and they'd be a starter on another team is hard to come by.
I'd have liked the Packers to have done more(I'm a fan, I always want more, but I'm reasonable and understanding with how the system works) to get other WR or to KEEP WR they had. (ie, Mayes, Walker, Glenn, etc).

To say the Packers have failed at giving Brett good talented WR to throw to. I think is a bit of a stretch and thats coming from a Brett homer. I think the management has given Brett targets and good ones at that. They seem to get injured or suspended. d'oh! Is that the managements fault? Yes and no. Injuries are unpredictable (unless the player was injury prone prior to joining the Packers). The Koren situation I think was a good risk. I really think he'll be a good player for the Packers next year as the 3rd WR and KR.

Hopefully that clears everything up! :)

P@ck66 said:

Just the way I see it...

If Brett had any of those sets of WR we'd be freakin lethal! I think Brett's skills have diminished, but thats not to say hes not still a very good QB. He's far better than we have on the roster and I'm confident he's the best QB in the NFC.

I see your point, 66. I think if we had TE's that could that would be more important than ANOTHER good WR. Remember, good WR don't seem to fall off the trees, unless of course your the Patriots! Damn them! Damn them! Damn them!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would personally love to have a tall athletic WR on this team. Randy Moss type of TALENT for example. However not at the price of the Defense. Green Bay needs to fix their Defense before they focus on stockpiling with receivers. Spitz, Colledge, Moll, and Jennings will all be better next year. Plus Robinson will be back as well. The Offense right now has been rather good this year. Ranking 9th in the NFL in yards I believe.

If Green Bay can get a Defense to give Favre and the offense more chances and add one more target (in my opinion a quality Tight End) then I think we have the makings of a playoff team. Stockpiling players on offense so Brett Favre and the offense can rank high but continue to ignore the problems on Defense would be the wrong thing to do IMO.

They can't spend all the money in one year either.

Latest posts