Can Harris shutdown Father Time?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
While I agree that Harris is slowing down, I think the 2nd tier WR comment is a little over dramatic.. did he struggle against the top flight "larger" receivers.. yes he did, but he hung in there with most others in the league.

But it is becomming apparent the Harris's days at CB are numbered.. it will be interesting if he shallows his pride a little, shifts to safety to try and extent his career a little while.

This is a custom made article for Trom though.. could he be said scout? :p

A few weeks before Al Harris was embarrassed by Plaxico Burress in the NFC championship game, a scout for another team told us that the veteran cornerback was one of the most undeserving players voted to the Pro Bowl. While admiring Harris’ willingness to take on any and all opponents, the scout noticed a clear decline in his ability to keep up with even second-tier wide receivers once they eluded his initial jam at the line of scrimmage. “Harris never had great speed, but he always played faster than he timed,” said the scout. “That’s no longer the case. He probably runs about a 4.7 these days, and he often plays like it. I’ll admit that he didn’t give up an inordinate number of long completions last season, but that was due in large part to the mediocre group of quarterbacks the Packers faced on an almost weekly basis. I counted about a dozen times that a wide receiver got comfortably behind Harris, only to have the ball poorly thrown. He lived on the edge in 2007, and I have to wonder if he’s about ready to fall off.” Regardless of what they say in public, you have to believe that GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy are wondering the same thing.
More....

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What bugs me about Al Harris is that while he was getting torched vs the Giants, he kept running his mouth the whole time. :-? The more he talked, the more he got burned.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh cmon, it's not like I hate him, I just think he single handedly costed us the NFC Conference Championship(my opinion, yes others played poorly, but not that poorly).

A lot of people are saying this though. 2 aging CBs at a young man's position. At least woodson lays the hammer on people when he has the chance and doesn't do his best bullfighter moves like Harris, GOD I HATE HIM SO MUCH!

I think we will get a CB in the first round, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to be exact.

What bugs me about Al Harris is that while he was getting torched vs the Giants, he kept running his mouth the whole time. :-? The more he talked, the more he got burned.

Stop, please. I can't relive this. Too soon. Also, I heard that Al Harris comes from a line of Black Knights. He also liked to talk crap and get owned.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Oh cmon, it's not like I hate him, I just think he single handedly costed us the NFC Conference Championship(my opinion, yes others played poorly, but not that poorly).

I don't think you hate him.. the the critism crosshairs seem to fall upon #31 quite a bit last season..

A lot of people are saying this though. 2 aging CBs at a young man's position. At least woodson lays the hammer on people when he has the chance and doesn't do his best bullfighter moves like Harris, GOD I HATE HIM SO MUCH!

I agree it seems to be the vogue thing to do right now, kinda like the Favre comments in the offseason last year. Thing that people seem to forget with Harris though is that he played through the back issue last year.. watch some tape you can see that there was no flex in his back at all.. he played stiff all season.. to me, that was more vitale to his declined play than his loss of speed.. he has always played a bump physical style.. with recievers with more leverage and his ailing back.. I can see why he got beaten up.

I think we will get a CB in the first round, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to be exact.

I very well think either the 1st round or 2nd will net a corner.. I have to believe we will aquire a CB in a trade as well either draft day or soon there after... from the Raiders to be exact for maybe a WR... BTW.. if DRC is there at 30 or still on the board in the 20's.. I would be doing backflips..

Kansas or Arizona CB I think will be the choice..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that championship game they should have gave harris safety help. part of it is on the d. cord.

and on McCarthy, but they put their faith\gameplan on a guy who was supposedly a top 5 CB in the league.

It reminded me of when McCarthy would call pass plays on goal line because his QB was Brett friggin Favre, and he had faith in the man. It led to bad things. Same thing here. Also, they started spreading their offense out because they seen Harris couldn't hang with Plax. So they put more guys out there that the safeties would have to watch and limit the plays the safeties could help on. Giants didn't out-coach us, or out-play us, they out-playered us. They had a better fit of players against our team. We don't have a big fast STRONG CB type(like peanut tillman) so I guess what I'm saying is, this is all that Ted Thompson's fault for not having the roster as flexible as it should be. Fire Ted Thompson!

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
and on McCarthy, but they put their faith\gameplan on a guy who was supposedly a top 5 CB in the league.

Playing DA here.. but isn't the coaching staff, crosshair's aimed right at the DC, suppose to analyze the game as it progresses and make adjustments accordingly.. you can criticize Harris all day long (he deserves it) but equal if not greater blame should fall upon Sanders feet as well for not making some type of adjustment within the coverage.. my two drab pennies of thought.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Playing DA here.. but isn't the coaching staff, crosshair's aimed right at the DC, suppose to analyze the game as it progresses and make adjustments accordingly.. you can criticize Harris all day long (he deserves it) but equal if not greater blame should fall upon Sanders feet as well for not making some type of adjustment within the coverage.. my two drab pennies of thought.

You can play District Attorney all you want, Harris screwed us.

Also, if Woodson\Harris do their thing where it takes about 3 weeks for them to start playing consistent, I am going to be very pissed off. To their credit, it took them less time last year than the year before, but top 5 duo should be ready to go from week 1.

I hope both of them play great and end up going to the pro bowl, but I'm not counting on it.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahhh The blame game goes on and on.

THIS IS A TEAM GAME PEOPLE!!!!! You win as a team, you lose as a team.

It was quite obvious tha Al needed help with Burris early in the game but the coaching staff decide not to make any changes or give him the help.

In the end it was not Al Harris's fault, it was not Brett favres fault, it was not MM's fault, The Packers were just beaten by "on that day" the better team.

I think you will see Both our "so-called aging cb's" step up big time this year, knowing that the defense is going to have to be the leaders untill the offense gets accustomed of the changes.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like Pack93z said earlier; I am inclined to believe that much of Harris' problem last year was his aching back. Hope it gets better... but he's old, so who knows? I'll tell you who: Greg Jennings.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

MM and TT are aware of this. TT will draft 2 DBs.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It was quite obvious tha Al needed help with Burris early in the game but the coaching staff decide not to make any changes or give him the help.

In the end it was not Al Harris's fault, it was not Brett favres fault, it was not MM's fault, The Packers were just beaten by "on that day" the better team.

I think you will see Both our "so-called aging cb's" step up big time this year, knowing that the defense is going to have to be the leaders untill the offense gets accustomed of the changes.

Well said. NOBODY was going to beat the Giants. They wanted to win more badly than any other team in the NFL. Look what they did to the best Offense EVER.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris gets burned by big WR's. He can't cover them. Like TO for example. He needed help, and didn't get it.
Other then the big tall guys, he did ok. But he has shown he can't cover those kinds of WR's, and the coaching staff need to game plan accordingly.

Reaction score
I think you have to cut Harris a little slack, it isn't his fault only. Our Offense could have done a much better job in Time of Possession, thus limiting the time that our defense saw on the field, for example.

I like Al, I still think he has at least one good year left in him.

The problem with TO was more because Al was forced to play Nickel CB when he doesn't do that at all. If we had C-Wood in that game, I really do believe the Packers would've been able to contain TO. That's not a strike against Al as much as it is a statement about Al and Charles being two players that complement each other.

That said, I expect Ted to draft a CB fairly high in the draft, the second round if not with our 30th pick.

DCR is someone that I don't think will make it to the Packers, and I don't see Ted trading up to get a CB when this CB class is so deep.

I'm thinking the Packers will take either Cason or Patrick Lee on day one, and then select either CB Terrell Thomas or CB Antwaun Molden on day two. I expect us to come out with two CBs in the draft.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IronMan said:

Stop, please. I can't relive this. Too soon. Also, I heard that Al Harris comes from a line of Black Knights. He also liked to talk crap and get owned.
:rotflmao:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hmmmm, I read this and I hear ... "It's a team game.. Everybody has to work together... Distribution of Wealth... (or in this case, Distribution of Blame) Laborers unite..."

That sounds to me like ******-talk..... Have you been going to weekly meetings, or "Parties" with AADP, Buckeye? Have they asked you to start passing out little red pamphlets?

Use caution, my friend. They are watching... :shock:

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Hmmmm, I read this and I hear ... "It's a team game.. Everybody has to work together... Distribution of Wealth... (or in this case, Distribution of Blame) Laborers unite..."

That sounds to me like ******-talk..... Have you been going to weekly meetings, or "Parties" with AADP, Buckeye? Have they asked you to start passing out little red pamphlets?

Use caution, my friend. They are watching... :shock:

:?: :?: :idea: :D :D :D :D

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt DRC is there when the Packers pick. I agree we need to hit CB early, probably looking at an Antoine Cason kind of pick.

Harris probably has 1 good year of starting left in him. I would like to think that he'd be willing to convert to our nickel CB and let Blackmon or this years possible CB draft pick slide in and take over.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris gets burned by big WR's. He can't cover them. Like TO for example. He needed help, and didn't get it.
Other then the big tall guys, he did ok. But he has shown he can't cover those kinds of WR's, and the coaching staff need to game plan accordingly.

And he's an elite CB?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom plain hates Harris.

Nice sigs, packinblack, and 93,Trom. I must have missed new sig day.

I hate that he broke my heart! I used to love al harris, easily one of my top 5 packers on the team, but getting destroyed and talking trash while doing it angers me.

McCarthy and Sanders were probably thinking "He'll start playing better, no way he can play 60 minutes of bad football, right? Right?!?!"

He can win my love again by being a good consistent CB from week 1 - Superbowl this year.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Woodson is better than Harris, as some people think, then Mike McCarthy must be the dumbest coach in the NFL to always match Harris up against the other team's #1 receiver. The reality is that they are very close in their abilities, and they are a great tandem--one of the best in the league. And I sure don't remember many big days for opposing #1 receivers against Harris last year. Terrell Owens ran up some big numbers, but Harris was playing zone and about half or more of Owens' catches were against other defenders.

Yes, Al got abused by Plaxico Burress in the NFC title game, and yes, his days as a top-tier NFL CB are numbered. But Burress played the game of his life, and Eli Manning also played way better than expected. I think Al and the coaching staff were caught by surprise, because Burress had been banged up all season and hadn't really been much of a factor going into that game. But he got healthy for that one game against the Pack and played great, before reinjuring himself the week before the Super Bowl and ending the season with another poor game (although he did manage to catch the game-winning TD).

I don't see Harris ever switching over to safety. He is tough, but I can't think of any players that skinny who play safety. I don't think his body could hold up to the pounding for an entire season.

I would like nothing better than to see the Pack take a good CB in the first round of the draft, as an heir apparent to Harris or Woodson.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts