1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Can Favre excel at 35 years old?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by IPBprez, Sep 7, 2005.

1. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Posted Sep. 07, 2005
    [​IMG]
    Eric Goska
    E-mail Eric Goska at
    sports@greenbaypressgazette.com

Can Favre excel at 35 years old?

Sunday in Detroit, Brett Favre will continue on a path few Packers quarterbacks have taken. The question is, can this less-traveled road lead to a Super Bowl title?

Favre, Green Bay

2. Buckeyepackfan

Buckeyepackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

3. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    No offense to anyone. That's a dumb question. He most def. can and will!

Fourth MVP here it comes!

4. Miskito

Miskito Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

5. Hammer

Hammer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    BF's int percentage is 3.33 now vs. 2.98 earlier in his career. That's one INT per 300 passes. Whoop-dee-freaking-doo.
    Hammer

6. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Miskito....I thought Grossman started as a rookie before he got hurt. I must be wrong!

7. favrefourevre

favrefourevre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No Grossman did start the last 3 games of 2003. Did you mean opening day starter?

8. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    yeah grossman played the last 2 or 3 games of his rookie season.

9. Miskito

Miskito Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry - I meant for an opening day game.

10. Obi1

Obi1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Favre reminds me a BIT of Lance Armstrong, who was accused of being too old to be considered a favorite for the Tour de France for the last 3 years... And what happened?

Favre is alike. He has been considered 'getting old' for last few years... and he has been having considerably good seasons... He will have his best year in a while as he came to camp fit, focused, and ready.

"...Will the lady that dropped off 11 kids at soldier field please come and pick them up... They are beating the Bears 17-3..." - A radio announcer at a Chicago station.

11. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm wondering if he can still be effective at 40. Barring injury and if he keeps a personal trainer I don't see any reason he can't. Of course, that would not make Mr. Rodgers very happy.

12. Philtration

Philtration Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    I believe that Favre would have had a better season at age 35 if they had resigned their O linemen. When given time to throw, he will kill you. When hurried he will force the ball into coverage and I think that a lot of teams are going to test that theory this season.

13. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    35 today is ALOT different than 35 in the ol' days....

alot of those guys were flabby and over the hill when they hit 32....

(i don't think QB's trained like they do today in the NFL)

Remember Fran Tarkenton? He wasn't exactly a physical specimen..yet strangely enough...the way he played he was able to be effective until his mid to upper 30's..i believe....

so the answer is..who the "ef" knows? it depends on the person, i guess....

Warren Moon was pretty good until 40...though never won any championships...

14. Cheesehog

Cheesehog Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Brett can still produce because his passion and heart for the game is stronger than some of the other qb's mentioned. But that could diminish with losing. Let's hope the Packers have competitive seasons to keep him around a little longer. Also, didn't George Blanda play for the Bears late in his career?

15. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Blanda started with the Bear. He retired with the Oakland Raiders at, I believe, 49.

16. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I seen a blurb on the NFL channel where Joey Harrington said he hopes he's as good as Favre is when he gets to be Favre's age. I heard that and was thinking he should hope to be as good as Favre is right now considering Harrington is entering his prime years and still isn't as good as an older Favre that doesn't run like he use too.

I think Favre can still be good, if not better than last year after his off season training. My only worry is that a rookie like Whitticker might miss an assignment or something and get Favre killed back there. I'm not knocking Whitticker, it's just that a rookie will be more prone to mistakes while he's learning. I just hope a mistake doesn't cost Favre. Otherwise I'm looking forward to another good year from Brett.