Camps will show just how good or bad this Draft was

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although some of you have made your decision(Fair Weather Fan Thread, Worst Offseason Ever thread. lol) you might want to do some logical things.

The first one is "Wait and See"

Every year after the draft, there is outrage! RAH! Why did we take that guy?! WHY!? We should have taken the other guy! Jeez!

Some years there is more outrage than others. This being one of the bigger years due to the suprise move of drafting DT Justin Harrell in the first round. Who?

That'll happen though. Every year. Usually not the first round as much, but definitely multiple times a draft. Who? Why?

But Wait and See. If you are really down on the draft or if you're really stoked for it, maybe you should play it cool till we see what these guys have.

"Greg Who?"

Every year this happens. Before a snap is played, every player is judged. It's funny that way. Here is something from the aftermath of last years draft:

Fantasy~Freak*4*Life said:
Myself and some friends were watching the draft today and we were so excited after the first round knowing that we would get some prime time players in the early 2’nd round that could produce this year.

The second round came and, we knew that Denver most likely would deal to get Walker. Which would leave us with 2 great early picks, and us fans that believe we know what is good for our team, were feeling very confident that Brett would get C Jackson, and possibly L. White. But guess what loyal packer fans this ******* ****** Thompson trades 36 and lets Jackson go and then gets rid of Javon to Denver for WHO? We then gets rid of the #37 pick.

So let me get this straight we get rid of a Pro Bowl Receiver and get what in return? No Lilie or anything to replace him which meant we lost our most potent WR. We don’t get Jackson, White or any impact players in the second round.

Yeah, no playmaker in the 2nd round. Green Bay selected Greg Jennings in the 2nd round.

But that is just 1 example of many of overreacting.

I know I'm not the only one who remembers outrage. Then camps started. There were reports on who was doing well, who was hurt. Then there were blurbs here and there about that young Jennings kid who was doing well. Then every report you read, when it mentioned the WR position, Greg Jennings was named as doing very well. Neat! Too bad GB didn't get a playmaker in the 2nd round.

Ok, enough ranting on that specific issue, you get the point. Wait it out. See if Jimbo Jones and David Clowney become the next Jennings. They could. They could also be the next Cory Rodgers, who was drafted last year and cut after underperforming. As a Packers fan, I will hope it works out for them. I've read and seen good things on just about every draft pick this year, but nothing is etched in stone just yet. Wait and see. It will be fun.

Don't be one of those fans with short memories. Ted Thompson is good at drafting players. While many criticize his lack of free agent dealings, there is little reason to doubt his drafting abilities.

But it's a free country, go ahead and doubt GB's scouts and Ted Thompson's drafting ability. Go ahead and think it sucks.

Nick Collins, AJ Hawk, Brady Poppinga, Aaron Rodgers, Marviel Underwood, Tyrone Culver, Daryn Colledge, Abdul Hodge, Jason Spitz, and Greg Jennings might disagree with you.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins- good but not great safety - not exactly a great second rounder,

AJ Hawk - good player, but he better become great otherwise he won't be worth the 5th pick,

Brady Poppinga - really good value in the 4th,

Aaron Rodgers - hasn't played so who knows if he's any good, but he hasn't shown much in his limited opportunities,

Marviel Underwood - has some ability, but was said to be injury prone when drafted and lo and behold he missed an entire season last year,

Tyrone Culver - decent value for a 6th rounder and I'll be happy if he's a solid special teamer for his career,

Daryn Colledge - lost his job then got it back by default and didn't really look too impressive to me last year given that we had to keep an extra RB and TE to help out the OL

Abdul Hodge - looked good in camp but was bloody awful against Seattle (and that includes the INT returned for a TD that fell into his hands),

Jason Spitz - looks to be a solid player, but see comments re College above,

Greg Jennings - should be a solid player, but really disappeared after abour week 6 or 7 last year and he won't ever be anything truly special.

TT has replenished the depth on this team, I'll give him that, but he hasn't found a true impact player in any of his three drafts, though AJ Hawk could become one some day. The best thing I can say about him though is that he kept the young guys who had some potential on the roster and gave them the opportunity to play which is something for which he deserves kudos.

Reaction score
TO, I think you are wrong about Jennings.

WRs coach said in his press conference yesterday that Greg was injured from week 6 on out, and that really limited his explosiveness.

We say Jennings making plays, and I think he can be a play maker. Anyone who can take a short pass, and turn them into TDs (whether it be through himself, or through passing the football after catching it), he can get you points on the board.

Ditto for Collins, he has displayed play making potential. Last game against the Bears, he was a dominant S that we have sorely lacked for a while. Only problem is, you gotta ask where the hell that domination was for the first 15 games.

As for Colledge, he may not have been anything special, but he held up alright. Considering that he was just awful (and that is an understatement) against the Charges in the first pre-season game, I think his improvement is a great sign.

I still think getting impact players after the top 5-6 picks is like finding a needle in a haystack. He may not have found that special player, but he has found a couple that seem to flash their game changing talent. I think with time, they'll become the impact players any legit Superbowl contending team needs.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i disagree as well

how can AJ Hawk not be considered an impact player. he freakin led the team in tackles last year... thats a pretty big impact right buddy.

The offensive line doesnt get enough credit either. the three interior guys were about average age 21 and all of them were put into the starting lineup immediately. thats crazy tough to become even competitive and i think they deserve the credit for it.

Greg was great last year.... you cant help injuries, its a part of football.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year will be telling for just about all of the guys on this list. Either they make strides toward their potential or it will be a disappointment. In the NFL, if you don't hit your stride by year 3, then you are behind, and in year two, you better show some real improvement.

Edit: That being said, I am hopeful that all of these players can be important peices of a winning team.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to say I think the whole list of comments is crap. Sorry.

I mean we are looking at a team made up of a lot of young players that did manage to improve by four wins even though there were times we saw three rookie offensive linemen in there.

Our defense went from God awful to pretty damn good at the end there and I don't know what more you could want from Hawk at this point and finding Jenkins' to be a BEAST at DE is invaluable.

Jennings had a bad sprain and everyone could see as plain as day someone fall on it every game which never allowed him to heal. You have to be about the only one not optimistic about his future.

Totally forgotten is fact we had about eight young guys last year make big contributions and that teams like THAT are the ones that continue to improve. I'm talking about when young players get experience and stay together and a team is molded from it.

Your slant gives no credit for a team that is growing together while growing up and it's almost as if there is really no hope they will get better which is missing the whole point of where this team is in reality.

It's ALL about a group of young guys coming in and helping a whole group of people get better at what they do and it's like none of these guys have any upside IYO which I disagree with totally.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I always forget how anticlimactic the draft is, simply because we don't see anything at the draft! We have to wait for camp to get a first glimpse of what we have.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got 11 new players in the draft and some new ones in free agency, some will make it and some won't. Just like some of last year's players will progress this year, and some of them won't. And regardless of what happens, some fans will see diamonds in the rough and others will see pieces of glass in the satin.

The only thing that really matters is how any of this affects the win/loss record. If we win, somebody did a good job putting together a team, coaching that team and playing well on the field. If not, well they didn't and it will probably affect their job security.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got 11 new players in the draft and some new ones in free agency, some will make it and some won't. Just like some of last year's players will progress this year, and some of them won't. And regardless of what happens, some fans will see diamonds in the rough and others will see pieces of glass in the satin.

The only thing that really matters is how any of this affects the win/loss record. If we win, somebody did a good job putting together a team, coaching that team and playing well on the field. If not, well they didn't and it will probably affect their job security.

Well, actually if we lose, we'll have to hear the "we are young and building" for the next 30 years.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:

Well, actually if we lose, we'll have to hear the "we are young and building" for the next 30 years.

Good one, flap

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense

Offensive line: I think we're in pretty good shape here, look for Colledge and Spitz to improve vastly and our whole O-line with Tauscher, Clifton, Colledge and Spitz to improve a lot as a unit.

Quarterback: Naturally we're in good shape here with Brett Favre and backups Aaron Rodgers and Ingle Martin.

Runningback: For many, one of the big question marks. I believe our rookie Brandon Jackson is going to battle Vernand Morency for the starting job to the last minute before the season opener.

Wynn might be a surprise if he can get his head in the right place. I myself think Brandon Jackson will be our starter, if not for the season opener probably within a couple of games. Vernand Morency will continue as a good change of pace back and Wynn might be the power back we need to get the yards we need in small yardage and goal line situation.

Wynn will battle with Beach and Herron for that 3rd spot and I think he will win if, and only if he starts to use his muscles to BLOCK, something he hasn't done in the past because he didn't bother to. He's strong and he can become a very good NFL back, if he wants to.

In the end I think Brandon Jackson will be our feature back rushing for at least 1000 yards and a pleasent surprise.

Tight end: By many considered a weak spot and indeed it is. Unless someone steps up. Bubba Franks has the skills, he has been a very good TE in the past and he can still be one if he gets his head in the right place, I think it's all in his head.

Humphrey, Lee, Alcorn and our 7th round pick Clark will have to show something in training camp. Franks is a lock mostly because of his blocking skills but also because of what he has shown in the past.

Look for Alcorn to step up, I really think this kid can be a good pass catching TE.

Wide receiver:
I think we're in good shape here, Donald Driver will post another 1200+ yard season and get 8 - 10 TDs. Greg Jennings will continue to improve and catch 800 - 900 yards and some TDs.

Hopefully James Jones can contribute right away and be a redzone threat with his size and physical play.

David Clowney will probably need some years to catch on but will contribute as a returner.

Koren Robinson will return and take back the 3rd WR spot.

The battle for the 4th and 5th receiver spots will be between James Jones, David Clowney, Ruvell Martin, Carlyle Holiday and Chris Francies. Ferguson is pretty much a goner in my mind, I don't think he will surprise anyone.

The players that show the most in the pre-season and in the regular season games before Koren Robinson returns to form after his suspension will be kept.

David Clowney and James Jones are too valuable at the moment to release and unless they turn out to be Corey Rogers, they will be kept on our roster.

Ruvell Martin and Carlyle Holiday will have a hard time staying on the roster barring injuries.

We have a lot of WRs and I think at least one of the receivers behind Jennings and Driver will step up, so we're in good shape here.

Defense

Defensive line: We're in great shape at defensive tackle with newly acquired Justin Harrell. Now we have Harrell, Williams and Pickett as solid defensive tackles, maybe even great. Johnny Jolly and Colin Cole serve as good backups, I would look for Jolly to step up his game this season and I think he can become a very good DT.

The combo of Pickett and Harrell might become something special, with Williams, Jolly and Cole to take some of the load during games we will have fresh DTs on the field all day long.

The battles are won and lost in the trenches.

At defensive end we have miss a solid backup to Aaron Kampman, on our right side we have Cullen Jenkins and KGB and we are in really good shape there. Fortunatly Kampman doesn't have a knack for going down and an excellent motor that keeps going all day long.

Linebacker: This is a good unit, Poppinga continued to improve last season while Barnett and Hawk are outstanding. This might be one of the best LB trio in the league. Behind them we have some talented young guys like Abdul Hodge.

Secondary:
At safety I think we will be good to go as long as Collins keeps up his good game from the end of the last season and Aaron Rouse or Underwood beats out Manuel for the other safety spot. At cornerback we are in really good shape with one of the best duos in the league, Harris and Woodson, let's hope they can keep up the good work from last season.

We do lack some good proven backups, but I think Walker and Dendy will manage.

Special Teams: I think Jon Ryan will improve this season after having adjusted to the NFL last season. Hopefully we will benefit from his large leg.

At kicker I think Mason Crosby is so good he will beat out Rayner, Crosby is the best kicker prospect to come out in a long time, he has an enourmous leg and has kicked 70-yard FGs in practice. If he can adjust to the NFL ball quickly, he will be our kicker. He was about 90% inside 50 yards in college and made I think a 68-yarder, in game.

By adding a lot of good tacklers in the draft I think our ST will improve all over.

Overall:

I see us improving from last year overall and I think we're in pretty good shape,

10 - 6 and Playoffs!

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Colledge and Spitz will improve, but I really see Wells coming into his own as the core/leader of that line. He's the strongest guy on the team (according to Rock) and finally has a full year starting under his belt.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have to treat our WRs like K-Rob won't play. I don't really want to go into camp relying on him as the 3rd. I'd rather be in the position of having a solid 3/4 without him and making him earn the 4th or 5th spot to join the team. With that in mind, I think we need to look for a vet at the 3rd WR spot. Jennings has had some injury issues in the past and DD can't carry the entire load. If Jennings were to get hurt, we'd be looking at James Jones, Ferguson or Clowney as our 2 and 3 - not real thrilled with that. There are guys like Eric Moulds and Travis Tayor there now (not interested), but better guys will join them soon. Heck, the Eagles just cut Dhani Jones because of all the LBs they drafted. With 17 WRs taken on day 1, I expect more teams to do the same with WRs.

I'd also like to see another TE (even a guy like Ernie Conwell), FB (Daimon Shelton is still there, as will others) and maybe a corner (depending on how the injured guys come back).

Still, at worst we are talking about a backup TE, 3rd WR and FB as the main needs now - not exactly impossible finds between now and July.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:

Actually W-L record doesn't mean **** to me. What matters to me is how those games are one and who you beat. I think we have covered the weak division thing to death. In my opinion, a team has arrived when they can defend their home field in both the regular season and especially in the playoffs. A team has really arrived when they can beat good teams on the road. We haven't been a good team in quite some time, and that includes the Sherman years (even though we were in the playoffs).

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i disagree as well

how can AJ Hawk not be considered an impact player. he freakin led the team in tackles last year... thats a pretty big impact right buddy.

The offensive line doesnt get enough credit either. the three interior guys were about average age 21 and all of them were put into the starting lineup immediately. thats crazy tough to become even competitive and i think they deserve the credit for it.

Greg was great last year.... you cant help injuries, its a part of football.

You and I are not buddies. I don't really care how many tackles he had, how many plays did he make. Did he dominate like an Urlacher or a Merriman or a Briggs or even DeMeco Ryans. He was good last year, not special and he needs to become special for us to ever turn the corner and become a legitimate SB contender again.

As for Jennings, I think he's a good player, but he's nothing special. The NFL is full of guys like him.

Members online

Latest posts