Buffalo -- official thread

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO the biggest factor in the game will be the Packers' OL. Of course Rodgers is vastly superior to Orton but if the OL plays like crap this game could like a lot like the Lions game when they controlled both the passing and running offense with six men in the box. We've read and heard the OL has improved from that point in the season, this game will provide evidence whether or not that's true. Because the Bills DL is so good the Packers OL will need one of their best performances. Rodgers > Orton but not if Rodgers spends too much time on his back.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers injury report:
Out: Jamari Lattimore, Davon House
Probable: Eddie Lacy, Josh Sitton, T.J. Lang, Bruce Gaston, Nick Perry

H

HardRightEdge

According to Football Outsiders it's no. 1 offense against no. 1 (adjusted DVOA) defense in the league. Buffalo has best pass defense in the league and the Packers with Rogers the best pass game in the league. If Buffalo has a weakness in pass defense, it's against the no. 2 receivers, where they rank 23rd. So this could be a big game for Cobb or Adams.

Our 18th ranked defense will be equal to Buffalo's 25th ranked offense.

If it comes down to passing, like most games in today's NFL, I'll take Rogers over Orton any day, week, year, or millennium.
That 23rd. rank against #2 receivers syncs with my observation that Corey Graham is the weak link among the starting 11. He's out there because McKelvin went IR.

H

HardRightEdge

Careful now, I've heard bad reports on these NorthEast fans. :laugh:
I wouldn't consider Buffalo the "northeast". It's 350 miles from the ocean. It has a lot more in common with Cleveland than NYC. While undergoing something of a renaissance building around the UB medical school and associated complexes, it is at heart a blue collar town.
Who's going to the game on Sunday? Will there be a large contingent of cheeseheads in Buffalo? How much beer will we get thrown at us?
I was at a Packer-Bills game some years back wearing Packer colors. No problems. Like just about anywhere else, if you confine yourself to cheering your team and refrain from taunting and other drunken nonsense you should be OK.

D

Deleted member 6794

That 23rd. rank against #2 receivers syncs with my observation that Corey Graham is the weak link among the starting 11. He's out there because McKelvin went IR.

Actually Graham has done a great job in coverage (allowing a combined 51.4 opponent's passer rating). Stephon Gilmore (104.0) and Nickell Robey (121.9) are their weak links in the secondary.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold up to their pass rush. Utilize slants, screens and the like which will slow down said rush and give them a steady dose of Ed Lacy and Jimmy Starks. Play defense like we did the month before the Falcons game. There you go folks. Keep it simple and keep on rolling. Next. GPG!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the biggest factor in the game will be the Packers' OL
Yes, but Rogers' ability to move helps them out tremendously. It appears Campen has molded this unit into the best since the unit at the end of 2010, and I believe they will come to play tomorrow.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually Graham has done a great job in coverage (allowing a combined 51.4 opponent's passer rating). Stephon Gilmore (104.0) and Nickell Robey (121.9) are their weak links in the secondary.
Gilmore usually draws the opponents #1 and often without help. He's a gambler and can be burned. As noted previously, he's not someone to be avoided. Graham is more likely to cover the #2 with top side help; if I see him in man without help I'm going after him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, but Rogers' ability to move helps them out tremendously. It appears Campen has molded this unit into the best since the unit at the end of 2010, and I believe they will come to play tomorrow.
Well I hope they hold off a day since they don't play tomorrow.;) Of course I hope you're right but how did the OL play against Detroit and how many points did Rodgers' ability to move lead to?

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider Buffalo the "northeast". It's 350 miles from the ocean. It has a lot more in common with Cleveland than NYC. While undergoing something of a renaissance building around the UB medical school and associated complexes, it is at heart a blue collar town.

I was at a Packer-Bills game some years back wearing Packer colors. No problems. Like just about anywhere else, if you confine yourself to cheering your team and refrain from taunting and other drunken nonsense you should be OK.

You keep saying that. Sorry, that's not true and there are countless Packer fans that could share their stories. There are NFL towns/fans that are not good with visiting teams.

H

HardRightEdge

Here's another minor note.
You keep saying that. Sorry, that's not true and there are countless Packer fans that could share their stories. There are NFL towns/fans that are not good with visiting teams.
I'll put it this way. There's always the chance you'll run into somebody spoiling for a fight. If it happens to you once, I could sympathize that it might be bad luck. If it happens to you twice then you might want to examine your own behavior.

If some drunk says something you don't like and you say something back, he might throw something at you. That could happen in Buffalo or at the family Thanksgiving gathering. ;)

Korben Dallas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi, noob here --
Honestly feel the Pack will come prepared for this game. Our defense will bounce back after taking the second half off last game, and the Bills D won't be able to match our fast paced high power offense. We will find a way to beat and exploit them.

This also all has to happen because I paid a lot for tickets to this game...

H

HardRightEdge

I don't how well Jackson will do running the ball given he's playing with a groin injury. They will go to him with swing passes and screens, and they will keep going back to them if they're working.

Jackson's receiving stats are telling.

His YAC (410) exceeds his receiving yards (377) by a decent margin; he has 53 catches on 55 targets which I expect is a league leading percent. These numbers indicate that they throw to him behind the line of scrimmage almost exclusively. If they can get him isolated on a LB on a swing pass, they'll take their chances.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see this one going as a low scoring game a turnover here or there could decide it.
17-13 who ever gets the turnovers will win.
I can't call it for anyone right now.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I hope they hold off a day since they don't play tomorrow.;) Of course I hope you're right but how did the OL play against Detroit and how many points did Rodgers' ability to move lead to?
Good point. Good football has always started with the line of scrimmage, but without Rogers would we be on the roll we currently are enjoying? And being a day off is nothing unusual for me these days...

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there's a trap on the Packers' schedule during this final quarter of the season this game is probably it. (Although there is a history of unpleasant surprises in Tampa, too. ) I'm not ready to R-E-L-A-X until these next two are in the books.

I expect this game to be similar to the one at Miami. The Bills defense, playing at home, will keep their team in it. But a win or upset loss will rest on the Packers' defensive unit. If they lapse into their bad old habits on fundamentals: missed tackles, blown assignments, miscommunications it could be a sad day for us fans.

With Eddie Lacy hurting I hope the Packers will work DuJuan Harris into their scheme. It will be better to hit this and other upcoming defenses with 4 backs instead of just one or two.

The Bills will doubtless work to take the run game out so they can tee off with their rush on Aaron Rodgers. Even if they succeed the Packers' pass protection and ARod's abilities to avoid the rush should be enough to strike for plays downfield.

We'll be hearing all weekend how the Packers score half as many points on the road as at Lambeau. I think they will get at least 24-27 and hold Buffalo to 17-20.

And, please, can we have no more blocked kicks!

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I really think the D had a little wake up call against Atlanta. I see the Pack coming out ready to play hitting on all cylinders.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Eddie Lacy hurting I hope the Packers will work DuJuan Harris into their scheme. It will be better to hit this and other upcoming defenses with 4 backs instead of just one or two.

I want the Packers running game to attack the Bills defense on the right side outside the tackles, an area Buffalo has had huge troubles defending. Surprisingly Lacy (as I just found out after looking it up) is doing a hreat job at it averaging more than 5 yards on 29 carries in that direction.

The Bills will doubtless work to take the run game out so they can tee off with their rush on Aaron Rodgers. Even if they succeed the Packers' pass protection and ARod's abilities to avoid the rush should be enough to strike for plays downfield.

The Bills are pretty good defending the deep ball mostly because QBs don't have a lot of time to throw the ball vs. their pass rush. I expect Cobb to be an important factor in this one as they have troubles against good slot receivers being able to catch short passes over the middle.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I agree with EmDiggy on this one. Bills defense will make enough stops to keep this one close including in the red zone limiting the Packers to FGs, but I don't think the Bills' offense is going to able to do enough. They'll keep Rodgers and the offense out of the end zone save for twice, but the Packers will do just enough to win a close one.

Packers 23
Bills 20

H

HardRightEdge

Since just about everything that matters about this game has already been said, I'll toss in a little human interest note.

This is a homecoming for Starks. He played HS ball in Niagara Falls (just north of Buffalo for the geographically challenged) where he was overshadowed by a couple of top ranked basketball prospects. He played college ball locally at the State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo, aka The University at Buffalo, aka Buffalo, aka UB, which was the only program to offer him a scholarship. (While evidently identity-challenged, UB is actually a decent state school academically and they play in the MAC Conference in case anybody was wondering.)

You never know if a guy is glad to be home or was glad to have gotten the h*ll out. In this case Starks says he's excited to be playing in front of family and friends. He might get a chance to impress the locals with Lacy gimped up some.

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/...starks-raises-his-game-not-his-voice-20141211

Last edited by a moderator:

Jereycheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just arrived in orchard park already a decent amount of green and yellow it's going to be a great game!!!!

Members online

Latest posts