Bye Week Adjustments and or Changes

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will Ross survive?

Do they have the stones to let Lovat go finally after the 8th hamstring injury of the season?

Will they lose this week 17 with home field advantage, soft, lets be safe and precautious attitude?

Will Burnett finally be allowed to participate in a game going forward?

What will the new secondary look like with Burnett and hopefully Casey back? Will Tramon be seeing more time on the bench?

Now that Franklin has shown the "lightening" will it alter the running game plan?

Will they address the awful blocking and decision making of EDS? More times that no he is standing around or giving help to a guy who doesn't need help. Figure out the line calls already!!!

Will Aaron relax a little bit and remember that this is supposed to be somewhat fun?

Will MM admit some of his missteps or will he continue onward with his blind faith/arrogance/stubborness/

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will Ross survive?

Do they have the stones to let Lovat go finally after the 8th hamstring injury of the season?

Will they lose this week 17 with home field advantage, soft, lets be safe and precautious attitude?

Will Burnett finally be allowed to participate in a game going forward?

What will the new secondary look like with Burnett and hopefully Casey back? Will Tramon be seeing more time on the bench?

Now that Franklin has shown the "lightening" will it alter the running game plan?

Will they address the awful blocking and decision making of EDS? More times that no he is standing around or giving help to a guy who doesn't need help. Figure out the line calls already!!!

Will Aaron relax a little bit and remember that this is supposed to be somewhat fun?

Will MM admit some of his missteps or will he continue onward with his blind faith/arrogance/stubborness/

I think we'll see a much more balanced offense to start games out, maybe even 50/50 run pass. Our O-line was bad yesterday but it looked much better once we started emphasizing the run. I think a lot of the arrogance is on Aaron Rodgers who always seems to want to go deep and always wants the ball at the expense of the run game. I suspect some of his arguments with MM on the sideline had to do with Aaron checking out of run plays.

With the O-line, it is what it is. God willing Sherrod finally makes a return and can challenge at least one of our tackles for starting time. Perhaps he could be an instant upgrade over Barclay and might even be able to slide to the left side once he gets up to full playing speed. The difference between Sherrod and Bak/bar, yesterday wouldn't have been a physical mismatch for Sherrod.

12theTruth

The defense took another jump from Weeks 1 and 2 to their performance in Week 3. It will only improve with a restored Matthews and the return of the two missing starters in the secondary.

They pressured Dalton early but without Matthews the pressure disappeared it seems. Capers has to make some type of adjustment to generate pass rush in Week 3 should Matthews not be in the game at certain points.

Will Rodgers accept a change in philosophy to the game plan with the recent success of the running attack? Will WR's become disgruntled with less throws than they are accustomed to?

MM and McCarthy need to play to overall strengths and cater the play calling to feature the run if necessary and Rodgers needs to sacrifice personal glory for the betterment of the team as this season progresses. He has to do this because of our sorry *** state of the offensive line. This will especially come into play against the more elite defenses of the league.

There are some VERY good pieces in place is Mike McCarthy smart enough to utilize them via game planning and play calling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Razoul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, what I would like to see change is AR come to the line of scrimmage with fire in his eyes like Payton Manning does. Payton surveys the defense and if necessary changes the play to reflect the defenses alignment.
I personally don't care for MM calling the plays so if AR got more aggressive in changing the play and making things happen while also pissing off MM that would be cool with me. The QB can get a feel for the D better than a coach on the sidelines IMO.
Get the job done!!!!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things to look forward to,

QB: Aaron Rodgers as more of a game manager, needs to play smarter with the lead. He killed two drive with deep balls when he just needed to move the sticks and had first down options available. I also think he checks out of too many run plays and needs to learn how the run not only sets up deep balls but even his own protection.

OL: Should look better as I expect the Offense to come out of the gates with a more balanced attack moving into the future. They looked better once we started running the football.

RBs: Im excited to the Lacy/Franklin combo, thunder and lightening. Expect to see more carries with this group in future games.

WRs: I actually think this is the best group we've had even if our 4th and 5th options aren't nearly as good as what we had in 10 and 11. Our top 3 has been much much more consistent. Unlike the old YAC crew we don't see them dropping routine passes anymore. No changes here.

TE: With Finley out our depth showed up and played alright. Quarless is still finding his feet and had a big drop but he was decent out there. Taylor run blocks well and shows some pass catching ability. Don't be surprised to start seeing 2 tight end sets with Cobb as the wildcard.

DL: A good unit, the best Ive seen in a while. Daniels is a stud, Wilson Picket Raji and Jolly are stout. Datone Jones is raw but he's a born playmaker. No changes needed here.

ILB: Jones and Hawk have turned into a good combination, expect Jones to continue to improve his game. No changes here.

OLB: Matthews is obviously a beast, Perry and Neal are strong physical and look better in coverage than expected. Neither is playing up to their ability and both have plenty of room to grow. Would like to see Capers move Matthews around more, I want to see him in a pure LT role, roaming around the Defense.

Secondary: Jerron McMillan is still a work in progress and MD Jennings lacks pop as an SS, he looks like more of a free Safety. Not too much needed here in terms of adjustments.

Overall: I think this team needs to just get healthier and get into the softer part of it's schedule. We have a lot of players who should get better and a lot of component parts that should start to work better.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offensive line, except for the amazing run at the end of 2010 where Rogers was brilliant, has been a mess since MM took over. I don't expect much to change if the coaching remains the same. Still, if we don't fumble and throw the ball to the other team we win yesterday easily. We're good enough to win it all if we don't make those type of mistakes, in spite of a below average group trying to protect the best QB in the game.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
I am sure they will do these.

I don't expect any substantive changes either. We'll make the playoff though. 10 years from now,fans will still be posting on message board about how two HOF QBs were only able to win one superbowl each and why the team didn't do more to put more talent around them

12theTruth

I don't expect any substantive changes either. We'll make the playoff though. 10 years from now,fans will still be posting on message board about how two HOF QBs were only able to win one superbowl each and why the team didn't do more to put more talent around them

The Packers have an above average to very good GM at the moment. Matthews, Rodgers, Finley, Greg Jennings, etc. To say otherwise would be foolish. We really need to make better organizational decisions on strength and training though. Thompson had been of a lesser nature in regards to drafting RB's but he finally came around and drafted Lacy and Franklin, two GREAT talents. Its up to Mike McCarthy now. That kind of worries me though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM deserves heat for some of the play calls but from what I saw, it was apparent that Rodgers' decisions, either to check to a different play or go for the more aggressive play, left quite a bit out on the field. Hopefully the bye week will allow our running game and Finley to get healthy. Not sure if it was just coincidence but once Finley left, Cobb had little to no room in the center of the field and our passing game suffered.

OP
OP
7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure hope MM doesn't do his typical "nothing is wrong, we are staying the course" company line bs this week.

I think this is a critical point in his tenure. This has to be as close to losing the locker room as he is going to get (post brett era). While this may sound absurd there are many things to consider. His fight with Rodgers looks bad to the rest of the team. If their leader is questioning his play calling then they all can question the play calling. That scene could do some real damage. The Jennings and Driver comments still happened and I think J Fin is right there with them but is being nice as its his contract year....but he could influence some guys with his words privately. Holding Clay out to preserve him for 2 weeks from now will irritate some of the locker room. The guys have also been getting a ton of second opinions on injuries which shows they question the medical staff. The hamstring thing is going to make them question the strength coaches and their plan. Teammates looked very pissed off at Ross yesterday and I am sure they are questioning him being the returner. I think Quarless was letting him have it after that fumble.

MM CAN NOT let these things fester and grow into a full blown problem.

I think Cutting Ross, fining rodgers internally for his display with MM and firing Lovat and letting his assistant run the program for the rest of the season (which he can absolutely do) should help strengthen things. Clean house with the entire medical staff top to bottom after the season.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
My Bye week adjustment is that I am taking a break from this Forum for awhile.

Week in and week out all I hear on this forum is Bit*h, Bit*h, Bit*h. It doesn't matter which way the game goes, there is nothing but negativity and second guessing everything. I don't know if it is the age of most posters or if you guys are just spoiled by over 20 years of having great QB's and teams. I don't know if it's Madden and Fantasy or if you just do not appreciate football for what it is.

There is no such thing as perfection in the NFL, there never has been and there never will be. It is a game of human confrontation. Human being the key word. Humans are not perfect and make mistakes. Sometimes the ball bounces your way and sometimes it doesn't, no matter how good a team you are.

The Packers have been one of the best teams in football consistently for the last 5 years under TT and MM's administration. We have won the Superbowl and two Division titles in the last 3 years. We have retooled with a lot of young talented players that are developing and we will be a force for many years to come.

I thought yesterdays game was a good game. I was on the edge of my seat for the whole game. I was not happy about the final result and I had many moments of frustration but I look at the big picture here.

We were playing against an AFC contender. We were missing two of our best secondary players and our best special teams player and our pounder running back. We lost our big threat tight end immediately. We lost our running back. We lost our best defensive player. With all that talent sidelined,we still could have and should have won that game. The positives are we found out that one of our draft picks is who we thought he could be. Our YOUNG, offensive line got more steeling and experience against yet another good D line. They are only going to improve as the season goes on. I believe this is going to be a solid line come December and January as they gel. WE HAVE A CREDIBLE RUNNING GAME for the first time in several years which again is going to pay dividends come December and January.

As it turns out this bye week couldn't have come at a better time. Hopefully we will be healthy and focused and go on a tear for the rest of the season. We are going to be playing some tough opponents and I don't think we will win every game but in the end we will be in the playoffs and we will be a better team than we have been in several years, Superbowl year included.

There is so much to look forward to. maybe I'll hop back on come February after we win the Superbowl and everyone is happy. I know this news must be heartbreaking news but remember, time heals all wounds.

Enjoy the season, it only lasts until February.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so time to vent.... Here are the problems I saw on Sunday.

Ross - The part that gets me about this is McCarthy and his whole "Put the best players to win the game out there." Ross isn't the best kick returner. Possibly not even top three. Lacy fumbles week 1 and sits a quarter as timeout for messing up. Ross messed up at least 5 times this year with seemingly no consequences when we have better players to replace him... Why? Loyalty? Or the fact McCarthy is too much of a big guy to admit he made a mistake? Get Cobb back there. Its what he does best and can definitely be a game changer. Yes its more of a risk, but your a pro-football team stop playing with your tutu on. Put the best players out there for EVERY play.

Rodgers - Played like garbage... gave him a running game, gave him the ball with plenty of time to get a signature win and he failed miserably. Now I am not upset he had a bad game. Or that he failed on the last drive. Everyone does from time to time... But there was a specific roll out play near the endzone when he didn't throw the ball because he thought he could do better. Ended up one a yard short... That right there was the difference in the game. If he doesn't trust to throw (I believe it was) Ross the ball, then don't put Ross in the game. That was a prima donna move that a team cannot have. And Aikman can say what he wants on the interception to Jones, and I agree he shouldnt have quit on his route.... But Rodgers should have never thrown that pass, it was well covered and just a poor decision, and his second interception considering the time and circumstances is completely uncalled for. It was something the highest paid player in the NFL cant do. Not to mention his OMG I may get hit here soon so im going to lay on the ground play that resulted in a huge sack. He needs to take more responsibility for his actions. In the end Rodgers made as many if not more mistake than anyone else, and even after all that he had his chance to win, and fell on his face.

Injuries - Been stated over and over again... People can argue all they want but this is a year in, year out problem. That makes what Dejaun Harris, Burnett, Lacy, Hayward, Starks, Matthews, Bulaga, Kuhn, Worthy... And those are just the players whom I would have expected to make some contribution to the game. Not to mention those who I didn't bother to add because they are backups. That's 9 people... How many teams can play at top notch with 9 starters or rotating people out of a line-up. Injuries are to be expected, but not like this.

Play calling - Just to make it clear, I didn't mind going for it on 4th and 1.... What I do have a problem with is trying a play that take 2 seconds to materialize against possibly the best front line in football... Running at their strength with our weakness was dumb in general. It was a bad call. QB sneak or rollout would have been much better call in that case.

D

Dan115

I sure hope MM doesn't do his typical "nothing is wrong, we are staying the course" company line bs this week.

I think this is a critical point in his tenure. This has to be as close to losing the locker room as he is going to get (post brett era). While this may sound absurd there are many things to consider. His fight with Rodgers looks bad to the rest of the team. If their leader is questioning his play calling then they all can question the play calling. That scene could do some real damage. The Jennings and Driver comments still happened and I think J Fin is right there with them but is being nice as its his contract year....but he could influence some guys with his words privately. Holding Clay out to preserve him for 2 weeks from now will irritate some of the locker room. The guys have also been getting a ton of second opinions on injuries which shows they question the medical staff. The hamstring thing is going to make them question the strength coaches and their plan. Teammates looked very pissed off at Ross yesterday and I am sure they are questioning him being the returner. I think Quarless was letting him have it after that fumble.

MM CAN NOT let these things fester and grow into a full blown problem.

I think Cutting Ross, fining rodgers internally for his display with MM and firing Lovat and letting his assistant run the program for the rest of the season (which he can absolutely do) should help strengthen things. Clean house with the entire medical staff top to bottom after the season.

Go to the top Fire Murphy.

12theTruth

My Bye week adjustment is that I am taking a break from this Forum for awhile.

Week in and week out all I hear on this forum is Bit*h, Bit*h, Bit*h. It doesn't matter which way the game goes, there is nothing but negativity and second guessing everything. I don't know if it is the age of most posters or if you guys are just spoiled by over 20 years of having great QB's and teams. I don't know if it's Madden and Fantasy or if you just do not appreciate football for what it is.

There is no such thing as perfection in the NFL, there never has been and there never will be. It is a game of human confrontation. Human being the key word. Humans are not perfect and make mistakes. Sometimes the ball bounces your way and sometimes it doesn't, no matter how good a team you are.

The Packers have been one of the best teams in football consistently for the last 5 years under TT and MM's administration. We have won the Superbowl and two Division titles in the last 3 years. We have retooled with a lot of young talented players that are developing and we will be a force for many years to come.

I thought yesterdays game was a good game. I was on the edge of my seat for the whole game. I was not happy about the final result and I had many moments of frustration but I look at the big picture here.

We were playing against an AFC contender. We were missing two of our best secondary players and our best special teams player and our pounder running back. We lost our big threat tight end immediately. We lost our running back. We lost our best defensive player. With all that talent sidelined,we still could have and should have won that game. The positives are we found out that one of our draft picks is who we thought he could be. Our YOUNG, offensive line got more steeling and experience against yet another good D line. They are only going to improve as the season goes on. I believe this is going to be a solid line come December and January as they gel. WE HAVE A CREDIBLE RUNNING GAME for the first time in several years which again is going to pay dividends come December and January.

As it turns out this bye week couldn't have come at a better time. Hopefully we will be healthy and focused and go on a tear for the rest of the season. We are going to be playing some tough opponents and I don't think we will win every game but in the end we will be in the playoffs and we will be a better team than we have been in several years, Superbowl year included.

There is so much to look forward to. maybe I'll hop back on come February after we win the Superbowl and everyone is happy. I know this news must be heartbreaking news but remember, time heals all wounds.

Enjoy the season, it only lasts until February.

What do you want from Packer fans? Perfection. Its discussion. Maybe the fans would be happier if the Packers weren't a losing team at 1-2 right now or if the head coach didn't help the matters with his questionable play calling. If you would read through the posts many good things are being said too. If you want a happier forum, post a topic and I'm sure you'll get plenty to join and focus more on the positive elements many of which have also been mentioned.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So what is this ^^. Is this a positive spin?

The Packers made the 49ers look like a super bowl contender... Since that point the 49ers have been outscored 56-10.... There only win is against a team that is now 0-3 while playing them at home, with maybe the worst defensive backfield in the NFL.

The Packers just are not very good right now. There are a lot of negatives to be seen. Living blindly to that doesn't make you a "better" fan. Just one content with mediocrity.

12theTruth

It'd be great if people that would rank posts old would explain their thinking. I rate Dan115's post old because his tired and lame retort to go to the top and fire Mark Murphy is old, oft repeated, and just lacks originality. Or add to it sarcastic quipps to just fire this person and fire that person. It'd be great if those that spend half their time on these forums trolling others would provide the same courtesy. Ha!

D

Dan115

ok the sky is falling. The Packers suck. Can not tackle, hammy's hammy's WTF??? Can not hold on to the ball!! Throw picks!! Life is terrible.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Ok so time to vent.... Here are the problems I saw on Sunday.

Ross - The part that gets me about this is McCarthy and his whole "Put the best players to win the game out there." Ross isn't the best kick returner. Possibly not even top three. Lacy fumbles week 1 and sits a quarter as timeout for messing up. Ross messed up at least 5 times this year with seemingly no consequences when we have better players to replace him... Why? Loyalty? Or the fact McCarthy is too much of a big guy to admit he made a mistake? Get Cobb back there. Its what he does best and can definitely be a game changer. Yes its more of a risk, but your a pro-football team stop playing with your tutu on. Put the best players out there for EVERY play.

Rodgers - Played like garbage... gave him a running game, gave him the ball with plenty of time to get a signature win and he failed miserably. Now I am not upset he had a bad game. Or that he failed on the last drive. Everyone does from time to time... But there was a specific roll out play near the endzone when he didn't throw the ball because he thought he could do better. Ended up one a yard short... That right there was the difference in the game. If he doesn't trust to throw (I believe it was) Ross the ball, then don't put Ross in the game. That was a prima donna move that a team cannot have. And Aikman can say what he wants on the interception to Jones, and I agree he shouldnt have quit on his route.... But Rodgers should have never thrown that pass, it was well covered and just a poor decision, and his second interception considering the time and circumstances is completely uncalled for. It was something the highest paid player in the NFL cant do. Not to mention his OMG I may get hit here soon so im going to lay on the ground play that resulted in a huge sack. He needs to take more responsibility for his actions. In the end Rodgers made as many if not more mistake than anyone else, and even after all that he had his chance to win, and fell on his face.

Injuries - Been stated over and over again... People can argue all they want but this is a year in, year out problem. That makes what Dejaun Harris, Burnett, Lacy, Hayward, Starks, Matthews, Bulaga, Kuhn, Worthy... And those are just the players whom I would have expected to make some contribution to the game. Not to mention those who I didn't bother to add because they are backups. That's 9 people... How many teams can play at top notch with 9 starters or rotating people out of a line-up. Injuries are to be expected, but not like this.

Play calling - Just to make it clear, I didn't mind going for it on 4th and 1.... What I do have a problem with is trying a play that take 2 seconds to materialize against possibly the best front line in football... Running at their strength with our weakness was dumb in general. It was a bad call. QB sneak or rollout would have been much better call in that case.

Cobb is actually "playing injured". That arm injury in preseason is still nagging him and he wont or will not be returning kicks or punts any time soon. We are on thin ice with him playing as it is, but we need him as a WR moreso that a KR/PR. We have other speedy/crafty/hands capable guys on the bench that could EASILY do a better job than Ross. Hell, even when Ross does catch the damn ball be rarely gets yardage.

OP
OP
7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb returned at least 1 punt yesterday. I think it was a fair catch or out of bounds but he was the one back there during one of them.

Members online

Latest posts