Calling My Early Shots On Green Bay's Playoff Picture

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too early for this.

Maybe, I don't deny that Detroit isn't out of the convo, they get Levy back this week which will help their defense out, but that old undisciplined play seems to be returning to that offense and at 0-2, really looks like that old 2012 way hasn't left them yet. Gonna be tough to get back into the race at this rate. SF, I don't know, their D was lights out week 1, terrible week 2. Don't really know where they're going at this point, but I'm gonna call no better than 8-8 again for them. Detroit, SF, and Carolina are kinda the near outsiders in the NFC as far as I'm concerned that might make a run for that WC spot over Minny, but don't see anyone else atm in that position.

I don't know what to make of Romo deciding not to have surgery, to me that could be a longterm detriment to his career. I suppose they hope that would mean a quicker return, but if you're going to go that route and rush him back, that's a serious risk in my opinion. I just don't see these current QBs in Dallas being able to get pulled off the chains, something we were somewhat able to do with Matt Flynn over Tolzein and Wallace 2 years ago. Dallas's running game is not as strong this year and they can't ride Randle/McFadden the way they could Murray. I just don't see things going on the up for them.

Chip Kelly has a hot mess on his hands right now and it's not going to get better. I remember similarly they called the Eagles a dream team 4 years ago and bad stuff happened. They were supposed to full out and win that division no contest and go challenging us in the playoffs, instead it almost turned into a total dumpster fire. Good news for them then was Michael Vick didn't stay around all season to mess it up, the weather got cold and helped their defense, and Reid didn't go trading off all his players from past years. I just think the situation over there this year is so much worse than that year that Chip Kelly is such a megalomaniac that he wanted to try and become Bellichek 2.0 in trying to turn a bunch of scrubs into champions. Problem is he's found out quick this is not college football and it's not a 1 size fits all league, but he's going to live in denial and say it's all good.

The Giants, I hate them and hope they go 0-3 because if they do their high hope season is completely over. Crazy talk maybe but given the amount of losing they've had in the last 2 years, I just don't see their team being able to keep any morale alive if they go to 0-3 here.

This Thursday night game is going to be a real tipping point for the NFC East.

Washington has rarely won this kind of game in the past, maybe the closest thing to it was when they beat Dallas in 2005 on that Monday night thriller. If they do win this, I think their season will be something special for them. If they lose, it'll be same old Redskins.

For the Giants, if they win this game, it won't be a season turner but it will take it off of life support (for now). If they lose it, I just think the fanbase will be so irate that the players will feel it. I mean, there are just certain atmospheres that surround a team when you know there's a disgruntled fanbase there. I actually thought Mara was actually smart to give Coughlin one more year because he fixed the team in the past and they'd been through too many personnel losses the previous two years that he kinda needed maybe 1 more year to get a favorable team ready. But I think he's out of excuses now given the talent that is there, an O-line that's good enough for Eli to succeed again, and Preston Parker being cut.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know what to make of Romo deciding not to have surgery, to me that could be a longterm detriment to his career. I suppose they hope that would mean a quicker return, but if you're going to go that route and rush him back, that's a serious risk in my opinion.

I don't get all that negative talk about Romo not habing surgery. The Cowboys put him on IR boomerang so he won't be allowed to play for eight weeks.

Rodgers didn't have surgery in 2013 either.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you've seen Romo's and Rodgers' x-rays??? Otherwise it doesn't make any sense to make an assumption like that.

No, just most of the consensus I've been hearing seem to think Romo's was more serious. Kinda thought he looked like he was in more pain than Rodgers did when he had it.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, just most of the consensus I've been hearing seem to think Romo's was more serious. Kinda thought he looked like he was in more pain than Rodgers did when he had it.
I think you're right and Romo actually has a broken clavicle, Rodgers had a crack but not a break.

