Calling for Sherman's head

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I know it's just one game, but I'm already done with Sherman. I think he took over a talented team and has slowly destriyed it with poor coaching and unbelievably stupid personnel moves. My buddy and I have a sports website called unrestrictedview.com. I wrote a full length article about my distaste for Sherman after the game yesterday. If anyone would like to read it, it's the second article on the blog. Feel free to leave comments.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
I know it's just one game, but I'm already done with Sherman. I think he took over a talented team and has slowly destriyed it with poor coaching and unbelievably stupid personnel moves. My buddy and I have a sports website called unrestrictedview.com. I wrote a full length article about my distaste for Sherman after the game yesterday. If anyone would like to read it, it's the second article on the blog. Feel free to leave comments.

I lost respect for Sherman January 14, 2004...the date we lost to the Eagles...a monument to coaching incompetence...and if you think this is brought on by one loss, you're wrong, i've been in support of this team but NEVER in support of the coaching staff...nothing short of a super bowl will have me regain respect for this coach, and we know that's not gonna happen...i dont know who called the game yesterday, but based on prior experiences alone he and rossley should both be shot...i didn't get yesterday's game in my area, but i'm sure after Javon Walker left the game, our game plan was reminiscent of the desperation in the 2nd half vs. Minnesota in the playoffs last year..."alright guys, run routes of some sort, Brett's gonna chuck the ball and its probably gonna get picked off"

I'm so sick of this team having no heart, drive, determination...several times last season we were flat, 1-4 to start the season in fact, lost a monday game at home last year to Tenn., lost a monday night game at home in '03 to philly, 1-2 in our last three home playoff games, we got outplayed and lost to atlanta in '03 and minnesota last year...we should've lost to seattle in '04 for all its worth...and it appears the cycle repeats itself as we laid a giant egg in an opener...

and you know what, i dont want to hear "its JUST the browns next week" at all...we're at home next week, in the past that has called for nothing greater than packer mediocrity...if we go in there with the 'just the browns' mentality, we're gonna be 0-2...there is no reason for this team to come out and stink up lambeau next week (as they did five times last season)...maybe the "fire coach" talk is a little premature, but if next week sees no improvement, yeah you're gonna hear it...why we gave this guy an extension is beyond me...

On the flip side, Jim Bates has done the intangible things with this defense that will shave points off the opposition's score...i love how he is rotating KGB in and out, i think its good, it appears our safeties actually are a presence in his new system, great play by Mark Roman yesterday...our defense is not top-flight, that's a no brainer, but if we're holding teams to under 20, that should be more than enough to earn a W...again, should be

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
I'm so sick of this team having no heart, drive, determination...several times last season we were flat, 1-4 to start the season in fact, lost a monday game at home last year to Tenn., lost a monday night game at home in '03 to philly, 1-2 in our last three home playoff games, we got outplayed and lost to atlanta in '03 and minnesota last year...we should've lost to seattle in '04 for all its worth...and it appears the cycle repeats itself as we laid a giant egg in an opener...
I just don't see how You fire a coach and these overpaid athletes all of a sudden play "Fired up". You throw the whole season in disaray.
Players should always have "heart" and not be told so by the coach.
I remember Brett Favre saying he heard about coaches telling their team to "step it up a notch" when the playoffs came to them. He said a Proffesional Football player should always be giving 100% all season long every time the step on the feild. If they step it up a notch for big games or the playoffs, were they holding back a little before then? If they don't leave it all on the feild, then thats the g.m.'s decision. And I believe Ted did trim some fat and cut the "hot tub" club this year. Give Sherman a chance as "just coach". At the combine they judge draft prospects by speed, power, jumping ability, arm strenth, accuracy, wonderlic test but they can't test " heart, drive, and determination. Let Sherman at least try to just coach for the whole year without having to search waiver wires or renegotiate contracts during the season. Leave the rest for Thompson and his staff. If the talent isn't there, then you go after the G.M.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
You're an idiot. Why would anyone care about some ******* "blog" you write?
I checked out his blog. A lot better than the the comments that you post on this site.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After 1 week in the NFL you are either 1-0 or 0-1, it is as simple as that. We are 0-1 and don't want to go 0-2.
I wonder if The Eagles fans are calling for Andy Reids head, what about Mike Shanahan is he on the block in Denver, what about any of the teams that lost last week.
It's one week, we stunk up the place, time to move on and learn from the mistakes made.
Instead of blaming everything on Sherman, I want to hear or see what veteran steps up this week and shows a little leaderdship.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wondered how long it would be before the idiotic "fire Sherman" crap would re-emerge. :puke:

I guess Andy Reid, Brian Billick, Herman Edwards, Mike Tice, Mike Martz and the other coaches who lost this week should also be fired. How about John Fox? The Panthers are picked by many to win the NFC and they lose to the Saints. I guess he deserves it too.

Consider this: Mike Sherman isn't going anywhere until after week 17, and probably not then. There isn't one thing you can bring forward about Sherman that hasn't been :puke: 1000 or more times in the past 5 years.

Also: this is a rebuilding year. Walker's injury seals it. So you want to bring in a new coach, new system, probably new players to rebuild another year?

Why not look at the team. The offense is essentially 9(now 8) of the same players as last year. Why did they do so well last year and stink now? I suspect it has something to do with home field advantage for the Lions, who I picked to contend for the title months ago. This is going to be a dogfight to the final week in a division that might be the worst in football, but none-the-less, our division. Why not put a cork in it about Sherman's status until the results are final? :roll:

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
net,

i would take ANY of those coaches that you mention..(yes, even TICE) over mike Sherman..in a heartbeat...

rebuilding year?

what a cop out...i guess they've been re-building for 5 years now...that's why they can't win at home or in the playoffs...

i do not understand your loyalty to this boob....

(the whole league was in shock when he was offered a 2 year extension)

He is quickly becoming the biggest joke in the nfl...and STILL you defend him....

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
DePack said:
You're an idiot. Why would anyone care about some ******* "blog" you write?
I checked out his blog. A lot better than the the comments that you post on this site.

OUCH - that one's gotta hurt.....

Just to be fair to the rest - here's THAT BLOG....

Custer's Last Stand

I have watched alot of Packer games in my life, but I have never seen one as terrible and poorly played as what I just witnessed. I've seen games when Favre tries to force the ball too much and the Pack gets into problems with turnovers. Those are tough to watch, but it comes with the territory. You can't get mad at Favre for that. Sometimes he throws picks, sometimes its the best play you've ever seen. We Packer fans deal with it.

Today's game was a direct result of a horrific coach who has hung onto Brett Favre's coat tails to somehow continually make it to the playoffs and mask his own incompetency.

Issue #1-Play Calling

Sherman refuses to throw the ball down field. Does he think Favre doesn't have the arm? Does he not feel that Walker, Driver, and Ferguson are capable wideouts? Favre completed 27 passes. 12 of those were to running backs. One was a 17 yarder to Driver, but other than that none went for over 11 yards. Down by 2 touchdowns with under two minutes left, Sherman is still calling screens and flares. This makes absolutely no sense. It's like sac bunting in the ninth when you're down by 8 runs. Only Joe Morgan would advise that.

Second, the only thing that was having success all day was Ahman Green and the running game. Ahman averaged just under 5 yards a carry and was never stopped for less htan three yards. Even though it was a tight ball game all the way through, Sherman called in #30 just 12 times.

Issue #2-Penalties

A sure fire sign of a poorly coached and non-disciplined team is penalties. Green Bay had 14 for 100 yards, not to mention 5 by CB Ahmad Carroll. (another one of Sherman's brilliant draft picks) Five penalties by a single player in one game is ridiculous. The kid had problems with it all last year and Sherman refuses to bench him. Three of those penalties kept drives alive and one negated a 40 yard punt return. Carroll is a parasite to the team, but Sherman refuses to admit his mistake in not only drafting him but also allowing him to keep his starting position.

Issue #3-Kick Returns

Antonio Chatman has proven for 2 years now that he is not capable of hadling punt retuns or kickoff returns. He has never once broke a big play and will not even attempt to try. The job of a punt returner is to advance the ball downfield as far as possible, not simply secure the ball with a fair catch where ever it lands. Chatman seems more scared of being hit than Rodney King. Just catch the ball and run it, Antonio! Have a little faith that you won't fumble. Terrence Murphy and Robert Ferguson handled kick returns at A&M and were more than capable. Let's take that job away from Chatwoman and give it to one of them. And while we're at it, just release Chatwoman too. He serves no benefit to the team. Why can you not see this Mike Sherman?

I often stay up until 6 or 7 in the morning wondering how Mike Sherman got the job as head coach of the most storied franchise in the NFL. How does one go from TE coach of a struggling Seahawks team with no good tight ends to head coach of a perrinial playoff team?

Here's the answer, as dumb as it may sound. As a favor to Mike Holmgren, who is God in Titletown, the organization agreed to interview him the day before they were to meet with Marty Schottenheimer. Apparently, Bob Harlan was so blown away by measly Mike Sherman he gave him the job on the spot. What? We're not even going to talk with Marty? Didn't he lead the Chiefs to the playoffs for something like a million consecutive years? We don't even want to see what he has to say? I guess we really think this TE coach is going to be something. Turns out we were wrong. The ironic thing is that this guy who supposedly specializes in tight ends doesn't even use our gifted Bubba Franks properly. I can't remember the last time we throw to him inside the 20s. He was one of the premier TEs in the league his first couple years. Then the TE guru took over as head coach and took him out of the offense. Incredible! He can't even get that right.

I'd get into Sherman's terrible drafts but there is no point. The Pack was finally smart enough to relieve him of his GM duties. It just took a little too long. The fact is that this might be one of the worst coaches in the league. His record looks good but I don't think he had much influence on that. He inherited a strong team from the Holmgren era and has taken into a slow decline every year since. And this is where we're at now. Ridiculous! How did we not see it coming? Holmgren must be laughing his way to the playoffs. He no longer has to compete with the team he created.

But I guess it's useless to complain. The Packers extended this bum's contract for 2 more years this offseason. I guess all you Vikings, Bears, and Lions fans have something to look forward to. Well, maybe not the Vikings. After all, they extended Mike Tice this offseason too.

Right off the bat - I saw multiple attempts with Brett throwin the LONG BOMB - it's just that he was heaving it mid-season style.. and the WR's couldn't get far enuf down the damn field to catch them... otherwise, they were all instant TD's... I don't think even JW could've made those catches - and he did miss a few before getting hurt...

Question: How many screen passes did we see all day long?
How many crossing route patterns is Tom Rossley capable of? can ya tell me that?
If he is capable - doesn't he telegraph his intentions - like watching a rookie QB simply stare at his intended WR?

I won't even waste space here about Ahmad Carroll - The man "talks" like he isn't gonna keep lettin' his bad habits continue - but, we'll see. There's comes a point of NO RETURN and you MUST cut your losses...

Why wasn't Najeh used extensively on Punt Returns? Anyone?

Defense was amazing - Colin, Collins, Montgomery, etc - all starting to get it...

Brett needs a stern talkin' to on his SNAFU near the goal line...
He was within four yards of walkin the TD in on his own...
He was amazingly "asleep at the wheel" - Favre becomes a guy who needs a Favor!
I'd be the first to tell him so - if he were to walk up right now....

The whole Offense is having troubles... and they need to find an identity - QUICK!
C'mon, Beightol - get with it...!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One other thing - that Marty Schottenheimer humor you threw at us?

KNOCK IT OFF - I'll b-slap anyone who says Schottenheimer would be good for Green Bay.
What did Kurt Schottenheimer do for us? Huh? knock that crap off....

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I lost 20 IQ points by reading that guy's blog (luckily I have a bunch to spare). I'm not even sure he watched the damn game. Ahman was the only thing that was working so we need to hand off to him more often, but we also need to throw it downfield more often?

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
i would take ANY of those coaches that you mention..(yes, even TICE) over mike Sherman..in a heartbeat...

WOW. Are you kidding me? Mike Tice? Meathead over Sherman? HA! OMFG......

Tice will be gone in Minny before Sherman is gone in GB....guaranteed....

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
I wondered how long it would be before the idiotic "fire Sherman" crap would re-emerge. :puke:

I guess Andy Reid, Brian Billick, Herman Edwards, Mike Tice, Mike Martz and the other coaches who lost this week should also be fired. How about John Fox? The Panthers are picked by many to win the NFC and they lose to the Saints. I guess he deserves it too.

Consider this: Mike Sherman isn't going anywhere until after week 17, and probably not then. There isn't one thing you can bring forward about Sherman that hasn't been :puke: 1000 or more times in the past 5 years.

Also: this is a rebuilding year. Walker's injury seals it. So you want to bring in a new coach, new system, probably new players to rebuild another year?

Why not look at the team. The offense is essentially 9(now 8) of the same players as last year. Why did they do so well last year and stink now? I suspect it has something to do with home field advantage for the Lions, who I picked to contend for the title months ago. This is going to be a dogfight to the final week in a division that might be the worst in football, but none-the-less, our division. Why not put a cork in it about Sherman's status until the results are final? :roll:

lets just wait awhile before action on sherman. its only one week and one game. settle down and have a beer.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
P@ck66 said:

WOW. Are you kidding me? Mike Tice? Meathead over Sherman? HA! OMFG......

Tice will be gone in Minny before Sherman is gone in GB....guaranteed....

Tice week 10
Sherman week 13

its set in stone

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackIt,

This isn't the News-Chronicle board, and what I was about to say would be edited to cyberspace.

But if you want to spend ANOTHER f------ season mashing your gums about something that has been beaten to death, may I suggest you go to a forum that would love your input...and talk with the children there.

I don't like the Packers losing either, but the knee-jerk instinct you and others have to lop off the head of a winning coach when they happen to lose a game on the road is beyond me. It really is childish.

This is a game, sir. Some teams win, some teams lose. The Packers have won for so long, you think it's forever. It's not.

The Packers fans were once renowned because they were the greatest "fans" around. Win or lose, they were there. Folks like you are making me really have deep despair for the future, not of the team, but the reputation that Packers fans are the best.

:(

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
PackIt,

This isn't the News-Chronicle board, and what I was about to say would be edited to cyberspace.

But if you want to spend ANOTHER f------ season mashing your gums about something that has been beaten to death, may I suggest you go to a forum that would love your input...and talk with the children there.

I don't like the Packers losing either, but the knee-jerk instinct you and others have to lop off the head of a winning coach when they happen to lose a game on the road is beyond me. It really is childish.

This is a game, sir. Some teams win, some teams lose. The Packers have won for so long, you think it's forever. It's not.

The Packers fans were once renowned because they were the greatest "fans" around. Win or lose, they were there. Folks like you are making me really have deep despair for the future, not of the team, but the reputation that Packers fans are the best. :(

if you think this is a knee jerk reaction to one road loss, you're way wrong, i was questionable to his coaching on several occasions througout his tenure, relieved when he was relieved of his GM duties, but perplexed as hell when he got an extension,

i'm not saying fire him YET...i'm in huge denial of his coaching ability right now and i swear to god if we botch up cleveland next week, everyone will take the standpoint that i'm oh so close to taking...

at this point of the season i'm not going to say "oh well we've gone 10-6 every other season, mike sherman's earned that type of credibility" (he hasnt)...I will give credit WHEN credit is due, example, i was skeptical (not bitterly negative) of the packers defense, we hold the lions to under-20, i complement jim bates, you gotta give to get here...i touted sherman for the first two years, he put us in the playoffs, i loved the way he stood up to warren sapp, but since then, this team's been falling further away from our goal...

i remember this discussion before, i think it was the same topic maybe...there's a line between criticism and outright negativity,

and i could get into specifics about his offensive game plan, but this guy is not a very offensive guy, and i want him out of green bay before he has a chance to contaminate aaron rodgers...

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Relax everyone, geez! It was one game. Granted Mike doesn't seem to do a very good job getting his team up and ready to play, but the players do have to take some responsibility too. The biggest problem Sherman has is that these are all the players that he chose. He didn't do a very good job as GM. Let's see how he does as the year goes on. I think we'll know a lot more by the end of the year than we know now. At least I hope we do.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Net - I think I'm more disappointed by what we all can pretty clearly see as a smoke screen by Mike Sherman... This Detroit game had all the earmarks of what we saw in AZ in 2003... over 33,000 Cheeseheads all rushed to Tempe AZ to witness an amazingly embarrassing LOSS to a Team that the OC played down to... Plus, he never had the ****** to admit it... by Season's End - he finally had to admit that the INT on Brett was because of HIS play calling...

Sherman just needs to own up to the fact that he was letting Rossley call the plays on last Sunday's game..... I've been to about a half-dozen boards now... and they all allude to the same thing.

If he tells everyone that "he's" calling the plays, then we'd see it right off..
He wasn't calling those plays for at least 75% of the time....
I was writin' em down during the game and was right on with the Rossley plan over 60% of the time.. and I wasn't even there at Ford Field.

I don't care if he likes TR being his caddy during the off-season... just get him either out of the OC chair or force him to stand on the sideline like an OC who has some courage for a change... being right in the thick of it... Which, btw - is exactly where the Lions OC was for most of the game. In the whole time that we've had Tom Rossley as our OC - I don't think Ive ever witnessed him on the sidelines during a regular season game. I highly question why not...?

'sides, we all know Brett prefers it that way... If TR is so smitten with BF, then where is he?
Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me.....!

That's all I'm askin'.... Put Rossley in the limelight and watch him fold like a wet paper suit....

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The entire offense has gone from very good last year(Rossley was there, too) to sputtering in 9 months.

Sorry to suggest this, but there's more wrong there than the playcalling.

I won't elaborate, as that should be another thread. But another thing that some people fall into is the idea..."we beat them before, so we WILL do it again". That's not the NFL. The Eagles beat the Falcons before, but they had their ***** handed to them Monday night.

I guess Andy Reid should be fired, too. His record is even better than Sherman's, so I guess he REALLY should be fired. Andy never won the Super Bowl, either, so he must be a lousy coach, just like Tony Dungy, another loser who hasn't won the Super Bowl. Oh, yea, and fire Joe Gibbs, he doesn't know anything about football..and while your at it, give Bill Parcells one more game to lose before you fire him. He luckily won Sunday or it would be "doomsday" for him, that loser.

:roll:

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Net, if you are honest with yourself, and everyone else, you know for FACT that the offense added about a dozen points when MS took over playcalling dutues, and fell off big time during the playoffs where it is widely speculated that TR had a much bigger hand in things.

At least be honest about this inconvenient fact.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MS will determine his own fate this year. If he has a good year, he will have earned his extension. If he has a bad year, they will think nothing of firing him and absorbing his contract. They have done that before. There may even be a buyout clause for all we know.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
net said,

"I don't like the Packers losing either, but the knee-jerk instinct you and others have to lop off the head of a winning coach when they happen to lose a game on the road is beyond me. It really is childish.

This is a game, sir. Some teams win, some teams lose. The Packers have won for so long, you think it's forever. It's not. "

Net,

This is far from a "knee-jerk" reaction...anybody who knows me from the NC forum knows i've been calling for Sherman's replacement for 5 years now...and it's not just because the Pack has lost 1 game...it's because Sherman has shown "consistantly" that he is thoroughly "incompetent"...

(and over those 5 years..i have recommended many coaches who were snapped up by other teams...i really would have liked to see "Mooch" as HC of the GB Packers..among others..)

and no...i do not think that the Packers have won "forever"...i was around during the 70's and 80's...

and what i detect to be your meaning of a "good" Packer fan is one who shuts up and supports the party-line and never questions the GM, HC..or front office...(whether he thinks that the coaches are incompetent, unqualified, or both...)

and I for one...do not like the fact that you assume that I am not "supporting" the Packers because i am questioning some of their executive decisions...

(they had that same philosophy in a little country in Europe in the 1930's...and it exists amongst the current ruling elite in Washington, DC today...and I don't buy into it..!)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts