Calling My Early Shots On Green Bay's Playoff Picture

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arizona seems like the one team in the NFC the Pack has to look out for, though if they did play the Kam Chancellor Seabirds, I suppose that too could be challenging. But man oh man, either Arizona is an elite squad team this year, or San Francisco's first game was an utter farce.

Also San Diego should throw Philip Rivers out, he's completely lost it.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too bad they just guaranteed him $65M in brand new money.
Never understood this from the moment they offered it to him. Especially after seeing what happened with the Bears and Cutler when they signed a non-elite qb who has never seriously competed for a championship to a big contract.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree. Teams tend to understate the severity and expected time off. I recall with Rodgers' injury there were expectations he'd be back as early as week 6. Never happened and it was 8 weeks. So if the Cowboys are telling the press it will be 8 weeks, expect 10. If I recall correctly, the early reports after Rodgers had the injury were 4 to 6 weeks, certainly not more than 6 weeks.

The Packers never offered a timeline for Rodgers´ return after he suffered the injury. It´s a different story with Romo because the team put him on IR boomerang which the Packers weren´t allowed to with Rodgers in 2013 because they had already placed Cobb on that list.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
NFC West has usually been a thorn in the Packers side for playoff losses. For the VERY EARLY NFC outlook, I'd bet Packers, Cardinals, Falcons, (9-7 NFC East Miracle?) Panthers and Rams. Really think the Seahawks opener cost them a ticket to the playoffs. Though what can I say its early and the Vikings would be in the playoffs if the regular season ended today.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care who wins that division, as long as it isn't the Giants. I'm forever terrified of the Manning and Coughlin in Green Bay during the postseason, no matter how awful they look during the regular season.

Maybe this is the year of slaying old demons. We humbled Seattle last week and I must say that Rodgers is striking me as more mature this season, he doesn't seem to be hunting or the big play every single snap and he seemed committed to keeping the run game involved against Seattle, even when the offense was sputtering.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll see. Just based on some of the reports, it sounds like Romo's injury is more severe, especially if surgery is being considered. I don't think that was ever mentioned in Rodger's case.

And none of us are Dr's. So no one is in a position to say definitively that Rodgers "Fractured collarbone...is the same injury Romo suffered this week." It's hard to imagine that every injury with a similar diagnosis is the same between players, or anyone for that matter.

Again all subjective. Might be wrong but I just don't think Romo is going to be cleared in 8 weeks. 10 to 12 seems more likely.

There's a wide range when it comes to fractures, could be a simple crack in the bone or the bone could look like crushed wheaties.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe this is the year of slaying old demons. We humbled Seattle last week and I must say that Rodgers is striking me as more mature this season, he doesn't seem to be hunting or the big play every single snap and he seemed committed to keeping the run game involved against Seattle, even when the offense was sputtering.

Well, next week we have San Francisco, so that would be a second demon, albeit one that is only a shadow of its former self.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easy to call things right now after a couple games, but injuries do happen so things can change.

Steelers Lost Ben for 4-6 weeks or so.

I think the Vikings finish higher than 6th seed.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As you guys are so sure of your playoff destiny.....could you lend us some of your players?

A Dallas team that somehow still manages to squeak into the playoffs and then get healthy is easily the NFC team I fear most, so no. No players for you :tup:

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah I think he knows the O can't always hit 40 plus points a game nowdays. While on the one hand I'd like to see their playoff hopes get crushed and the Coughlin era end in NJ, getting revenge on the Gmen in the playoffs this year would really make this year special. I think 2 advantages we have over them are:

1. They don't have a pass rush coming solely from the front 4 this year. Granted JPP is still out and if they made the playoffs he'd be back for that probably, but even so their front 4 has not been as good as in years past and if they don't get to Rodgers, he'll carve them up, especially with an oft-injured Prince Anukamara they always got.

2. They don't really have a run threat. I think Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs were very underrated in their careers, they were both good in cold weather games and our D just didn't seem to match the physicality of their run game. I don't believe that's the case anymore. I think with a healthy Lacy, ours is better than theirs and unless Reuben Randle had a super game, Eli wouldn't win it simply trying to go to OBJ all game.

I think how they play against good teams like Buffalo and New England this year will be a barometer of just how good a team they are, but so far no pass against a Dez-less Dallas team and an rebuilding Falcons team.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to say right now, but the Redskins could still take the east. Hopefully they beat the NYG 2nd time around and knock em out of it all.

If we had to play Atlanta in the playoffs .... I don't know. I know we consistently had the Mike Smith Falcons' number, but I don't think this new team is as soft up front as they used to be. I'll be eagerly watching their games against Carolina to see who's better there.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's hard to say right now, but the Redskins could still take the east. Hopefully they beat the NYG 2nd time around and knock em out of it all.

If we had to play Atlanta in the playoffs .... I don't know. I know we consistently had the Mike Smith Falcons' number, but I don't think this new team is as soft up front as they used to be. I'll be eagerly watching their games against Carolina to see who's better there.

Taking a look at the Falcons schedule it´s really possible they could be the Packers toughest challenge for the #1 seed in the NFC.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Taking a look at the Falcons schedule it´s really possible they could be the Packers toughest challenge for the #1 seed in the NFC.
Atlanta is just cleaning up vs the NFC south and east along with the AFC south. Arguably the three weakest divisions top to bottom in football. Then again, they are winning.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to make any good judgements on the Falcons and Panthers right now since they've both only played bad teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hard to make any good judgements on the Falcons and Panthers right now since they've both only played bad teams.

While that´s true the Falcons remaining schedule only includes one opponent which currently has a winning record in the Panthers. The rest of their opponents currently have a combined record of 13-26.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd fully expect both those teams to have some chokes down the road here, at least enough to clear the 1st seed for us. At least now though hopefully Philly ruined NYG's season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd fully expect both those teams to have some chokes down the road here, at least enough to clear the 1st seed for us. At least now though hopefully Philly ruined NYG's season.

The Falcons already lost one to the Saints but I was surprised the Panthers won at Seattle. It seems like they're the Packers toughest competition for the #1 seed in the NFC.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Falcons already lost one to the Saints but I was surprised the Panthers won at Seattle. It seems like they're the Packers toughest competition for the #1 seed in the NFC.

Yeh, gotta think Pack and a south team are splitting the 1/2 seeds at this point. Not looking forward to the possibility of having a healthy Dallas team as our first playoff game. Dunno if that's going to happen, but that would be a tough one. If they get healthy just in time to take over a struggling division, look out.

Members online

Latest posts