Bucks VS Nets

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They showed Z Dog and Jones a few times during the telecast, don't think they ever identified them, but I knew who they were. Very cool that you were at the game, must have been awesome to hear that roar of the crowd again first hand!

I agree with you on KD, he can be a real assassin and to me has by far been the MVP of this series so far.

I love Giannis but he just needs to scrap the 3 pointers and for gods sake, learn how to shoot free throws in under 10 seconds.

Middleton finally came through last night, but he still gives the ball up too many times.

Bucks are not getting enough offense from Holiday, Lopez and the bench. Crazy on how the points split out last night, but hammers home just how average the Bucks are outside of Giannis and Middleton.

Giannis and Middleton: 68 points
Rest of Team (7 players): 18 points

Was nice to get a win, but the Bucks benefited by a really poor shooting 1st Q. Brooklyn team. I think Brooklyn wins this in 6 and maybe even 5 if they win this next game.
Complete reversal of the last few years when the bench was solid. I don't have it, but it would be interesting to look at points contributed by the bench this year versus last few years.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Complete reversal of the last few years when the bench was solid. I don't have it, but it would be interesting to look at points contributed by the bench this year versus last few years.
Below are the last 3 years for "bench stats".

2018: Minutes Per Game: 18.3 Points Per Game: 31.8
2019: MPG: 20.9 PPG: 40
2020: MPG: 17.8 PPG: 34.8

I couldn't find stats for the playoffs, but at least in the Nets series, the Bench points are probably way down. Those can be deceiving though, since in a blow-out (either way), the bench is going to get more playing time and score more points. For instance, game 2 in Brooklyn.

The eye test tells me that the Bucks bench players in the Nets series are totally letting the team down when the game is still in the balance. As have some of the starters at various times.

Pat Connaughton has been a major disappointment. He has 5 fricking points in 3 games.

I think one of the more frustrating parts of the series is that Brooklyn really isn't known for playing great defense and the Bucks have lead the league 2 years in a row with in ave. points per game scored, yet they seem to be having a hard time finding the basket.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roar of the crowd was awesome!!! Especially the one that hit me was the one I couldn't see the court when I heard it...early in the game. I was like wow!!! What could have happened haha

I'll be there Sunday too hoping to be part of another win to ensure game 6
Bring home a winner Quick! And have fun!
Below are the last 3 years for "bench stats".

2018: Minutes Per Game: 18.3 Points Per Game: 31.8
2019: MPG: 20.9 PPG: 40
2020: MPG: 17.8 PPG: 34.8

I couldn't find stats for the playoffs, but at least in the Nets series, the Bench points are probably way down. Those can be deceiving though, since in a blow-out (either way), the bench is going to get more playing time and score more points. For instance, game 2 in Brooklyn.

The eye test tells me that the Bucks bench players in the Nets series are totally letting the team down when the game is still in the balance. As have some of the starters at various times.

Pat Connaughton has been a major disappointment. He has 5 fricking points in 3 games.

I think one of the more frustrating parts of the series is that Brooklyn really isn't known for playing great defense and the Bucks have lead the league 2 years in a row with in ave. points per game scored, yet they seem to be having a hard time finding the basket.
Thanks Poker, much appreciated. Interesting. The numbers don't vary much by season. And yes, the Nets are not a strong defensive team, and yet they've held the Bucks to 86 pts twice (one win, one loss). So where did that 40 point win come from? I don't know, but the Bucks are not playing their game (moving without the ball, finding and passing to the open man). I would think that's easily corrected by a TO and a reminder, these guys are pros. That hasn't happened.

I hope the momentum of the win carries over and the Bucks get back to their game. The Nets are likely the best team in BB right now. That said, they can be beaten.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So where did that 40 point win come from? I don't know, but the Bucks are not playing their game (moving without the ball, finding and passing to the open man). I would think that's easily corrected by a TO and a reminder, these guys are pros. That hasn't happened.
I think Bud will get a ton of the blame if the Bucks once again get knocked out in the 2nd round. While I agree to some extent, I just think they aren't as talented as either the Nets or the 76'ers. If you look at the remaining teams, most of them have 2 if not 3 legit stars on their team. Giannis is the Bucks only legit star. Middleton and Holiday can play like stars at times, but much like Eric Bledsoe was with the Bucks, too inconsistent, especially against a really good team.

Now the future problem for Bucks GM Jon Horst and the owners, they literally blew their *** keeping Giannis and obtaining Holiday, so they probably can't go out and purchase another big named player. That means that they have to figure out a way to get better with what they basically already have. That might be through the hopeful development of some young guys or a new coach.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bud will get a ton of the blame if the Bucks once again get knocked out in the 2nd round. While I agree to some extent, I just think they aren't as talented as either the Nets or the 76'ers. If you look at the remaining teams, most of them have 2 if not 3 legit stars on their team. Giannis is the Bucks only legit star. Middleton and Holiday can play like stars at times, but much like Eric Bledsoe was with the Bucks, too inconsistent, especially against a really good team.

Now the future problem for Bucks GM Jon Horst and the owners, they literally blew their *** keeping Giannis and obtaining Holiday, so they probably can't go out and purchase another big named player. That means that they have to figure out a way to get better with what they basically already have. That might be through the hopeful development of some young guys or a new coach.
I didn't address the talent disparity but you're right. While you can count on Giannis to put up 30+ pts, ten to 15 rebounds and 7 or 8 assists each night, the same can't be said for Middleton and Holiday. It seems like Durant and Irving are always on, although I'm sure they have a small share of nights when things aren't clicking. And Irving was a failed experiment in Boston. I think the Bucks could get past the 76ers this year, but first they'd have to beat a better team in the Nets. We'll see but I'm not holding my breath.

And it's Horst's responsibility for the team on the floor, and it looks like he mortgaged the future for the wrong combination of players. There's plenty of blame to go around, even Giannis and his almost circus-like FT attempts. I'm 66, but I think I could hit the rim consistently.

As far as the future, I don't know what to add beyond your suggestions. All I have is hindsight, which is 20/20. They should have kept Brogdon and let Bledsoe go. Again, hindsight is 20/20.

Reaction score
hoping to bring the Bucs good mojo. Turned the game on to watch us go up by 10! Nice pass to Giannis between the legs for the dunk!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well...you never want to see players get hurt, but I wish Kyrie a speedy recovery and that he is healed up in ...2 weeks. :tup:

Bucks most complete game so far in the series. Best out of 3, Bucks can win this!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope you're right Quick. I'm certain they can get past the Sixers. The Nets are a better team.

Thanks for the well wishes on the game today...looks like the positive energy paid off. By my gut the Bucks are now in control of the series. I have a good feeling about game 5. Seems ripe for a steal and I'd that happens game 6 in Milwaukee is gonna be tough for the nets to win

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well...you never want to see players get hurt, but I wish Kyrie a speedy recovery and that he is healed up in ...2 weeks. :tup:

Bucks most complete game so far in the series. Best out of 3, Bucks can win this!

Yeah I didn't see the injury I was stuck doing other stuff but it's hard for me to imagine a guy who has to leave the game with an ankle comes back in less than a week...even if he does he certainly won't be as effective

Looking good especially with the bucks playing their best game so far if the momentum carries to NY...watch out

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The other interesting aspect of the game yesterday was Blake Griffins sudden disappearance from the game in the 3rd Q. Not sure if it was injury related or Nash just felt like it was better matchups without him in there? I actually felt like Blake was a difference maker so far this series, so it will be interesting to see/read any news on that situation.

If the Bucks escape this series with a W, I believe they do it solely on being the more healthy team, but not the more talented team. If that happens, I won't shed a tear for Brooklyn for trying to buy a championship and failing.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other interesting aspect of the game yesterday was Blake Griffins sudden disappearance from the game in the 3rd Q. Not sure if it was injury related or Nash just felt like it was better matchups without him in there? I actually felt like Blake was a difference maker so far this series, so it will be interesting to see/read any news on that situation.

If the Bucks escape this series with a W, I believe they do it solely on being the more healthy team, but not the more talented team. If that happens, I won't shed a tear for Brooklyn for trying to buy a championship and failing.
Yeah I've been wondering how the Nets can afford to pay Harden, Durant, and Irving and not pay the luxury tax. Maybe they are. There's still a monetary advantage for big market teams. If so, it's still the owners buying a championship.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah I've been wondering how the Nets can afford to pay Harden, Durant, and Irving and not pay the luxury tax. Maybe they are. There's still a monetary advantage for big market teams. If so, it's still the owners buying a championship.
I have never tried to figure out the NBA or MLB Salary and luxury cap system. All I know is it seems like it favors the bigger market teams. I guess before I complained too much about the Nets buying a Championship, I should have looked up where the Bucks were. :D

According to this article, the Bucks were 5th in payroll and the Nets #2. Of course this is from Jan. and both teams have acquired players since it was put out.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never tried to figure out the NBA or MLB Salary and luxury cap system. All I know is it seems like it favors the bigger market teams. I guess before I complained too much about the Nets buying a Championship, I should have looked up where the Bucks were. :D

According to this article, the Bucks were 5th in payroll and the Nets #2. Of course this is from Jan. and both teams have acquired players since it was put out.

Interesting numbers, and yeah, I don't get the NBA salary cap rules, luxury tax, and on. MLB is the same. Harden was acquired in January. Well, the Nets have one more position to go to get to highest payroll.

That's what I like the NFL structure (although it can be plenty confusing). If I get the main part, every team has the same amount of money to spend on player salary. They can play games with guaranteed money, workout bonuses, voidable contract years but over time, the limit is the limit, even if it's counted in dead cap. I think Pete Rozelle put that in place and that's resulted in parity for the most part. TB was very fortunate to keep their SB team together this year (sigh.....) but that's certain to change after this year. Well, I hope so.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From my understanding the MLB doesn't really have a salary cap because the owner can take money out of his own pocket to pay salaries. The NBA doesn't have a hard cap and I believe bigger market teams have more money to spend because they can use a portion of TV revenue to pay salaries...or so that's how it always sounded to me.

Even the NFL cap has become increasingly confusing but that is mainly due to free agency and trades with dead cap hits

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From my understanding the MLB doesn't really have a salary cap because the owner can take money out of his own pocket to pay salaries. The NBA doesn't have a hard cap and I believe bigger market teams have more money to spend because they can use a portion of TV revenue to pay salaries...or so that's how it always sounded to me.

Even the NFL cap has become increasingly confusing but that is mainly due to free agency and trades with dead cap hits
Thanks G. Makes sense. I gotta believe the Nets are playing a luxury tax. As you point out, they have ways to make that up.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We can only hope that Harden is still a bit sore, tight and slightly rusty. Nets know they need him and this is probably in their eyes a do or die game. I would rather face a gimpy Harden then a fully healthy Irving.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can only hope that Harden is still a bit sore, tight and slightly rusty. Nets know they need him and this is probably in their eyes a do or die game. I would rather face a gimpy Harden then a fully healthy Irving.
With a hamstring injury, this is risky playing him, especially the way he plays which involves a lot of very hard changes of direction. I don't know that the Nets have much choice though. This also makes me believe Irving's ankle injury is fairly serious.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree, I think they were going to try and rest Harden as long as possible and now with the series tied 2-2 and Irving out for who knows how long, they have no choice but to see if Harden can go.

The Bucks couldn't have gotten any better "breaks", short of KD also going down with an injury....but I didn't say THAT! :whistling:

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Once again, Bud, Giannis, Middleton and the rest of the Bucks choke in the clutch. KD plays probably a top 5 all time playoff performance and Bud is sticking Middleton or just Tucker on him? Give me a fricking break. Make someone else beat you Bud! So pissed its hard to even contemplate Bud being around another season.

Members online

Latest posts