Calvin Pryor

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should we talk about him THERE at their site, or here?

From there, this quote comes:

Current University of Texas defensive coordinator Vance Bedford was Brown’s position coach from 2000-2004. Before Bedford moved with Charlie Strong to Austin, he was the defensive coordinator at Louisville working with junior safety Calvin Pryor, a player Bedford compares favorably to the former Bear.

"He had three games in a row where he hit somebody and they did not finish the game," Bedford told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "He doesn’t want to injure anybody, but he brings a certain physicality that if you’re going to throw the ball down the middle of the field, you’re going to pay a price ... Calvin Pryor reminds me of a bigger Mike Brown ... [Brown] was a coach on the field ... That’s what makes great players. Understanding the entire defense. Calvin Pryor is a lot like that."

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm tired of our guys leaving injured.
From Robert Brooks to Javon Walker, to Rodgers last year, Cobb, Finley, Jones last year... it's time we saw other team's guys leave early like Brandon Marshall or Michael Crabtree, Marshawn Lynch, etc.

I think I would prefer Pryor now to HaHa...... our DB's are passive, finesse guys.
Time to change that.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm tired of our guys leaving injured.
From Robert Brooks to Javon Walker, to Rodgers last year, Cobb, Finley, Jones last year... it's time we saw other team's guys leave early like Brandon Marshall or Michael Crabtree, Marshawn Lynch, etc.

I think I would prefer Pryor now to HaHa...... our DB's are passive, finesse guys.
Time to change that.
Shouts out to sterling

I tend to agree with you about Pryor. I attended a Louisville game this year. Complete blow out so it was really hard to gauge his ability

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Pryor makes it out of the top 15, but he is #1 on my draft wishlist.

H

HardRightEdge

He shrunk 3"...he measured 5'11"at the Combine. He averaged 4.58 in his two 40 runs. He is not a #21 pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm any current GM I'd tread very very carefully with drafting Calvin Pryor.

The #1 thing he's known for is laying out big hits. Even if they are legal hits they still might get flagged in today's NFL. It's a risky proposition. Not his fault, but he's coming out in the wrong era.

The main difference in the eyes off scouts between Pryor and Clinton-Dix was Pryor was the big SS type who could step up in the box and lay some wood on a running back at 6"2 (ala Kam Chancellor). Whereas Clinton-Dix was more the FS type to drop back into coverage at 5"11 (ala Earl Thomas). While him mysteriously not being the big safety we thought he was and shrinking three inches is concerning, what's more concerning is the fact we didn't know this about him. It makes you wonder..what else don't you know about the kid? And if he has the same body type as Clinton-Dix, why wasn't he more successful in coverage?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A smallish safety that runs a 4.58 isn't a first round pick. First round safeties must have elite measurable and neither Clinton-Dix nor Pryor have those measurables.

D

Deleted member 6794

A smallish safety that runs a 4.58 isn't a first round pick. First round safeties must have elite measurable and neither Clinton-Dix nor Pryor have those measurables.

I think Clinton-Dix has OK measurements for a FS.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather see the Packers go for Deone Bucannon in round 2. He may get picked earlier than #53, but he's a hitter with size, and his combine was pretty good.

Louis Nix in Round 1, Deone Bucannon in Round 2 would be a pretty damn good draft IMO.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Clinton-Dix has OK measurements for a FS.

I think so also. I just don't think they're first-round worthy. I could very well be wrong on this (probably am). I just don't want to take a safety in the first unless the guy shows he's fast and Dix didn't really wow me with his speed.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd rather see the Packers go for Deone Bucannon in round 2. He may get picked earlier than #53, but he's a hitter with size, and his combine was pretty good.

I really wonder if some of you guys coming up with names of several strong safeties over and over again would feel comfortable with Burnett playing free safety???

H

HardRightEdge

I really wonder if some of you guys coming up with names of several strong safeties over and over again would feel comfortable with Burnett playing free safety???
I'm with you there. As discussed earlier, Burnett would be a decent SS if he doesn't have to think about the stuff required of a FS.

