1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

California's prop 19 (Marijuana law)

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Mushroom, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom Packer Owner/Shareholder

Ratings:
    +105
    Cali votes today on this issue, if passed it will take effect immediately.
    What are your thoughts? Legalization of pot <28 grams (1 oz)....

I think is a pretty bold endevor by the state. Saving $ on law enforment (possibly) and gaining untold millions (billions) in tax revenue. Seems like a win-win at face value. Of course they'll be some initial drawbacks and some growing pains...
    But, im in the group that thinks its safer than booze, but, thats just me...
    thoughts? concerns?

2. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    If this passes plan on Cali's general population to increase 10 fold. Well I'm Packin up my game and headed west! Weeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    Great idea but if the FEDs dont go along with the voters its going to be a huge problem.

Someday in our lifetime weed will be legal as most people under 60 think its not an issue. Just gotta wait for the 60+ demographic to pass away.

4. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    I would of been on board with this like 20 yrs ago.... I'll be glad when today is over.
    *This is I<3GB! and I approve this message:spiteful:

5. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    Hehehehe...Love it! I was thinking they're gonna have a wave of emigration too. Call em the 10'ers or maybe the 420'ers?

Oh and I forgot to mention it'd pretty much cut out the Mexican cartel for their role in the Marijuana trade. = less violence....they'll still be bringing coke and meth up but hell, im sure that bud is a good chuck of their moo-laa...

Im just really curious to see how all of the election **** is going to turn out tonight.

6. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    I remember Obama saying that he's wasnt going to waste federal resources infringing upon state made laws...Lets face it though, he may not have much time left.
    I would like to think that the Feds have more important **** to do than do bust down a door and seize a small baggie of plant material...but they seem to think they dont, so, idk?

7. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,427
    That's the problem, even if the state passes it, and I think it stands an excellent chance of passing on state level, the probability of Federal interference is almost certain. Cali should just secede and have their own merry little land!

8. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    I dont really think this will boil down to Potsmokers vs non....I think the people of Cali are smart enough to know they dont want their tax dollars spent making arrests, housing, feeding, and tieing up courts for tie-dye wearing pot smokers.....
    If it were my dime (which it is in WI) I would vote for my tax dollars going toward more important issues (education, infrastructure, and all of the good stuff were used to)

9. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Well sure they are going to say that. Until someone comes along and does something that they can't possibly ignore. If Cali gets away with it without FED interference, I see other states wanting to do the same thing. The collective theory for pot heads. Eventually it's going to have to be dealt with on a federal level. That is if it is even allowed to proceed that far.

10. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    It'll be interesting to see how this all works out a few months/years down the road...But yeah, 1 way or another the Feds will have to take a real position...Funny thing is,I dont hear about the Feds turning away the tax dollars they receive from Cali's Medical dispensaries...

11. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    The idea the state is going to reap all this money from the sale of marijuana is a joke and just propaganda by proponents of legalization. You think people are gonna pay $50/ounce tax on the stuff. Nope, they'll just keep on growing it themselves. So the idea of the state making tons of money is ridiculous.

I don't see why it's illegal in the first place. So I hope it passes. Alcohol is actually more damaging to your body than pot. And when was the last time you read about a driver smoking a joint killing an entire family? Maybe it's happened, But I can't think of a time I've seen that in the papers.

The Feds do have the right to enforce federal laws, and if the federal law says marijuana is illegal, the feds could pressure California by withholding money for infrastructure projects, schools, etc... if they wanted. The question is will the feds take that initiative. Not to mention take it to the supreme court and have the law shot down as infringing on the domain of the Federal government and unconstitutional (just like the Arizona immigration law).

We fought a war that kind of settled State Rights vs Federal Rights and the Federal Government of the United States won. It was called the Civil War. So Cali can pass it, doesn't mean the feds will let them. Although it doesn't seem like Obama is very proactive on protecting the Federal Government rights on this right now. Doesn't mean the next guy won't be.

Seriously though, Marijuana should have been legal since the 70s. If everybody who was against legalizing it smoked some, they would be like, "Oh, so this is all it does! Makes you feel greatly relaxed. This isn't any worse then drinking!" The people against pot seem to think it's like crack cocaine or something. Stupid Reefer Madness propaganda from the 30s. Ugh........

As for the population increasing after the law. Doubt it. I can get as much weed as I want right here in Dallas without going to Cali for it. And it's just as good as it's the same hybrids popular there.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    I clicked your post as awesome, but I'll type it out too, that was pretty awesome :)

You present a good point about the growing aspect of it. The state will make and save $$, perhaps nowhere near what they're forecasting, but its a step in the right direction.

Interesting point on the Civil War too....and especially so when you're mentioning withholding funds from the state....It'll be touch and go, but who knows, it may not even pass!

13. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    One question. Who gains if marijuana is illegal?

What are the top industries in the "vice" department?

Probably, if marijuana is legal, there would be a lot of people who would stop using other substances. Who doesn't want to lose market?

There aren't many marijuana lobbyists in the congress, I don't think...

14. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    Honestly, I really dont know, RS
    I read a report saying that this company that runs the private prisons in Cali were really trying hard to get this squashed (of course)...

Who gains if its legal? One could say the potheads, one could say the 1st companies who jump on the bandwagon, but, I'd still say the taxpayers would ultimately be the biggest beneficiary. The courts here in Rock County (WI) are flooded with simple possession cases. One night, Easter Sunday actually, I was 17, driving my parents car, I got pulled over. I didnt have my wallet on me, therefore, I couldnt prove who I really was. I got taken in to County until they could be reached via phone and bring me what I needed to get out. (ID, their registration and $250 bond for my speeding ticket) I was in the holding tank with I think 11 jokers. :jester:...1 was there for fighting, 2 for warrants, me, and I think 6 were there for weed. I didnt get in to how much they had, but even then I thought that was a waste...and that was before I understood how much it actually costs to arrest, feed, house, and send through court.
    To sum it up, I, Myself, dont like seeing any amount of the 27% of my paycheck (less say 9% for the state and all that) used for busting people who smoke pot....I say, ban alcohol if they're gonna ban pot..."But they've tired that before...remember prohibition?"
    Yeah, It didnt work, hopefully years from now they'll be saying the same thing about the criminalization of pot.

15. turbo69

turbo69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    Two good things would happen. More jobs.......and when both the state and Feds tax it, the money received would help both governments with revenue. Problem is their would need to be some way to tell if someone was high while driving. Some sort of breath test. People are already talking on the phone and texting so adding weed to the mix would be even more risk on the roads.

16. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    You don't know who wins if pot is illegal?
    Have a drink, smoke a cigarette and let's discuss it, then.

17. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105

Well lets see, cotton and other fabric industries, the suppliers (usually south of the border, but not always), the alcohol industry, im sure somehow the government...but who else?

18. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    Attorney General Eric Holder said the Obama administration "strongly opposes" a California ballot measure to legalize marijuana, warning that federal drug-enforcement efforts would be "greatly complicated" if the measure passes.

Wall Street Journal: Election Day Should California voters pass Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana?

He is stuck between a rock and a hard place in my opinion.

19. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    LOL mushroom would start this thread.

20. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    Hmmm, a stance change vs the medical marijuana debate, getting interesting ...

21. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    LOL, since you mentioned it, its actually in reference to Morel Mushrooms, which I love to hunt every spring. You'll notice my signed up date is in the heart or Morel season :) I had the Morel avatar for a while but decided it was time for some green and/or yellow, but still wanting to stick to my namesake...confusing individual, I know...

22. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    I was trying to be cute but will be blunt.
    It's in the best interest of the Tobacco and Alcohol industries to have a ban on marijuana. It's another addictive product to compete with them. One that interferes with your state the same way alcohol does (obviously not in the same way), and that has the same ingestion method as a cigarette.

Smoking is cool, but smoking a cigarette that causes more effect is even better.
    Getting drunk is good, but the hangover is terrible. Much better to get high.

Those industries do not want competition. They can cohesist with each other, but marijuana competes with both of them.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    Yeah man, sorry about my ****** replies the last few hours. Work suddenly got a lot more busy and I had to cut my answers shorter.
    I was tip-toeing only because you never know one's stance on such a "touchy subject", lol. Well, 7 hours or so and we shall see who will prevail...
    Maybe im pig-headed, but I really dont see how the Con's can possibly outweigh the Pro's...

24. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    You know who else is hurt by legalizing weed. The Lumber industry. I remember hearing you could make a heck of a lot of paper out of hemp vs the same amount of wood.

Phillip Morris is gonna crap their pants if weed gets legalized.

25. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    Pro: Taco Bell stock goes WAY up. Buy now folks.

• Like Like x 2