Bulaga Pay Cut

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, or where to put it. The Packers approached Bulaga about a pay cut.
He turned them down flat. If we go surprisingly early in the draft at OT, don't be surprised if Bulaga is gone shortly after.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, or where to put it. The Packers approached Bulaga about a pay cut.
He turned them down flat. If we go surprisingly early in the draft at OT, don't be surprised if Bulaga is gone shortly after.

At this point im not sure what's to be gained from cutting him. Even if you go Tackle early he's in the last year of his deal and will be back at some point this season and would either step back in as the starter or, if the rookie is lights out, at worst provide quality depth.

Unless you plan on going after a guy like Dez I just don't see what you'd need that cap for so badly that you'd let him go even if they go Oline early. Seems like it'd make a lot more sense to avoid the dead cap hit, let his contract expire and then get a comp pick when he leaves next year

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I saw the articles and I would think that if they find a suitable replacement for Bulaga, they will "Josh Sitton" him at the appropriate time.

There has to be legit concern as to when Bulaga will even be ready to play in 2018 and then how long will he stay healthy?

If the Packers have players currently on the team or can find a cheaper adequate replacement, I would be fine with seeing Bulaga gone. Solid player when healthy, but his salary and his availability makes him expendable in my eyes.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
At this point im not sure what's to be gained from cutting him. Even if you go Tackle early he's in the last year of his deal and will be back at some point this season and would either step back in as the starter or, if the rookie is lights out, at worst provide quality depth.

Unless you plan on going after a guy like Dez I just don't see what you'd need that cap for so badly that you'd let him go even if they go Oline early. Seems like it'd make a lot more sense to avoid the dead cap hit, let his contract expire and then get a comp pick when he leaves next year

Bulaga has 2 years left on his current deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The other important part of this to me is the information that the Packers approached him to take a paycut. I like this. It puts the player on notice that "you aren't as valuable to the team as what your contract states and if you won't take a pay cut, then this is your notice that you may not be in our long term plans.

Since Gute took over, this is the second time (Jordy), that I am aware of the team approaching a player about taking a pay cut. Maybe TT did it more often than we know about, but if need be, cut the deadwood.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you blame TT for this? Bulaga has been a solid guy for 8 years, with only his injuries holding him back.
He spent draft capital to move up in the second and select a bum, who was presumably going to be his replacement. All sorts of misses the past few years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He spent draft capital to move up in the second and select a bum, who was presumably going to be his replacement. All sorts of misses the past few years.
While I am one that questioned the move to get Spriggs, I guess I am not ready to declare him a bum yet. It was a move by TT to try and draft for the future at the Tackle position, whether it works out or not I would hardly call it a completely brainless move.

Bulaga has been around 8 years, players get old and need replacing, unfortunately no team has a Pro Bowl caliber guy waiting in the wings everytime that happens. Gute has plenty of time to fix the need at RT if Bulaga is on his way out.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
News flash folks...If I’m never Available at my job guess what? They fire me. Bulaga isn’t irreplaceable, and frankly he is overpaid. You get so use of the guy being hurt you forget the guy was originally drafted to replace Clifton at LT. I’m all for cutting him. He will probably get hurt walking into the facility.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
News flash folks...If I’m never Available at my job guess what? They fire me. Bulaga isn’t irreplaceable, and frankly he is overpaid. You get so use of the guy being hurt you forget the guy was originally drafted to replace Clifton at LT. I’m all for cutting him. He will probably get hurt walking into the facility.

Speaking of sleeping on the job, welcome back Rodell! I thought maybe you had left us and became a Browns fan!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree with this, too much change worries me. With that being said, we don’t know the status of his health as far as if he will be ready.

If the Prognosis on Bulaga is that he won't be back until 5 or 6 games in, I don't know why you would keep him, since his replacement would already be playing. Build your plan and depth between now and September and if Bulaga isn't need to do that, cut bait.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is the only GM who has ever missed on a player. Fact.

I mean...if there is one good thing anyone should be able to admit about TT, it is that he has always put together a decent offensive line through the draft and never let the oline eat up a ton of our cap.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Looks like they tried to renegotiate with Cobb too but nothing came of it.
Source? I saw plenty on Bulaga, but don't see anything about trying to do the same with Cobb.

While it would be great to get Cobb on a new contract, I wouldn't want to see him cut at this point. We are already too thin at WR as it is. I am sure he and his agent know this.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not understanding how you can cut a guy on IR without him being able to pass a physical and expect to not have some buyout clause activated.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Source? I saw plenty on Bulaga, but don't see anything about trying to do the same with Cobb.

While it would be great to get Cobb on a new contract, I wouldn't want to see him cut at this point. We are already too thin at WR as it is. I am sure he and his agent know this.

I couldnt see them cutting cobb at this point unless there was a trade for a wr at some point.

i seen it on the first article i read on the bulaga situation. ill try and find it later if i remember.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of sleeping on the job, welcome back Rodell! I thought maybe you had left us and became a Browns fan!

Haha good one. Actually I’ve been on the road with my 9 yr old son who’s playing tournament ball. He’s the #1 ranked 9 yr old in the state of Texas! Check out my highlight - http://www.hudl.com/v/2841d9

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I'd love to see him go for Earl Thomas, but I don't think that'd happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts