Bush safe, but Colledge could lose lineup spot

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071205/PKR01/712050551/1989

By Rob Demovsky
[email protected]

It looks like one of the lineup changes the Green Bay Packers made in Thursday's loss at Dallas will stick and one won't.

Cornerback Jarrett Bush looks like he will get his job back as the No. 3 cornerback in the nickel defense — and could even make his second straight start if Charles Woodson can't play Sunday against Oakland.

Left guard Daryn Colledge, who like Bush was benched during the Cowboys' game, might not be so fortunate. Though coach Mike McCarthy wouldn't make any definitive announcements about position changes on Tuesday, indications were the Packers will start the game against the Raiders the way they finished the Dallas game — with Jason Spitz at left guard and Junius Coston at right guard.

Coston got his first action against the Cowboys since he sustained a sprained ankle in practice on Oct. 11. He got the call in the second quarter after Colledge gave up a pressure that forced quarterback Brett Favre into an interception.

"I don't know exactly what's going to happen," Coston said. "They haven't told me anything, but I definitely feel like I have a good chance to start."

There also are questions at safety, where it appears the top three players — Atari Bigby, Nick Collins and Aaron Rouse — will be healthy for the first time since Week 9. Collins returned and started against the Cowboys after missing three games with a knee injury. Rouse, who started while Collins was injured, then missed Thursday's game with a knee injury. Neither Bigby nor Collins said they were aware of any changes at their positions this week.

"I'll just say this: we have a number of positions — a lot like the offensive line, a lot like the corners — where you have players that are very similar as far as where they are in their experience (and) what level they're playing at," Mike McCarthy said on Tuesday, the first day of practice since the 37-27 loss at Dallas. "So, we just want to keep it competitive."

Bush, who started in place of the injured Woodson (big toe), had his worst game of the season. He gave up two touchdown passes and committed a pass interference penalty — all before halftime.

First-year cornerback Tramon Williams replaced Bush in the base defense, and Frank Walker remained in the nickel. Bush never got back on the field.

On Tuesday, Bush said he was back in his spot in the nickel and if Woodson can't go this week, Bush said, "it seems like it's the same," meaning he would start.

Bush said the two mistakes he made on the touchdowns were "little things that young guys make. I know better. I've just got to correct them, and I can't let it happen again."

He said he shouldn't have stopped running on the 26-yard touchdown pass he gave up to Anthony Fasano. Instead, Bush stopped and tried to jump to knock the ball out of the air but instead whiffed. On the 3-yard touchdown catch he gave up to Patrick Crayton, Bush took his eyes off the receiver and got caught looking in the backfield at quarterback Tony Romo.

"I've just got to learn from my mistakes," Bush said.

Woodson tested his injured toe by doing some light running on Tuesday, but it wasn't known how he felt after the workout.

"We're going to be extremely cautious with Charles as we move forward," McCarthy said.

It's late in the year for a 10-2 team to be making significant lineup change, especially on the offensive line — a position where continuity is critical.

"Jason Spitz, Junius Coston, Daryn Colledge, they've all played their positions," McCarthy said. "These are competitions that have been going on for some time, and you need all your players down the stretch. I think it's a very healthy situation to have competitive situations at every position. Now we want the continuity, there's no doubt about that. But until we get the performance at the level we want, we'll keep it competitive."

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to say it, because I like Bigby... but Rouse and Collins should start. Bigby commits way too many boneheaded penalties.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to say it, because I like Bigby... but Rouse and Collins should start. Bigby commits way too many boneheaded penalties.

Has Collins really impressed you any more than Bigby. Collins doesn't take the stupid penalties, but he never seems to be around the ball or make any plays. I think the starters should, and will, be Rouse and Bigby.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MassPackersFan said:

Has Collins really impressed you any more than Bigby. Collins doesn't take the stupid penalties, but he never seems to be around the ball or make any plays. I think the starters should, and will, be Rouse and Bigby.

Not sold on either Collins or Bigby yet. However, Rouse should start. He gets INTs. INTs often change a game.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MassPackersFan said:

I've seen Collins jump on pass routes a handful of times this year, where it's a bad throw or batted down at the line. I honestly think he could have 3-4 picks at this point if some plays went his way. He has an explosive burst that can help him makes plays as well.
I know he's had a disappointing year so far, but I still think he's our best safety. The argument in my head is Rouse vs. Bigby.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our REAL problem, IMO, is at nickel. If the best hope we have there gave up 2 TDs last week, we're in big trouble in that spot. I can't help but wonder just how many TDs Bush must give up before he's parked on the bench. MM moved fast on Colledge, and rightfully so, but with every QB in the NFL throwing at Bush you wonder why he's made of teflon. I can only assume that every other CB we have is even worse. Now that's scary for our playoff hopes.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our REAL problem, IMO, is at nickel. If the best hope we have there gave up 2 TDs last week, we're in big trouble in that spot. I can't help but wonder just how many TDs Bush must give up before he's parked on the bench. MM moved fast on Colledge, and rightfully so, but with every QB in the NFL throwing at Bush you wonder why he's made of teflon. I can only assume that every other CB we have is even worse. Now that's scary for our playoff hopes.

Agreed. We'll be addressing this in the off season, I guarantee it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts