Can Grant Carry the Load?

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Edgar Bennett says he believes Grant physically could handle a full, 25- to 30-carry load if called upon. But it seems unlikely the Packers would lean on Grant so heavily in the season’s early stages, even without considering the financial commitment they made to him last month (four years, up to $30 million). Coach Mike McCarthy slanted the starting offense’s focus in the preseason toward preparing new quarterback Aaron Rodgers while running sparingly with Grant’s fill-in, second-year pro Brandon Jackson (17 carries for 73 yards). That could be the offense’s identity early, as it was last season.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 833&spln=1

I hope he can, and hope he is in shape. I see a backfield by commitee come Monday though. I think all three guys get the ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see ten touches out of Grant. Hopefully Jackson is indeed the stud MM thinks he is.

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what happens with this running game against the Vikings D. Hopefully they can make some impact and lessen the pressure that Rodgers will be getting.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe Grant will be in shape, he might take a game or 2 to get stamina ( i love using that word ) up but over all will be good to go..

Last year at that private party he refused to eat a piece of HIS birthday cake, because as he said " I need to watch what goes into my body)

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings were very sparing with Adrian Peterson in their preseason but I don't hear any one asking whether AP will be able to go full tilt Monday night. Grant's reserve was for injury but he probably wouldn't have been left out on the field too much in preseason anyway because of the injury risk issue. Grant will be ready and good.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about Grant on Monday night.

i agree im looking forward to see him run ... he should be fine ... i hope they get him out there and run him ... we need a strong running game ... if we want to have it Grants the back to get it going ...

TeamGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant will beable to carry the load, without a problem. Its sometimes great having a guy like him who we all know what he can do, but seems he is not AP or LT, doesnt get all the hype and fear that they do... then he can do what he does best, get solid yardage, keep the chains moving and the TD's will come!!

Its not only Rodgers coming out from behind a Shadow, Grant has just as much on him to get GB known as having a Running game aswell as just Passing!! it was exciting watching him run last night, he rang with power, great feet and was rewarded with a great YPC!!

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's gets a carry of 20+ yards every game he plays. He's a certified home run hitter. He's the perfect fit for our offense since we're a pass first offense anyways, so he usually won't get more than 17-20 carries a game but the one big home run threat will always be there so they have to keep honest.

Marante

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that grant is in shape but I see him yesterday a little slow than normal, that because his recovery from his hamstring and don't be at 100%... I think in a week or two he will be able to carry the football 25 times per game and with his skill at 100%

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think we need to run him more than 20 snaps ... IMO but if we want a strong running game we need to make an effort at it ... 20 snaps just wont cut it ... i say give Grant a week or two ,, to get back into the game ... then let him run ... is it just me or does Grant seem to run way better on vertical plays ??

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to have a few doubts. First is his hammy which can be touchy all year. Secondly is his conditioning since he hasn't been worked hard so far. I have little confidence in Jackson so I'm hoping Lumpkin can step up from obscurity.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brnt247 said:
He's gets a carry of 20+ yards every game he plays. He's a certified home run hitter. He's the perfect fit for our offense since we're a pass first offense anyways, so he usually won't get more than 17-20 carries a game but the one big home run threat will always be there so they have to keep honest.

Seconded. Grant is an excellent runner who can carry the load 20-25 times a game when needed, but it won't be every week because of the offense and the emergence of Rogers as a passer. Plus, with Jackson looking good and I am a fan of Kregg Lumpkin, I think that he will be fine, post decent numbers, and still be somewhat fresh later in the season. He is also coming off that hammy injury so I'm sure the best is to come this season :)

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dansz15 said:
brnt247 said:

Seconded. Grant is an excellent runner who can carry the load 20-25 times a game when needed, but it won't be every week because of the offense and the emergence of Rogers as a passer. Plus, with Jackson looking good and I am a fan of Kregg Lumpkin, I think that he will be fine, post decent numbers, and still be somewhat fresh later in the season. He is also coming off that hammy injury so I'm sure the best is to come this season :)

after last week i too was happy with Jackson ... if Jackson can keep running the way he did we have some kind of running game .... i also agree with Lumpkin ,, i think he will have something to offer to the run game ... so i geuss if the two running backs step up ,, no need to run Grant more than 20 snaps ... Of coarse Jackson needs to keep on track ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts