C Hank Fraley Could Get Traded Do We Go After Him?

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard for Hank Fraley to say he wouldn't welcome a trade to a team where he could start, because, well, he would.

Fraley, 28, an Eagle since 2000, is in the final year of his contract. After 4 ½ seasons as the starting center, he opened this training camp backing up his former understudy, Jamaal Jackson. Officially, Jackson and Fraley are competing for the starting job, but Jackson has gotten all the starting reps, except for a few days he missed recently with an ankle sprain.

Fraley made it clear yesterday it would be hard to leave the Eagles, but it might be even harder to enter free agency next spring off a year spent as a little-used backup.

"You always want to be out there starting," Fraley said yesterday. "I can't worry about that stuff. I can't predict the future and what's going to happen. I'm just battling here. I'm worried about what's happening here. Everything else'll work itself out. Things happen for a reason... Who knows what's going to happen?... All I can predict right now, I'm going in to get a shower."

Media speculation has held that the Cleveland Browns are interested in Fraley, after losing LeCharles Bentley to knee surgery and seeing replacement Bob Hallen retire. Fraley said he doesn't think about situations around the league where teams might need starters - although in the Sports Illustrated article last week detailing Fraley's battle with Jackson, Fraley was quoted as being interested in going to Pittsburgh, where he played in college at Robert Morris, and attended his first pro camp with the Steelers. Fraley, now married again, also has a son by his first wife who lives in the Pittsburgh area.

Fraley agreed that Cleveland "is real close" to Pittsburgh, but said it hasn't been on his mind.

"That stuff'll get sorted out after the season," he said.

Fraley said his brief fracas yesterday with Jeremiah Trotter, meanwhile, was sorted out very quickly.

"It wasn't really a fight, it was a little tussle, I guess," Fraley said. "That stuff starts on the field and stays on the field."

Trotter conceded that Fraley might have had a right to be angry, given that the middle linebacker grabbed Fraley by the facemask and threw him to the ground.

Do we go after him?

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His size is about...wtf?

He started for the Eagles for god's sake for the last few years. Sign him now TT. The Pack can't afford to be picky!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
His size is about...wtf?

He started for the Eagles for god's sake for the last few years. Sign him now TT. The Pack can't afford to be picky!

If you try to bring in guys who don't fit the scheme, then it'll get even worse than it was on Saturday.

With that said Fraley is 6'4" 300 so that's about right. If he could play guard, then GB should make some sort of move to get him.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't buy all that scheme B.S...sounds like an excuse to me.

Move Wells over to Guard, let Fraley play Center, then you only have one guard position to fill!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
I don't buy all that scheme B.S...sounds like an excuse to me.

Move Wells over to Guard, let Fraley play Center, then you only have one guard position to fill!

If your running a zone scheme you can't take 340 pound lineman and put them in there. They can't move. They won't be able to move and find the guy. The reason why the scheme works in Denver and Atlanta is because they all have guys who fit the scheme.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are some 340 pounders in the NFL who are suprisingly quick and agile. So you can't always go by body type.

I think "the scheme" argument can be used an excuse by people, that's all.

What do you think about moving Wells to guard if the Pack got Fraley?

Reaction score
TomAllen said:
There are some 340 pounders in the NFL who are suprisingly quick and agile. So you can't always go by body type.

Actually, Jags himself, and that Falcoms fan who posts here both said this scheme will be great as long as we have the players to fit the scheme. Not sure I remember a 340 pound G who was quick and agile though.

However, I do agree with your idea of moving wells to LG, having Fraley start at C, and Spitz at RG. The only downside is Fraley will need time to get to know the scheme, since he has no concept of it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:

What do you think about moving Wells to guard if the Pack got Fraley?

They're are no 340 pounders that can play the scheme. This is why Whitticker and Barry had too lose weight in the off season.

I would love for GB to get Fraley. I think that would be great. I'm not sure the Eagles asking price though. If it's a 4th round pick then def do it. A 1st or 2nd is just too much to give for a Center. Even a 3rd is pushing it. I can't imagine Philly asking for anything more than a 4th rounder. GB should jump on this. They missed out on Ashworth and potentially getting Jeff Faine for a 4th round pick. Here is a chance to patch something up.

Reaction score
Actually, I'll put the Browns as the leader to land Fraley. They lost LeCharles, then the guy behind him and the expected starter retired, and then the 3rd string C who was going to now start has been suspended 4 games for substance abuse.

Pudge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky is right, you can't mix and match schemes. Particularly at the center position, which is the anchor of the zone blocking scheme. Fraley comes from a scheme in Philadelphia that is built around the road-grading man blocking scheme.

He'd be a poor fit in Green Bay's new scheme. If he had a whole summer to pick up the scheme, it wouldn't be a bad trade, but if he's traded for and asked to start right away, you're probably only making things worse.

This is a trade that the Packers proabbly should have made 2-3 weeks ago. Then it would have been a smart trade.

If Ted Thompson was smart he would have acquired an OL from Denver when he traded Javon Walker. But TT and smart can't be used in the same sentence it would seem. :twisted:

Members online

Latest posts