Call Vince Young or Matt Flynn...and NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRightEdge

One concern, now widely reported, is that the tendonitis in his Flynn's throwing elbow, first reported in August 2012 with the Seahawks, has not improved.

I suspect, given the quick bums rush out of Oakland after he received a $6.5 million guarantee, there's more to it than that. One week with Buffalo, then out the door....beat out by Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis?

Unless Flynn was able to hide a significant issue from both Oakland and Buffalo, like he needs Tommy John surgery, the tendonitis story doesn't add up.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Could there be other reasons not just MM??? Maybe it's what HRE posted???
Yes it can.. But we dont know.. But listening to some it is Wallace sucks no matter what..you wont consider any other possibility..but we have to believe flynn is the answer

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes it can.. But we dont know.. But listening to some it is Wallace sucks no matter what..you wont consider any other possibility..but we have to believe flynn is the answer
I'm not beating the drum for either Flynn or Wallace. Frankly, I have no idea who we are better off with at this point. Not doing cartwheels over either one.

My point was that Flynn had a thin resume when he left the Packers so saying his lackluster play since is a result of Mike not being around doesn't make sense to me. He started what? two games for the Packers. As I recall when he hit free agency there were concerns about his PT among other teams looking to sign him.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not beating the drum for either Flynn or Wallace. Frankly, I have no idea who we are better off with at this point. Not doing cartwheels over either one.

My point was that Flynn had a thin resume when he left the Packers so saying his lackluster play since is a result of Mike not being around doesn't make sense to me. He started what? two games for the Packers. As I recall when he hit free agency there were concerns about his PT among other teams looking to sign him.

As long as you are willing to see what Wallace offers..I have no issues..

I have issues with people that say he sucks and he wont do anything..

Does Wallace have a history of only performing to a settle level??? Yup he does..

But I pointed out more than once, he had to deal with different OC..Didnt have really good Wr or a real good running game...

Holmgren saw enough of him in 5 years? To trade for him.....He was never cut for performance ,but cut for his salary in Cleveland...Sunshine claimed that Holmgren did wonders for Young, Brett and a few other q.b///Ok, then if he traded for Wallace, that should tell everyone that he sees or saw something in Wallace..

I posted a few articles from coaches explaining why Wallace is good and why they like him...

MM and Ted dumped guys that were here for a while to sign Wallace..That should tell everyone something..

Or do people truly think TT and MM just decided on a whim, hey we should cut the back up that been here for a year or two and get someone 6 days before the start of the season...That is how some are coming across..and that is just silly to think that way..

I told Bus that under Sherman, Brett was reckless...MM came around and he got Brett to settle in..Took a season and a half but when he settled down, we started to win and made it to the NFCCG

Flynn sucked in 3 q? vs Detroit when Rodgers had a concussion...But the next week almost beat NE and should have if it wasnt for that ST goof....Then when Flynn had time to prepare for the Detroit game he tossed 6 tds

My stance is MM will only get plays that he knows Wallace can make...And if Wallace really has a hard time again then I will be upset as well...

But the haters should relax and see what MM can do and how Wallace performs..

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as you are willing to see what Wallace offers..I have no issues..

I have issues with people that say he sucks and he wont do anything..Does Wallace have a history of only performing to a settle level???Yup he does..
But I pointed out more than once, he had to deal with different OC..Didnt have really good Wr or a real good running game...

Holmgren saw enough of him in 5 years? To trade for him.....He was never cut for performance ,but cut for his salary in Cleveland...

I posted a few articles from coaches explaining why Wallace is good and why they like him...

MM and Ted dumped guys that were here for a while to sign Wallace..That should tell everyone something..

Or do people truly think TT and MM just decided on a whim, hey we should cut the back up that been here for a year or two and get someone 6 days before the start of the season...That is how some are coming across..and that is just silly to think that way..

I told Bus that under Sherman, Brett was reckless...MM came around and he got Brett to settle in..Took a season and a half but when he settled down, we started to win and made it to the NFCCG

Flynn sucked in 3 q? vs Detroit when Rodgers had a concussion...But the next week almost beat NE and should have if it wasnt for that ST goof....Then when Flynn had time to prepare for the Detroit game he tossed 6 tds

My stance is MM will only get plays that he knows Wallace can make...And if Wallace really has a hard time again then I will be upset as well...

But the haters should relax and see what MM can do and how Wallace performs..
No problem with what you said! :tup:Not wanting Wallace to succeed is pretty poor if you are a true Packer fan.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh

You "told" me? Seriously? It couldn't just be that Sherman was a hack and had no clue how to run the team/offense/play calling. It had to be that MM rode in on a white horse and saved BF from himself. I don't think that MM thinks that highly of himself.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Theres a difference between being realistic and just having Packer blinders on...i'm realistic with a bit of optimism. If Rodgers is out for a significant amount of time? With the qb situation we have now? we'd be lucky to win another game the rest of the season. I don't care what you TT lovers say but 80% of the blame goes to him, Rodgers hasn't had an adequate backup since Flynn left and that is a FACT.

Vince Young came in and did a solid job but then they cut the dam guy? not only that they cut the guy's they ended up keeping over Young. I knew thiswould happen sooner or later and now we have gone from the best qb situation to the worse qb situation in the league without Rodgers. If we kept Young he could've been up to speed with the playbook and actually gave us a chance to win last night. This is unreal smh.

Doesn't anyone realize that Young was horrible in his last preseason game and threw picks in walk throughs? That was his super bowl and he blew it. Also, Flynn has just been ditched by three teams and has an elbow injury. Maybe someone on one of those teams knows something about quarterbacks? Maybe MM does too? Hmmm?

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Flynn has just been ditched by three teams and has an elbow injury. Maybe someone on one of those teams knows something about quarterbacks? Maybe MM does too? Hmmm?
I still maintain that all he needs to prove is he's better than Tolzien in order to make the team. Wallace has had time to prepare, if he still sucks then we'll see how the FO reacts.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
I still maintain that all he needs to prove is he's better than Tolzien in order to make the team. Wallace has had time to prepare, if he still sucks then we'll see how the FO reacts.
Complete agreeancement. I just don't like the idea of replacing a young prospect with another vet. I'd rather keep the prospect and replace one vet with another vet.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Complete agreeancement. I just don't like the idea of replacing a young prospect with another vet. I'd rather keep the prospect and replace one vet with another vet.
From my limited MMQB perspective I would imagine Tolzien is getting some time under center as well, even if it's with the 2nd string, to see what he can do just in case, but I'd rather Flynn have his shot to try out for backup if nothing else. Sucks we may need to consider a mid-season QB competition but that's what it is.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
(bangs head repeatedly against wall) We have a different offensive cord since flynn left with different WRs, TEs, and RBs. So please, stop with "he knows the system". If the system was important he would be in Miami with Philbin

It wasn't Philbin system. It was McCarthy's. It's always been McCarthy's.

Seriously get a clue. Do you just think because Pete Charmichael is the OC of the Saints, that it's his offense? No. It's Payton's.

We might have different players and the playcalling in terms of balance might be different but it's still the same system. Flynn knows the offense and while he might not be familiar with some of the new players he has chemistry with a few of our players and wideouts and that's what's really important.

Look at the Patriots? They've had like 4 different coordinators and yet it seems like every season they bring back Deion Branch because he has chemistry with Tom Brady.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, the offensive "system" hasn't changed under Clements. He was just a Philbin understudy in the first place.

I guess I'd go ahead and start Tolzien, since he played pretty well, but I'd go ahead and sign Flynn because Wallace may as well go on the IR if he can't return anytime soon.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't Philbin system. It was McCarthy's. It's always been McCarthy's.

Seriously get a clue. Do you just think because Pete Charmichael is the OC of the Saints, that it's his offense? No. It's Payton's.

We might have different players and the playcalling in terms of balance might be different but it's still the same system. Flynn knows the offense and while he might not be familiar with some of the new players he has chemistry with a few of our players and wideouts and that's what's really important.

Look at the Patriots? They've had like 4 different coordinators and yet it seems like every season they bring back Deion Branch because he has chemistry with Tom Brady.

Yes, 3 years ago he threw balls to 2 players on the offense. In the mean time the offensive line is either new or shuffled, the terminology has changed, the offensive cord has put his touch on the "system" we also have new WRs and RBs.

Did you just compare Matt Flynn to ton Brady? (Sigh) some never get it. Do you think the terminology is the same? That the plays haven't changed?

Do you think favre could step in too on a moments notice?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Well with Wallace now injured; depending on how long it takes to heal, it seems Flynn is probably about the only option to come in cold and try to run this complicated offense. Tolzien did well though, for how little time he's had to prepare. With Flynn, they *might* be able to keep his elbow healthy if they hold him to a "**** and dunk" routine. But sheesh, ya hate to spend the money on a couple of weeks of fill in.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Did you just compare Matt Flynn to ton Brady? (Sigh) some never get it. Do you think the terminology is the same? That the plays haven't changed?

No I'm referencing chemistry between players regardless of who is calling the plays.

Do you think favre could step in too on a moments notice?

Well has more experience with McCarthy, playing football and winning football games period. But no considering he doesn't want to play and isn't shape to play

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Flynn is to work out for the Packers today.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/231427861.html

Flynn would be able to step right in and function well in the offense. The basics of the offense are the same as when he was on the team and he would just have to be brought up to date with some of the changes in the run game and audible system.

Regardless of what happens with Flynn, Tolzien is the starter against the New York Giants. If the Packers had wanted Flynn to be their backup, they could have done it a month or so ago when he was cut by the Raiders.

What has changed is that was just to see how Flynn was doing and whether he would be an option if one of their two healthy quarterbacks got hurt. Now, it's possible the Packers really need a backup. If Wallace is out this week, they have to add somebody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts