1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

Butler and church disagree over tweets

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by ivo610, May 1, 2013.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,047
  2. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,926
    Thank God and our founders, Butler's right to speak his mind as well has the church's (and its members') right to believe homosexuality is a sin (something not to be congratulated) is protected by the First Amendment. (If I were a member of that church I would hope its leadership is as vigilant regarding all that is categorized as sin in the Bible.)

I do find it ridiculous of Butler to equate canceling his appearance to "bullying". The appearance was a contractual agreement. The church put forth a course of action by which Butler could "cure" what the church viewed as an error on his part. Butler refuses to do so. No harm, no foul IMO. However, that is easily distinguished from a teen bullied into committing suicide, for example.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

3. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +234
    I agree with the Church on this one... Not Butler.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Biting my tongue on this one. This should be in atrium.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,047
    Good for butler. I see a comparison between their dislike of homosexuality and bullying.

$8500 for an appearance? Not bad.

6. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,926
    That's fine but that's not what Butler said: "This is a form of bullying, what you're doing. You're trying to get me to do something I don't want to do..." He wasn't equating a dislike for homosexuality with bullying, he said he was being bullied.

7. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,047
    I wasn't disputing what he said. Nor did i misinterpret it. I was drawing my own comparisons.

8. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495

(If I were a member of that church I would hope its leadership is as vigilant regarding all that is categorized as sin in the Bible.)

I have yet to see a church that doesn't cherry pick the sins it's vigilant about. It was definitely the case in my church going youth.

That said they have no obligation to let him speak on their property unless it was in writing that he had to follow a code of conduct off church property. And IMO that would be a pretty lame clause that should have made him steer clear in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mayo44

mayo44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I see no reason to congratulate Jason Collins for anything. As far as I'm concerned, these people who public proclaim, "Hey! I'm gay! Look at me!" are nothing more than attention whores. Keep it in your bedroom where it belongs. For Butler to publicly "congratulate" him is equally attention-seeking.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  10. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +324
    Why on Earth is this church trying to spend its money like this, shouldn't they be feeding the hungry and clothing the naked?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,047
    I'm more curious as to why they aren't taxed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,047
    Straight players do it all the time. Does that annoy you too?

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    I'd agree if with the above sentiment except when was the last time anyone could mind their own business? People have been butting into each other's bedrooms forever and someone would have outed him eventually whether he wanted it or not.

And in an environment where people routinely get the sh1t kicked out of them for being gay maybe he thought he could try to push acceptance a little by being so public. Maybe the 2 gay kids I went to highschool with that tried to kill themselves might have had a little more hope if high profile people supported them the way LeRoy is supporting Collins.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,241
    I oppose clothing the naked. I like them just the way they are.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,241
    They're "these people" or "those people" until it's discovered there's one in the family.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Old Old x 1
  16. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Butler is alright in tweeting Collins and the church is alright with not agreeing with him. I have no issue with the story besides the media completely over-reporting it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,011
    Without knowing the details, he may have been speaking at a fundraiser where more than that is raised. I find no issues with what the church is doing. Large corporations do it all the time with the people they sponsor in racing, golf, or any other celebrity spokesperson. For this one event, that is what he is. If he wants their $upport, he has to agree at this time with their principles. A simple business decision. No one is guaranteed a free pass when they take a public stand on a controversial topic.

18. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,047
    I would be surprised if anywhere in the contract it has a clause for his soul. But hey it's a church, you never know.

19. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    This 10 times over. Seriously, not everyone is going to agree with every single issue. As long as they are respectful about it, I don't see an issue. Nothing to see here, let's move along.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,969
    :tdown:

21. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Really?
    Because today's Sports Illustrated was the first one I ever got where someone's sexuality was the cover story.
    All the time?

22. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,047
    I'm sure you have seen a sports illustrated issue with someone's girl or family in the article/pictures.

Or this
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367464599.074714.jpg

23. Darth Garfunkel

Ratings:
    +495
    If people left others alone to love who they want then Collins coming out wouldn't need to be an issue. Sadly we're not there as a society.

24. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Many of you know I'm a Lutheran pastor. I don't hide this fact, nor do i broadcast it. I have opinions on this matter, and also have some very personal and very difficult experiences. I typically don't wear my "pastor hat" here; and that is one of my very favorite things about this place. Still that is always who and what I am. If any of you have questions about church/faith stuff regarding this issue, please know that I'm happy visit with you via personal message.

• Like Like x 3
  25. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,969
    I think you "know" he meant straight players talking about their women, or pictured with their women. Or something close to that

I am pretty confident he didnt mean straight players going on a cover saying they are straight..