Buffalo -- official thread

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not the end of the world if we drop this one. A top 2 seed should still be obtainable. Probably won't get HFA though and will be stuck rooting for the Cardinals to knock off the Seahawks in Week 16 so we don't have to go back to Seattle.

CanadianCheeze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who's going to the game on Sunday? Will there be a large contingent of cheeseheads in Buffalo? How much beer will we get thrown at us?

Jereycheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry didn't see the ones above! But ya, wheres the Visitors tailgating at??

Packers fans usually travel well or they are everywhere. Past few years I've been at metlife to see packers play the giants so many packer fans! I don't see it being any different in buffalo! But I am looking for a nice packer tailgate!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Saw a big car full of fans yesterday on freeway heading south..With how full it was, my guess is their were driving to buffalo

Reaction score
Just watched what Buffalo did to the Jets after a blizzard, change of venue and 3 days less practice than the Jets got. Add onto that, AT Buffalo with possible snow, winds blowing off Lake Erie, and I can easily see this being a loss, I will hope for a win, but this is a 'ok show me' game. We all have games we need the team to show us, this is mine for the year.
I'm with you on this one.. Somewhere in here I stated a bold prediction.. That this game is the most relevant game to our success later this year.. (actually I said a solid win here would get us to the Championship game) .
With Tampa and then the Lions at Lambeau to finish the regular season. a win here is huge
and add a Defensive game.. say 19 points or less.. enormous

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This certainly looks to be the biggest challenge to the Packers’ OL to date. Here’s a link to McGinn’s analysis of the Bills: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-next-opponent-bills-b99406395z1-285456971.html

To reinforce HRE’s excellent post, here’s what he writes about the Bills DL:
This might be the NFL's best unit. DT Marcell Dareus (6-3, 331), the third pick in '11, has his weight under control and couldn't be happier disrupting out of a one-gap system. Not only is Dareus brawny, he's also alert, fast (4.94) and athletic. He's a complete player and dominating force. DT Kyle Williams (6-1, 310), a fifth-round pick in '06, has been outstanding for a long time. He uses his strength, leverage and grit to occupy double-teams, disengage and make plays. He is no slug motoring laterally or rushing the passer, either. Former Texans LE Mario Williams (6-7, 292), the first pick in '06, is gifted like Julius Peppers. Eight years ago, his 40 time was 4.66, his vertical jump was 40½ and his bench press was 35. A functional run defender, Williams turns it up a notch on passing downs. RE Jerry Hughes (6-2, 254), a bust in Indianapolis as the 31st pick in '10, gives all-out effort crashing with 4.65 speed off the corner. He can dip and rip or bull rush, and takes care of the run, too. Hughes runs into trouble when his emotions get the best of him.
The Packers D better shake off that performance against the Falcons and come to play. The DL wasn’t alone in lackluster play but if Buffalo’s OGs are the weak point, the DL better step up. Here’s McGinn’s write-up of how the DL played against the Falcons:
…Packers' D-line was a major disappointment. After two straight strong rushing games, Mike Daniels settled for one hurry and it came against former Badger Gabe Carimi, who replaced injured RG Jon Asamoah late. Daniels hardly played in the first half (seven of his 35 snaps). During the Falcons' comeback, he blew containment on Ryan's 8-yard run. Letroy Guion (29) was no better than Daniels against run or pass. He got off to a poor start against Asamoah, was hammered on the goal line, jumped offside and dropped an interception on a pass that he batted into the air. Josh Boyd (23) didn't make anything happen, either. Datone Jones (30) didn't generate a pressure and was up-and-down at the point.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-falcons-b99405554z1-285318851.html

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
No doubt. Some of the local media bellyaching involves the Bills trading away their #1 pick in the next draft in order to pick Watkins thereby reducing their chances of getting a decent QB in the 2015 draft. The Bills rolled the dice with Manual and lost.

They're sitting at $122 mil cap for next season, with a few starters in their contract years...Hughes, Searcy, Pears, Spiller. Searcy is probably the only guy they'd be all that concerned about. Hughes had a great year, but the other 3 guys up front and the 2 young LBs are signed for next year, so the front 7 core is intact. They'll presumably be getting some good players back off IR...Alonzo, McKelvin.

The window is still open for them but it won't be there forever. They have some cap to roll the dice on another vet QB, though the odds on that guy being an answer are low as we all know.

It's been a pleasure watching this defense play this year. Watkins and Woods are nice players. They've got a decent O-Line. Jackson's a gamer.

As if we needed further illustration, the Bills are the poster child for what happens when you have the 52 pieces needed but lack a QB.

The KC was really a pivotal game for them. I picked KC and got a little lucky in that game. Buffalo dominated the LOS and gave the game away basically. They still haven't really recovered.

I think it will really come down to what Buffalo team shows up Sunday. We should beat them but they can definitely cause some problems.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Defense:

Everybody knows the front 4 can rush the passer. What they don't know is they also defend the run well. All 4 of the starters are having Pro Bowl seasons.

The weaknesses in this group are:

(1) Hughes can be a hot head. He's drawn 3 unsportsmanlike penalties this year and got benched in Denver for one.

(2) Manny Lawson who comes in at DE in rotation is susceptible to misdirection ("squirrel!") and thereby dreadful in holding the edge. Buffalo giving up a 10 point lead to KC in the 4th. quarter boiled down to Lawson blowing edge contain on two plays.

The stats show they've given up a fair amount of yards per carry in recent weeks. That's because they've been playing more and more nickel with 6 in the box with Brown and Bradham inside. Against Denver they ran nickel almost exclusively with the MLB Spikes on the bench until the 4th. quarter when Denver was trying to burn clock with the run. Still and all, excepting Thompson's 47 yd. run, they allowed a 3.1 yd. average on 28 carries which tells you something about the line and "B" backers against the run.

The plan worked to the extent that they broke Manning's 52 game TD pass streak and held him to his lowest single game QB rating in 6 years. Inexplicably, Spikes was sitting on the bench even when Denver had the ball near the goal line. They paid for it with Anderson scoring from 6, 1 and 3.

I suspect Manning has been having issues with feeling in his hand. Denver had gone heavy to the run game in the 2 weeks prior making Manning play game manager. He was wearing the glove on the throwing hand on a 60 degree day against the Bills. But that's a story for another day, except to say the "stop Manning is Jobs #1, #2 and #3 game plan" was probably overdone. Manning was not sacked; then again he was throwing quick all day in game manager mode and did not have much to show for it.

The secondary is decent. Aaron Williams is a solid all-around safety; Searcy is a ball hawk. Gilmore's a solid cover corner with ball skills but not somebody Rodgers would avoid. Graham is the weakest link in the starting 11, particularly susceptible to the double move. Little Nickell Roby (aptly named) plays in nickel when quickness is called for and in dime; Duke Williams plays in 3 safety nickel and dime and is a hitter.

In general, they don't do anything particularly fancy; they pretty much just line up and play. They like to blitz Bradham up the middle occasionally or a DB off the edge from time-to-time, but that's about it.

Lawson and Graham present match ups to attack. Rodgers can probably get Searcy out of position with eye or pump fakes. When Spikes, a downhill smash mouth MLB, plays (if he plays) the middle can be exploited with play fakes but you won't have much luck running between the guards. But if Buffalo played nickel against Manning all day with success I don't know why they wouldn't take the same approach with Rodgers.

In general, these guys play hard every series with seeming disregard for the scoreboard, they pursue every play, and they're all solid tacklers.

Perhaps the worst thing you might say about this defense is they have too d*mn many guys named Williams.

Offense:

Orton has not played as well as his stats. His arm strength is below the NFL average; he can't run; his mobility in the pocket is limited. If you get his feet moving his accuracy goes down. He wants to stand in and throw. He will throw into coverage from time to time. After early 4th. quarter success against DET and MIN, he's been poor in crunch time. With 1st. and 10 at KC's 15 with the game on the line, he threw 0-4, with three of those passes being dreadful. It should go down as the signature moment of futility in the Bills season. Still, he's a savvy guy, he doesn't let a pick get him down, and there's no quit in him...that can count for something on a given day.

A very good running back group is depleted by injury. Spiller's out with a shoulder. Jackson's playing with a groin...he's still got the glide but has lost some punch. They like to screen to Jackson...a lot. I don't know why they don't use Boobie Dixon more...he's a load with surprisingly quick feet. Bryce Brown has been unimpressive. It's not a good look for an offense designed for run-to-set-up-the-pass.

The receivers are a pretty decent group. The rookie Watkins has flashed regularly but he's been hobbled with a few nagging injuries (ribs, groin); he went to the sidelines after taking a shot late in the Denver game; it looked like he might have aggravated the ribs . Woods is a decent possession receiver; good hands, good routes, OK speed, nothing spectacular. Chandler is a decent short-to-intermediate throw TE who won't run away from anybody (except maybe Hawk :confused: )...more a block some/catch some old school TE. The #3 Hogan out of the slot has a just-a-guy look about him, but they call him "7-11" because he always seems to be open. This crew would look a lot better with some better QB play.

The O-Line is pretty good at both OTs and C; the Gs are a bit suspect.

Summary:

The Bills defense has the capability to keep the game close. Will they finally give up the ghost with their playoff hopes worn down to a thread? We'll see. The Orton offense is disfunctional enough and banged up enough to make it tough sledding for the Bills even against the Packers' less-than-stellar defense. I will say this...if Orton is not pressured and can just stand in he can move the ball.

In the end, the difference in the level of QB play between the two teams will be the difference...again. The O-Line now has the chance to prove what they can do. This is not Atlanta's front 4, and Rodgers wants to go down field always.

I couldn't hear. Could you repeat that please.

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eddie Lacy status is uncertain for Buffalo game with hip injury.

so do we take this opportunity to rest him?? playoffs pretty much sealed but not home field advantage.....detroit playing well, so we may need to win out ....but lacys hip bothering him, he is a big man, and takes some and gives some heavy hits and a cornerstone of our offence so do we push him hard with playoffs to come or do we go with starks, who has looked good when getting touches, and harris

thoughts?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so do we take this opportunity to rest him?? playoffs pretty much sealed but not home field advantage.....detroit playing well, so we may need to win out ....but lacys hip bothering him, he is a big man, and takes some and gives some heavy hits and a cornerstone of our offence so do we push him hard with playoffs to come or do we go with starks, who has looked good when getting touches, and harris

thoughts?

If the hip is giving him problems, you rest him. Not having Lacy will hurt, but Starks has looked good and Harris in his 1 appearance this year also looked the guy we saw 2 years ago. Packers should have enough confidence in Starks with Harris spelling him to let Lacy sit if he has to.

D

Deleted member 6794

thoughts?

If any effect from hip go with Starks and Harris.

If the hip is giving him problems, you rest him. Not having Lacy will hurt, but Starks has looked good and Harris in his 1 appearance this year also looked the guy we saw 2 years ago. Packers should have enough confidence in Starks with Harris spelling him to let Lacy sit if he has to.

It is pretty tough to run between the tackles vs. the Bills defensive line. With Lacy being dinged up I would be fine with the Packers resting him in this one as Starks and Harris are better suited to run outside the tackles.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Football Outsiders it's no. 1 offense against no. 1 (adjusted DVOA) defense in the league. Buffalo has best pass defense in the league and the Packers with Rogers the best pass game in the league. If Buffalo has a weakness in pass defense, it's against the no. 2 receivers, where they rank 23rd. So this could be a big game for Cobb or Adams.

Our 18th ranked defense will be equal to Buffalo's 25th ranked offense.

If it comes down to passing, like most games in today's NFL, I'll take Rogers over Orton any day, week, year, or millennium.

Staff online

Latest posts