Calvin Pryor - Hopefully dreams come true!

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the draft still about 3 months away we can all begin to speculate on what GB needs most to improve the weakest parts of their team. There is the possibility of GB shifting to more of a 4-3 Defense which may take advantage in the strength of their roster (which would be an upgrade alone in my opinion) and the ability to still move Clay Mathews around using him in different pass rush packages (remember we have several defensive lineman in Perry, Neal, Mulumba who have experience dropping into coverage if Mathews does rush the passer).

Retaining Sam Shields and getting back a healthy Casey Hayward will solidify our Defensive Backfield. However the biggest impact would come in adding a impact player "of a Mathews type ability" to a Secondary that sorely needs help. I am drooling at the moment thinking about the possibilities. Impact player, forceful hitter, good tackler. Judge for yourself and let's hear your thoughts if GB had this guy in our Defensive Backfield:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, keep your greedy green hands off Pryor, he's destined to be a Niner =)

Seriously, though I think they're a lot of teams salivating over Pryor right now. I'm hoping we package some picks, move up and take him. I'll take Ward as a consolation prize but I'm really hoping Pryor some how ends up in a Niner uni.

OP
OP
S

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fortunately he will not make it that far. Your right he definitely fits the scheme of what the Niners, Seahawks, Ravens, & Steelers have been over the past decade and the message now is loud and clear in GB.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, keep your greedy green hands off Pryor, he's destined to be a Niner =)

Seriously, though I think they're a lot of teams salivating over Pryor right now. I'm hoping we package some picks, move up and take him. I'll take Ward as a consolation prize but I'm really hoping Pryor some how ends up in a Niner uni.

If the Niners want to trade up to get Pryor at #21 for their #30 and and 2 round picks, I'll all for it.

OP
OP
S

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I have always believed that GB's Defensive Line players are much better suited to play in a 4-3 scheme as opposed to a 3-4 scheme. The packers have multiple athletic D-Lineman who if they lineup in the Gaps instead of being asked to holdup the front and allow the Linebackers to flow to the ball would probably excel better in the pass rush area.

We already know that Perry and Neal can rush better from the DE position and being in a 4-3 would only help them. If our better players on defense were at LB then I would say we are better fit to run the 3-4, but because we haven't had any success at finding an excellent LB other then Mathews then our best scenario would be to build the defense around where we have the most talent.

I'm not saying that Datone Jones is Pierre-Paul but he would probably have a similar impact. Neal and Perry would also excel because they would not be lining up directly over the Tackle and be asked to just hold their ground. The biggest impact would be on the inside from Raji, Daniels, Jolly, & Worthy who are all athletic big men. The playmakers would then be in position to start making the plays they were drafted to make. Lining up and shooting the gaps.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I agree with you that the defensive linemen currently under contract are a better fit for a 4-3 defense I´m totally sure the Packers won´t change their base defense to a 4-3. I expect them to bring back two of the big bodies that are free agents (Pickett and Jolly), get another one in the draft and hope Boyd will be able to contribute in the base.

The Packers LBs are a terrible fit for the 4-3. While it´s possible Matthews could play at WLB I don´t like the fact he would have to drop in coverage more often than he has to now. If you want to move Perry and Neal to the DL there´s no viable option to play the SLB. And there´s absolutely no way I want either Hawk oder Brad Jones playing MLB in a 4-3.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have there been any concrete reports of the possibility of switching to a 4-3 or is this purely specualtion?

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pure speculation.

It seems as though this would play to our Dline strengths but hurt the cornerstone of the D in Clay. I think Clay could play anywhere but if he is more useful in a 3-4 and he's the guy you're building your D around why make the switch? Whole sale changes aren't what this D needs IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems as though this would play to our Dline strengths but hurt the cornerstone of the D in Clay. I think Clay could play anywhere but if he is more useful in a 3-4 and he's the guy you're building your D around why make the switch? Whole sale changes aren't what this D needs IMO.

As I mentioned above, while the DLs currently under contract look like better suited to play in a 4-3 our LBs are a terrible fit for a 4-3 defense.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to Pryor, the title of this thread.......

We need at least one new good-to-great safety.
Our current batch are terrible.

Pryor works for me..... if we have someone who can coach him up.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to Pryor, the title of this thread.......

We need at least one new good-to-great safety.
Our current batch are terrible.

Pryor works for me..... if we have someone who can coach him up.

Even if we sign one if FA, I wouldn't be opposed to taking one early. The position needs a complete overhaul IMO. We're stuck with Morgan like it or not for the time being but that is what it is now

OP
OP
S

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I somehow am really hoping Pryor slips to us the way Rodgers, Mathews, Lacy and Cobb did. I think he would have a huge impact on our defense.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I somehow am really hoping Pryor slips to us the way Rodgers, Mathews, Lacy and Cobb did. I think he would have a huge impact on our defense.

Pryor has a pretty good chance of being there at #21 unless he wows at the combine. There are 3 safeties who are being talked up a lot: Haha, Pryor, and Jimmie Ward, and all could go in the 1st round. I don't think Jimmie Ward is worth a 1st round pick TBH.

Safeties who aren't being talked up a lot are Ed Reynolds, Deonne Buccannon, and Dion Bailey. If the Packers like one if these guys they could nab them in the 2nd round, which might be a better option of Dix and Pryor are off the board in the 1st.

Then there's Ahmad Dixon, who's sort of a sleeper due to his suspensions, and a couple other guys who also seem to be flying under the radar: Kenny Ladler, Craig Loston, for instance. I like Loston because he's aggressive as hell. He hits hard and would be a good SS, but he's too aggressive in coverage right now and would need to learn to tone it down not to get yellow flags thrown his way all day.

If neither Pryor nor Dix are there in the 1st, my pick would be Deone Bucannon in round 2. He has pretty good speed and hits like a truck. Problem is, I could see Bucannon being picked by some team in the 2nd round before the Packers....

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are now less then a month away from the draft. Now there are many different directions the Pack can go in, but my hope is still that Pryor comes to GB. We need someone in the secondary that is an enforcer. We have a lot of finesse guys in Shields, Burnett, Heyward, Bush & Williams none of which will come up and lay the wood on a runner.
For those of you who are old enough to remember how GB's Defense changed after the insertion of both Chuck Cccil & Tim Harris. Our defense went from soft to physical. We have a lot of guys who play with a lot of passion in the front 7 but in order to really change the overall scope of our defense the DB's have to play with that same physical passion (i.e. SF Pitt, Balt, Sea). When was the last time a GB DB caused a fumble from a hit? Can someone say Charles Woodson. I've been all over Pryor since the begginning and will be elated if he's the Packers choice at pick #21 in the 1st round. Get it - as in #21 Charles Woodson :)

H

HardRightEdge

Question: Is it fair to assume that most guys with dreads like their Mary Jane? Does cutting off the dreads indicate a commitment to a "cleaner" lifestyle?

I was surprised to hear recently that there is no in-season testing for pot except for the guys already under one-strike and two-strike secret probation. The ex-player who made this observation recently on the NFL Network (whose name escapes me at the moment) believes pot smoking is very widespread in the NFL, for pain relief and for taking the edge off the pound-and-get-pounded lifestyle.

Maybe Burnett should grow back the dreads if it means he goes back to enjoying a little mid-week "relaxation". That's not to say I have any knowledge of his personal habits; that's merely an if/then proposition.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The hair style of dreads is a fad, nothing more. It will be replaced by the next hair fad sooner or later. Remember when Jerry rice had that really high platform head of hair? A ton of guys started doing that, then it went away. Then came the "lets write some message in the sides of our heads" or have the barber shave cool designs or lightning bolts...also a fad. I don't think it has much of a connection to pot smoking. Lacy has the long hair, following the fad, and from his interviews he seems to be a squared away guy with a good head on his shoulders.

Latest posts