Unfortunately, it looks like they're committed to having him call signals, in combo with Hyde. I'm OK with that...not thrilled...just OK...knowing Burnett WILL be on the field regardless with that contract while Hyde is bound to be a step up from Jennings.

However, I think I'm suffering from "Safety! Safety! Safety!" fatigue. A proposal that puts safety at second round or below is progress and might get a "like" from me for the effort. ;)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

OK, OK fine...but Deone Bucannon would be an upgrade over anything we have at present.

How about Marqueston Huff in round 2, that work for ya as a FS? (I like the guy: outstanding speed and very athletic, solid cover.)

H

HardRightEdge

OK, OK fine...but Deone Bucannon would be an upgrade over anything we have at present.

How about Marqueston Huff in round 2, that work for ya as a FS? (I like the guy: outstanding speed and very athletic, solid cover.)
Switching from Nix's play-by-play tape vs. Alabama to Huff's 2013 highlight tape, you can see why scouts get concerned about some players' level of competition. That Mountain West competition looks further from Alabama than Alabama does from the pros.

Huff seems to have good anticipation, but is that because the crappy QBs are signalling their passes? His INTs came against some fairly ugly passing by big time standards making it hard to judge the ball skills.

He's got NFL quickness and closing speed, and he's not afraid to hit people. But the guys in the MWC going down like a sack of potatoes with a shoulder hit and no wrapping up are not the guys he'll be seeing on Sunday. With that technique, Lynch would turn him into a ping pong ball.

A 2nd. round grade seems high. The athleticism seems to be there, but the player is unpolished. I could see adding this guy in a mid-to-lower round. He'd probably make a decent gunner while he learns the trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He shrunk 3"...he measured 5'11"at the Combine. He averaged 4.58 in his two 40 runs. He is not a #21 pick.

Just because you aren't 6', you can still play ball.
Jairus Byrd 5'10''
T.J. Ward 5'10''
Troy 5'10''
Eric Weddle 5'11''
Honey Badger 5'9''
Donte Whitner 5'10''
Earl Thomas 5'10''

The 6 foot marker is something people focus way to much about, let talent show it self, i would like any player above incl. Pryor to come join us.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bucannon would probably be an upgrade on whoever we have at safety right now. I wouldn´t mind bringing in a SS in the later rounds, but I don´t want a SS to be the main addition to the position as I don´t want Burnett to be the starter at FS.

I like Marqueston Huff as well, but no way will he be drafted in the second round, he´ll be a late round pick. Not sure though if he projects as a FS or CB in the NFL.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bucannon would probably be an upgrade on whoever we have at safety right now. I wouldn´t mind bringing in a SS in the later rounds, but I don´t want a SS to be the main addition to the position as I don´t want Burnett to be the starter at FS.

I like Marqueston Huff as well, but no way will he be drafted in the second round, he´ll be a late round pick. Not sure though if he projects as a FS or CB in the NFL.

Huff's been moving up quite a bit in the rankings. Many have him going somewhere in rounds 2-3. If we could pick him up in the mid rounds I'd be ecstatic.

D

Deleted member 6794

Huff's been moving up quite a bit in the rankings. Many have him going somewhere in rounds 2-3. If we could pick him up in the mid rounds I'd be ecstatic.

I haven´t seen any site ranking him higher than a 5th round pick so far.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the bottom line is, if Ha-Ha or Pryor falls to #21, either would be a great pick for the Packers.

Really depends on who else is there. Some mocks have Mosely falling us. Personally, I'd rather see Nix, Hageman, Tuitt, Mosely or Ebron over either of those two safeties (there's some other guys I'm leaving off)...so I guess what I'm saying is that if those two are at our spot then I would rather see us trade down to a team that wants them.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Here is a thought. Forget drafting a safety in the 1st round. Sign a free agent free safety like Chris Clemons (miami dolphins) and draft Ahmad Dixon in the third round. Draft Aaron Donald in first round and Chris Borland in 2nd. If that happened I would be "so happy"

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
another free agent I would love to see Pack sign is D'Qwell Jackson.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts