1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Butler and church disagree over tweets

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by ivo610, May 1, 2013.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Well what did he say?
    He said the cover of Sports Illustrated.
    I've been getting SI since the 1970's, and the covers are huge. I remember Favre's first cover.
    I remember Marino, Gretzky, Jordan's first cover.

I don't remember seeing any gay or lesbian political propaganda on a cover before, nor a straight person on the cover proclaiming anything about being normal. It's SPORTS Illustrated. SPORTS.

The weeks leading up to the SI Swimsuit issue, SI notifies us to contact them if we choose to not receive that particular issue. They didn't on this one and they should have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,975
    The cancel your subscription

Only way they get the message

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    Every week players talk about their personal life, how is his considered "propaganda"?

You should complain every time they mention a quick blurb about a famous player dating someone.

Is Lolo jones story propaganda too?

4. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    1,000% Agree

5. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Seriously? You have a problem with proper English? What phrase would you have chosen? Would it make you feel better if I had eschewed the use of the word "these?" Good grief.

6. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No, we're not. Instead we're moving toward a society that increasingly views it as acceptable to denigrate people based on their religious beliefs when those beliefs don't conform to what is deemed "politically correct." In reality, "political correctness" is a euphemism for thought control. The underlying message is, "Conform or be ostracized." and it's a dangerous path. "Tolerance" is preached until we're talking about someone who refuses to conform.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,975
    Do you call African Americans, Chinese, Germans, Cubans, Mexicans or Italians "these" or "those" people?

8. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,373
    Did you actually miss my point or are you being disingenuous?

What phrase would I use? Your meaning might best be conveyed by "uppity gays and their bleeding heart fellow travelers". Does that work for you?

9. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Tim Tebow is mocked, ripped, ridiculed, OPENLY all over the television world despite being the nicest person in sports, despite doing more good for people than almost any other athlete, all because he is a great Christian.

For you atheists, Christian-haters, here's the list of outspoken Christians on the Packers, that I am aware of:
    Rodgers, Alex Green, Johnathan Franklin, Eddie Lacy, Randall Cobb, James Jones, Tramon Williams, Dezman Moses, Datone Jones, Mike Neal, CJ Wilson, Davon House...... you don't like Christians, you better remember those are your guys. Stop your hate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,975
    No he gets ripped cuz he isnt a good q/b

And I edited your post..Please do not use those words again when referring to Collins..One and only warning..

11. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,373
    I mock, rip and ridicule Tebow because he is one of the worst passers I have seen in my over 50 years of watching NFL football. It's not just that he has the mechanics of a girl and throws end-over-end...it's that he seems to make no effort at improving which is what I find particularly galling. The game is supposed to change for him, I suppose? Nice work if you can get it, but it's just not happening.

12. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,975
    I may lock this thread..

People can not have a civil discussion...

13. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    People making fun of tebow for sucking in the nfl despite his following n draft status isn't making fun of his religion.

I have never heard anyone rip his beliefs from a main stream source.

Tebow might be one of the least popular players in the league, but that has absolutely nothing to do with his belief in a guy that sits on a cloud in the sky.

14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    If butler made a pro gun comment and then was bumped from a speaking engagement, the far right would be in an uproar.

Using religion to disguise bigotry is still bigotry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That would be a gross mischaracterization on your part. I said, "these people" and immediately specified a very specific group in the very next phrase, WHO PUBLICLY PROCLAIM that they happen to be gay. I wasn't talking about gays in general. I was talking about the ones who use their bedroom to gain publicity.

Creating an issue where none exists is disingenuous at best. You should know better.

16. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You do know that the "far right" isn't the only group of people who own guns, right?

17. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sure, if we're talking about a specific group that is engaging in deviant behavior. In this case, the deviant behavior I'm talking about isn't Jason Collins being gay. It's about him being an attention whore.

18. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495
    So religious people don't like being treated even a tiny bit as badly as they've historically treated other people?

For a long time not believing was "politically incorrect" and those of faith didn't always behave too well in those circumstances. And being black and gay most certainly would have earned a guy like Collins several beatings, or worse, just a few short years ago. Which is why him being public is more about setting an example for people who are struggling with the same issue than it is about him being an attention hog.

Christians as a group haven't had to deal with that. And feeling bad about people not agreeing with a particular faith is a far cry from it IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    I don't consider myself far right

20. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Come on, you know better than that.
    There are a lot lot lot worse QBs than him.
    Look at Vince Young, another running QB who can't throw. He was also a Heisman winning, NCAA championship QB, taken higher in Rd 1. Very similar story.
    He's been cut a bunch of times... he was never ever crucified like Tebow has been, ripped all over the ESPN circuit, local radio, Jay Leno, Conan, Letterman, etc.. Making fun of Tim kneeling in prayer. That was uncalled for.

Brady Quinn, Matt Leinart, etc... these former glamour boys have done less than Tebow has. Tebow wasn't ripped for just being a bad QB. There have been way worse. Was Matt Cassell, Kevin Kolb all over the national rip circuit?
    You know darn well why they go after Tebow.

21. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Really?
    You give Collins a pass because 100 years ago, his people were mistreated because of his race, but today they are a protected group as much as handicapped are, with special organizations, months, channels, awards, scholarships, etc. but you say Christians don't deal with anything today?

How is being murdered, raped, attacked, just for being Christian?
    Is that worse than being denied the right to marry someone of the same gender? Umm, I'd say so.

Just because Americans as a whole are more spoiled than any other country, doesn't mean Christians "as a group" haven't had to deal with this or that".
    Again, it's hilarious for people to mock Tebow, Tebowing, etc. They target him only because he's a great Christian. Even when he was winning games for Denver, a playoff game, he was always being mocked.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/opin...gypt+part+broader+cultural/8308022/story.html
    Attacks on Christians in Egypt are part of a broader cultural war
    Muslims Slaughter 50 Christians in Easter Attack

22. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Who said you did?

23. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It's actually far simpler than that. Just look at the media. If you say ANYTHING negative about Jews or Muslims, you're a bigot. But Christians are fair game. You can say anything derogatory you want about Christians and nobody cares either way. In some mainstream outlets it will even gain you praise.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    You asked about the far right and gun ownership. My response was my way of saying I own guns. I thought it was pretty straight forward.

25. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    Tebow has tebow mania. Thus the insults. Nothing to do with his faith. Also he plays the media for more attention than any of those other guys.