But it doesn't matter. I'm not a Dr. but unless there are bone fragments that have to be removed, I don't think surgery is ever used to repair a broken clavicle. It's not possible to put a cast on that part of the body. The usual course is to immobolize the shoulder with a harness, the muscles hold the bone roughly in place, and the bone fuses. Anyway, if Rodgers took 7 or 8 weeks to return from a lesser injury than Romo (let's just assume it's true), it's very unlikely Romo could return much before 10 or even 12 weeks, meaning the playoffs IF they get that far without Romo and Bryant. Personally, I think Romo is done for the regular season.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I miss some new rule change? Because last I checked the top 4 seeds all go to division winners, so no the Bengals cannot get a 3 or 4 seed if they don't win the division. I pick the Steelers to win it over them so I pick the Bengals going 5 seed and 1 and done again, and Buffalo taking 6th, unless the Jets somehow pull a crazy season out of straw or Melvin Gordon goes running insanely good in San Diego. But I think it will be Buffalo given that they got a higher ceiling. I don't care if the last score they had against New England was garbage time points, garbage points are not just a given in this league and 32 points is goin from nothing to something.
I stand corrected.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barring injuries or other surprises, the Pack is in position to run away with the division.
There don't seem to be any 'super' teams yet, although some of the poor starts are surprising.
Gonna be a great season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Barring injuries or other surprises, the Pack is in position to run away with the division.
There don't seem to be any 'super' teams yet, although some of the poor starts are surprising.
Gonna be a great season.
Win lose or draw, aren't they all?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know what to make of Romo deciding not to have surgery, to me that could be a longterm detriment to his career. I suppose they hope that would mean a quicker return, but if you're going to go that route and rush him back, that's a serious risk in my opinion. I just don't see these current QBs in Dallas being able to get pulled off the chains, something we were somewhat able to do with Matt Flynn over Tolzein and Wallace 2 years ago. Dallas's running game is not as strong this year and they can't ride Randle/McFadden the way they could Murray. I just don't see things going on the up for them.

If it's a non displaced fracture, meaning the bones are still in place, there's no reason to have a surgery on it. Sounds like it will be about 8 weeks, which wouldn't be rushing a broken bone either. That's on the conservative end.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers had a fractured collarbone which is the same injury Romo suffered this week.
We'll see. Just based on some of the reports, it sounds like Romo's injury is more severe, especially if surgery is being considered. I don't think that was ever mentioned in Rodger's case.

And none of us are Dr's. So no one is in a position to say definitively that Rodgers "Fractured collarbone...is the same injury Romo suffered this week." It's hard to imagine that every injury with a similar diagnosis is the same between players, or anyone for that matter.

Again all subjective. Might be wrong but I just don't think Romo is going to be cleared in 8 weeks. 10 to 12 seems more likely.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Win lose or draw, aren't they all?
Well in the case of the Packers we've had a pretty good run - 20 years - when the Packers have almost always been in the hunt. Can't say that about every team. The wild card is always injury. Just ask any Dallas fan, or GB fan when ARod missed 8 games, or struggled through the calf injury late last season.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're right and Romo actually has a broken clavicle, Rodgers had a crack but not a break.

But it doesn't matter. I'm not a Dr. but unless there are bone fragments that have to be removed, I don't think surgery is ever used to repair a broken clavicle. It's not possible to put a cast on that part of the body. The usual course is to immobolize the shoulder with a harness, the muscles hold the bone roughly in place, and the bone fuses. Anyway, if Rodgers took 7 or 8 weeks to return from a lesser injury than Romo (let's just assume it's true), it's very unlikely Romo could return much before 10 or even 12 weeks, meaning the playoffs IF they get that far without Romo and Bryant. Personally, I think Romo is done for the regular season.

Broken, break, fracture, crack......They all mean the same thing. We can't tell if the injuries are similar by just knowing both are broken.

A surgery would be warranted with a fracture that's out of place and needs to be realigned. A sling to immobilize the arm and shoulder would be used instead of a cast.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers had a fractured collarbone which is the same injury Romo suffered this week.

A fracture can vary greatly in severity.

Could be a small crack or a break all the way through the bone with the bones displaced.

Considering Romo is expected to miss about the same amount of time as Rodgers and neither required surgery, it is likely their injuries are similar though.

Last edited:

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
So it's only week 2 and there's a lot of football left, but I'm going to shoot down some of the silly NFL Network and ESPN experts by calling the bold shots for the complete NFL playoff picture. I'm calling this to shake up on the scene.

