1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Butler and church disagree over tweets

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by ivo610, May 1, 2013.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    I have not seen any concrete proof that homosexuality is a "sin". In fact I have seen more evidence from Catholic theology that contradicts that hypocritical interpretation.

To the point and to be very blunt I think it is a shameful stance that many Catholics take in regard to homosexuality. Hiding behind a God whose foundation is established on love and tolerance while preaching hate and intolerance it an embarrassment to ones religion and the God they worship and ultimately a perversion of the representation of that God.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495
    I made no reference to Egypt or any other country for that matter which is experiencing violence among rival religious groups. I wasexclusively talking about the US. If you seriously think that Tebow being mocked (for being a crappy qb btw and the media hype his fans generated) is even remotely close to people beating the sh1t out of gays on the street of THIS country then I can just assumeyou don't have any gay friends or family.

Again, feeling bad that your religion doesn't hold the same sway it once did isn't persecution and in this country no one is going to beat you for it. Besides If tax breaks and influence over public policy is persecution then sign me up!

And I'm not talking about giving Collins a pass because of what happened 100 years ago (BTW, Google gay bashing incidents and you will find many very recent episodes) i'm talking about Collins coming outpublicly to draw attention to a situation, not himself personally.

3. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    I need some clarification here on this part. Are you equating people picking on Christians today in the US with what black people faced 100 years ago?

And there was no pass given to Collins due to his race or anything else because I don't think he did anything wrong in the first place.

4. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sure, but I didn't ask a single thing about you. I simply asked if you possessed a particular point of knowledge. In reality, it was tongue-in-cheek and I figured you'd recognize that.

5. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Collins hasn't been beaten up in the media. He's been praised almost 100%. Only Mike Wallace of the Steelers has had any guts to question the guy.
    Tebow gets ripped by everyone in the media.
    Tebow gets ripped by fans. Other players. Publicly.
    Collins does not.
    Even Elen Degeneres does not, Rosie O'Donnell, etc.
    Tebow does.

It's fine & dandy to mock Tebow praying. Perfectly fine in America.
    You have no problem with it. Neither does SNL.

But try making fun in the media about gays, blacks, Jews, or Muslims. Especially Muslims. Make similar jokes about Muslims (you know, the religion of the Boston bombers, and the 9-11 bombers, and the London, Madrid, Bali, Ft Hood right here in Texas, bombers & shooters). Go ahead, try and make public jokes about Islam or any famous Muslim, similar to what are done about Tebow praying, or worshiping, or doing his Christian stuff.

I'm not talking about him or gays on the street being beaten up or shot.

1) nope. Today is today, not 100 years ago. Gays piss blacks off all the time when they try to equate their "struggle" to that of the plight blacks faced 100, 200 years ago.
    Today, both are protected as special.
    Both have extra rights white males do not have. There's no arguing this as it is fact. You CAN argue the WHY or IS it really necessary.... that's another topic.

2) What bothers me about the Tweet that Collins put out is that he listed a few adjectives to describe himself, including gay. But he chose to put in black, and not American. I find that troubling. But I don't find it surprising. Nor do I that many can't see it.

6. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    As PFT pointed out tonight, Lombardi had no confusion over the subject. Never used the bible to excuse bigotry. He was 100% ok with having gay players on his team and his family. He made it clear they had his support. He was yet again ahead of his time.

7. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    Tebow gets ripped in the media for his legions of adoring fans who fail to see his flaws. I actually feel bad for the guy because those same fans plus his marginal skills as a QB have pretty much set him up to fail. No one will want to sign him and attempt to develop a proper delivery if it means dealing with the circus. The media out of laziness ran with it for some cheap ratings as they always do.

I AM talking about gays being beat up and shot which is my whole point. The post that got me into this was calling Collins an attention whore while taking the singular event of his coming out completely out of the larger context. I felt he was trying to draw attention to the larger issue, which includes gay bashing, by using his celebrity.

8. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    And as far as minority groups getting all sorts of preferential treatment Louis CK explains it in a far more entertaining way that I ever could. Stick with it, even if you don't agree it's still funny.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You do realize that Catholicism is not the end-all and be-all of Christianity, right?

10. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. - 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. - 2 Timothy 4:1-2

11. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    And where, exactly, is this happening on a regular basis, aside from Muslim countries? (Oops!)

12. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    I find it highly amusing you are making up your own translations. Good sign of extremism isn't it?

13. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    What's it feel like to be on the same side as the westboro baptist church?

I'll tell ya it feels pretty good to be on the side of Lombardi.

14. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,044

Think of only three things: your God, your family and the Green Bay Packers-in that order.

- Vince Lombardi
    http://famousquotesandauthors.com/authors/vince_lombardi_quotes.html
    Note he doesn't say the Christian God or any other specific religion. If you pray at a bush, a temple, or a mosque, it is all the same to him.

15. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    You people amaze me, really.
    Everyone has a right to marriage, even under 18 years of age.

But it's to someone of the opposite sex, which is natural and normal enough that even a 3-year old can comprehend this.

16. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    Google minnesota gay teen suicides.

And yes, Muslim countries are some of the worst offenders. I'd prefer America not have a lot in common with some of those countries.

17. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    Wait... You don't think homosexuality is natural?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    And homosexulaity has been documented in other species and has been historically documented in humans basically forever. There are a million and one scientific studies showing It's a small and naturally occuring variation in a lot of species that poses absolutely no threat yet you'd think the sky was falling somtimes if two dudes hold hands. Or two ugly women. But if its hot chicks then its seemingly ok.

19. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983
    Guess things cant be civil

20. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,983
    Now open again

21. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I would think most sports fans turn to SI and ESPN for game analysis, player game availability, box scores and so forth. Surely not a political debate or polarizing social issue. The sports media needs to get out of the business of "championing" social causes. For instance seeing ESPN suggest Vince Lombardi a "champion" for gay rights is far from fact.

22. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,983
    http://www.outsports.com/2012/6/19/4053258/gays-in-the-nfl-vince-lombardi-would-be-fine-with-it

23. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If Vince REALLY championed gay rights, he would have used his speaking engagements around the country to bring light to this cause. I think its a stretch to claim Lombardi was a champion for gay rights.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,983
    How many speakers were being PAID to support gay rights?

All we have is that he didnt show biased towards anyone..

He treated everyone equally

25. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Did he advocate for gay marriage?