Can a Flynn led team beat Detroit?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn has already proved he can beat the Lions. Let's all keep in mind the last time he played the Lions he didn't have the type of run game that he has now running behind him. Lacey is good enough to take a huge ton of pressure off Flynn and Flynn is capable enough to allow Lacey not to have to run against a 9 man front every single play.

Flynn allows MM to expand his playbook..and what i mean by that is with Tolzien the guy was just a terrible intermediate passer. Yea he completed some long passes but Flynn is not afraid to use his 3rd or 4th option and doesnt stare down wr's like Tolzien. This offense line has to be fixed tho..they looked bad yesterday on a drive that could've won the game. That last drive was just Terrible.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm fine with giving MM credit for putting Flynn in, if we can ask the organization why Flynn wasn't called the minute that Rodgers went down, and if they think we would be better than 5-5-1 if we had.

Flynn was called when Rodgers went down...I believe they called him the next day...Flynn mentioned it in one of his 1st interviews It took till the next week to get him in

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he can but as Dan 115 said we're going to need a better defensive effort than we have been seeing the last few weeks.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he can but as Dan 115 said we're going to need a better defensive effort than we have been seeing the last few weeks.

I think we will, Defense flopped in all of the efficiency measurements once Rodgers went down and then improved markedly once Flynn came in. They only gave up 6 points in 2 quarters with Matt Flynn starting. I think too many fans on here failed to account for the mental impact losing Rodgers had on the other side of the ball. Without the team's franchise player too many defenders were worried about making plays and doing too much. This results in poor gap discipline and blown assignments in the secondary.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we will, Defense flopped in all of the efficiency measurements once Rodgers went down and then improved markedly once Flynn came in. They only gave up 6 points in 2 quarters with Matt Flynn starting. I think too many fans on here failed to account for the mental impact losing Rodgers had on the other side of the ball. Without the team's franchise player too many defenders were worried about making plays and doing too much. This results in poor gap discipline and blown assignments in the secondary.
Well that's a theory. The defense has been plagued by poor tackling, missed assignments in the secondary, and gap discipline long before Rodgers went down. And they didn't preserve a victory yesterday when they had the opportunity.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
MM better name Flynn as starter for Thursday. If not Im breaking something.

Personally, I hope MM doesn't announce who is starting Thursdays game. Even let rumors float around that AR may be ready. Why give Detroit the easy job of preparing for one quarterback, when they have to think about 3?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we all agree that we should just go ahead and sign Flynn to a multi-year deal to be our backup after this year? There's no incentive for either side not to. Flynn can't get a permanent job anywhere else, and the Packers can't get an effective backup QB anywhere else.

I can't explain why a guy who couldn't stay on his feet in Seattle, Oakland, and Buffalo can come back here and look like he never left, but for whatever reason, it just works for both sides. Don't fight it by going into next year with another late round project or aging veteran. Just sign him and let's stop having all these worries and discussions about a backup quarterback.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I hope MM doesn't announce who is starting Thursdays game. Even let rumors float around that AR may be ready. Why give Detroit the easy job of preparing for one quarterback, when they have to think about 3?

Is this a violation of NFL ethics? Not saying not to, just seriously wondering. In most cases coaches seem pretty transparent about their starting QB but there certainly have been exceptions.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Can we all agree that we should just go ahead and sign Flynn to a multi-year deal to be our backup after this year? There's no incentive for either side not to. Flynn can't get a permanent job anywhere else, and the Packers can't get an effective backup QB anywhere else..

Such talk will come at the end of the season and will obviously be determined by the way Flynn plays from here on out. I have a feeling though that what Flynn will be asking and what the Packers are willing to pay, might send Flynn packing to another team that sees the potential he shows as a Packer.

Did he look "capable" out there, yes. But Detroit will be a better test. The Queens were playing soft when Matt came in and when they tightened things up, only a questionable defensive holding call kept us in the game. Not getting the Pack into the endzone on two separate first and goal opportunities is a black eye for Matt (and the coaching staff)......but then again AR had that issue this year

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is this a violation of NFL ethics? Not saying not to, just seriously wondering. In most cases coaches seem pretty transparent about their starting QB but there certainly have been exceptions.

I don't think you are required to announce your starting line-up. You are required to report your injury status truthfully. No reason AR can't be upgraded to questionable. From all reports, he could play right now, its just a matter of shopuld he play, medically.

bear7625

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that's a theory. The defense has been plagued by poor tackling, missed assignments in the secondary, and gap discipline long before Rodgers went down. And they didn't preserve a victory yesterday when they had the opportunity.
Sadly, If you look back over the last couple years, our D has suffered through the same problems. It pains me to say... but we cant make the playoffs the way our D is playing and if we do, we wont go far unless they step it up and play all 4 quarters!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Such talk will come at the end of the season and will obviously be determined by the way Flynn plays from here on out. I have a feeling though that what Flynn will be asking and what the Packers are willing to pay, might send Flynn packing to another team that sees the potential he shows as a Packer.

Did he look "capable" out there, yes. But Detroit will be a better test. The Queens were playing soft when Matt came in and when they tightened things up, only a questionable defensive holding call kept us in the game. Not getting the Pack into the endzone on two separate first and goal opportunities is a black eye for Matt (and the coaching staff)......but then again AR had that issue this year

Detroit will be a better test, but it works the other way too -- Flynn will have a full week (well, a few days anyway) of practice and preparation with the first team offense which should help him come in more prepared.

I can't see Flynn having much bargaining power this time around. At most, he should have 1 or 2 starts before Rodgers returns. After failed stints in 3 places where he couldn't hold even a backup job down this year until now, he likely won't be looked at as the commodity he was after the 2011 season.

The average NFL backup QB salary of about $1.5M should be in the ballpark of fair and agreeable to both. 2 years, $3M.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Detroit will be a better test, but it works the other way too -- Flynn will have a full week (well, a few days anyway) of practice and preparation with the first team offense which should help him come in more prepared.

I can't see Flynn having much bargaining power this time around. At most, he should have 1 or 2 starts before Rodgers returns. After failed stints in 3 places where he couldn't hold even a backup job down this year until now, he likely won't be looked at as the commodity he was after the 2011 season.

The average NFL backup QB salary of about $1.5M should be in the ballpark of fair and agreeable to both. 2 years, $3M.

Ohhh if Matt keeps playing well, $1.5M would be a bargain and prevent what happened this year when AR went down from happening again. But if Matt keeps improving, we won't get him that cheap and if Matt still thinks he can start for another team, we won't get him at all. But, as you pointed out, his past history is a big negative for him on that end.

Tough call for TT, try to extend him now, while he is still a questionable commodity or wait and see that he is legit and then not be able to sign him or at a much higher price. If I am TT, don't give him any guaranteed money, but lock him up now with an incentive heavy contract.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Gap discipline was certainly not a problem prior to Rodgers' injury. Up until Chicago the Defense was increasingly regarded as a strength of the team and was one of the better units in the league.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gap discipline was certainly not a problem prior to Rodgers' injury. Up until Chicago the Defense was increasingly regarded as a strength of the team and was one of the better units in the league.
The failure to maintain gap discipline has been the subject of many articles going back several years. The coaches have talked about it often. Blaming the defensive shortcomings the last few weeks on Rodgers not playing is an excuse I don't accept.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Can he?

Did you watch Detroit yesterday? As bad as our defense is, theirs could be even worse.

Yes he can beat Detroit, just as easily as they could beat us. This game will probably come down to the last possession.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What defense? The one the Vikings ran through like a hot knife through butter? All we needed was a stop in o.t. and we had the win.
IMO the D-Fence improved when Flynn went out there.
True, they didn't stop the Vikings from tying the game.
But I thought they did better then we have seen them in awhile.
And they did keep the Vikes from winning.

Members online

Latest posts