NFC Playoff Teams

First round bye
1 Seed - Packers
2 Seed - Cardinals

Wildcard Round
3 Seed - Falcons
4 Seed - Redskins
5 Seed - Seahawks
6 Seed - Vikings (yup I know you'll like that one Raptorman)

AFC Playoff Teams

First round bye
1 Seed - Patriots
2 Seed - Broncos

Wildcard Round
3 Seed - Steelers
4 Seed - Colts
5 Seed - Bengals
6 Seed - Bills

I would not put the Redskins in the playoff picture but other than that I agree with this. maybe no the Vikings either I don't know. I like your AFC playoff picture a lot though.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it's only week 2 and there's a lot of football left, but I'm going to shoot down some of the silly NFL Network and ESPN experts by calling the bold shots for the complete NFL playoff picture. I'm calling this to shake up on the scene.

NFC Playoff Teams

First round bye
1 Seed - Packers
2 Seed - Cardinals

Wildcard Round
3 Seed - Falcons
4 Seed - Redskins
5 Seed - Seahawks
6 Seed - Vikings (yup I know you'll like that one Raptorman)

AFC Playoff Teams

First round bye
1 Seed - Patriots
2 Seed - Broncos

Wildcard Round
3 Seed - Steelers
4 Seed - Colts
5 Seed - Bengals
6 Seed - Bills

I think Pittsburgh is a team to be reckoned with after their impressive rebound last week. I'd switch out the Broncos for the Steelers.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A fracture can vary greatly in severity.

Could be a small crack or a break all the way through the bone with the bones displaced.

Considering Romo is expected to miss about the same amount of time as Rodgers and neither required surgery, it is likely their injuries are similar though.
I agree. Teams tend to understate the severity and expected time off. I recall with Rodgers' injury there were expectations he'd be back as early as week 6. Never happened and it was 8 weeks. So if the Cowboys are telling the press it will be 8 weeks, expect 10. If I recall correctly, the early reports after Rodgers had the injury were 4 to 6 weeks, certainly not more than 6 weeks.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a good start to the season. However as we all know that 15-1 season with a first round exit was heartbreaking, not to mention last year. I would refrain from listening to the media touting us and NE as favorites... It is a good start from the first two games, and barring a collapse tomorrow, a good first 3 games. I like where we are, but what has happened to our defense, it used to be great, with the Gilbert Brown and Reggie White era. Once that starts beefing up, this team could become (hold your breath) a Patriot esk dynasty. Cheers and Go Pack Go!

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a good start to the season. However as we all know that 15-1 season with a first round exit was heartbreaking, not to mention last year. I would refrain from listening to the media touting us and NE as favorites... It is a good start from the first two games, and barring a collapse tomorrow, a good first 3 games. I like where we are, but what has happened to our defense, it used to be great, with the Gilbert Brown and Reggie White era. Once that starts beefing up, this team could become (hold your breath) a Patriot esk dynasty. Cheers and Go Pack Go!
Good observation. The 15-1 team didn't have much of a D. Ironically it was the poor play of the O that caused the one-and-done loss against the Giants. The D will have to play consistently as it did against the Seahags. Barring more injuries, this O will put points on the board, or even with injuries as they did last week. The O has been fabulous pretty much every year since Rodgers started. The D was very good, especially down the stretch, in the SB win in 2010. And that win represented the value of a team staying healthy, and peaking, in December, January, and that first Sunday in February. The Packers were the sixth, and barely, last seed that year. So it's fun to speculate about who the best teams are now, but all that really matters is that teams stay in the hunt, and then rise to the occassion in December and January. Just ask Dallas fans how they're feeling right now.

The magic formula for success is simple yet hard to maintain week in and week out. Stay healthy, win at home, split on the road. If the Packers do that, especially given this fast start (which hasn't been the case the last few years), they'll have home field advantage come January, and a much easier road to Santa Clara in February.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW love your user name. As a fan of GB from the 60s, I was among the many who suffered through the horrible years. It was the addition of Reggie White in FA that marked the turning point for this team. Yes Favre was every bit as responsible for many great years, but Reggie showed elite players that it was OK to play in GB, especially if being on a perennial contender was important. Rest in peace Reggie, and thanks for everything!

Members online

Latest posts