Bubba Franks signs...

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is reported on other sites that Bubba has signed a7 year contract for 28 million. If true that is good to know.How's everyone feel about this?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franks, Packers agree on contract
7 years, $28 million for Pro Bowl tight end

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Photo/Rick Wood
Bubba Franks' new contract is worth
$28 million over seven years.

By BOB MCGINN
[email protected]
Posted: Aug. 24, 2005

Green Bay - Tight end Bubba Franks has a new lifetime contract with the Green Bay Packers, a source close to the negotiations told the Journal Sentinel this morning.

Late Tuesday night the two sides agreed on a seven-year, $28 million contract that will keep Franks in Green Bay through the 2011 season. The structure of the payout to Franks wasn

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the fact that he dropped 10 pounds to improve his speed. Bottom line is, I think Bubba has been terribly underestimated by this coaching staff as a downfield threat. No..he is not Tony G or Todd Heap in terms of speed, but he has more than enough to run the seam when called upon..they just never called upon him to do this. Good signing.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Bubba pulls an Antonio Freeman on the Packers..(??) --- I'll be pi$$ed..... Cut him immediately at the end of the Season, period. Otherwise, we're solidified at TE now, at least in one position and the U-71 package (again) becomes a normal staple to the Packers diet regimen. Hopefully, they'll keep both Steele and McHugh somehow and these guys can develop.... I've always preferred the Tiger set to any other the Packers have used in the last decade.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just ope we transition him onto the field correctly. With all the time he has been away from the live contact, I don't know if we could afford for him to get injured forcing him in. IMO I'm stoked to have him back.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I have read it is comparable (to slightly less) than the top TEs in the league.

Is he at that level? Don't get me wrong there is not too many that are the complete package as Bubba has become, but 7 years 28 million? I wonder how much of this contract was controlled by our need for ANY tight end?

My worry goes to future cap space and resigning players (aside from potential future labor disputes regarding salary cap).

Big names are coming up for FA. Is Bubba more important than Walker? Green? or other big name FAs that we NEED to sign.

A little diligent work in the offseason to get a cheaper above average TE could have avoided future problems.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I like the fact that he dropped 10 pounds to improve his speed. Bottom line is, I think Bubba has been terribly underestimated by this coaching staff as a downfield threat. No..he is not Tony G or Todd Heap in terms of speed, but he has more than enough to run the seam when called upon..they just never called upon him to do this. Good signing.
You're right. You can't tell me Alge Crumpler is any faster than Bubba is, yet he seems to catch passes downfield.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
From what I have read it is comparable (to slightly less) than the top TEs in the league.

Is he at that level? Don't get me wrong there is not too many that are the complete package as Bubba has become, but 7 years 28 million? I wonder how much of this contract was controlled by our need for ANY tight end?

My worry goes to future cap space and resigning players (aside from potential future labor disputes regarding salary cap).

Big names are coming up for FA. Is Bubba more important than Walker? Green? or other big name FAs that we NEED to sign.

A little diligent work in the offseason to get a cheaper above average TE could have avoided future problems.
It's $4 million/year as an overall salary, but I bet it's heavily backloaded in terms of his base salary. Remeber also that we'll have around $20 million in cap space give or take next season so I don't see a problem re-signing Walker or Green (should we choose to do so. I think Flanny may be gone as it looks as though Wells is ready to play.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
phew! I'm also guessing this is a Packer cap friendly contract, meaning it's weighted towards those last 2 years when the Packers would likely cut him, i.e. Sharper. Glad he's around though...now the offense is ready to get rollin' !!!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this just occurred to me, but Javon has to love this news, knowing the Packers are still willing to treat their own well.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Digs,

Perhaps you can call Tom Rosseley and tell him that the Seam pass to the TE is a play that can be run in the NFL....

I think Rosseley just doesn't understand that TE's can be used for something other than blocking.....

He needs..Running and NFL OFfense for Dummies 101....

Reaction score
lol, P@ck66. Well anyways, im excited by it. Bubba is a professional, and with the capspace next year, we can get better, real fast. As much as I like Green, I would think that anythign more than a short term deal (2-3 years max) would be a waste, seeing his age. And we got Kampman to sign too, but on the bright side, we may cut Hunt. :)

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alge Crumpler is no faster than Franks from what I have seen on the field. Perhaps without pads on a track, but with gear in the course of a game, Crumpler is NOT any faster than Franks.

The thing is, when you weigh 255 - 260 and are 6'-5", you use your large body and great hands (both of which Bubba has in spades) to bring the ball home....defenders or not. These coaches have to realize that Bubba will not outrun a lot of guys, but that if you put it near his ever-so-soft mitts, it is coming home.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
the length of this really surprises me however im glad he's signed!!

P@ck66 said:
Digs,

Perhaps you can call Tom Rosseley and tell him that the Seam pass to the TE is a play that can be run in the NFL....

I think Rosseley just doesn't understand that TE's can be used for something other than blocking.....

He needs..Running and NFL OFfense for Dummies 101....

your favorite sherman will be calling plays this year

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Bubba pulls an Antonio Freeman on the Packers..(??) --- I'll be pi$$ed.....

IPB - I've been wrong before, but I just don't see Bubba pulling a Freeman (of course I didn't expect Freeman to pull a Freeman). Bubba has always been a team oriented player, and I don't see the big $ changing that. I think this is great to have him tied up for possibly the rest of his career. The offense should be ready to roll when the season starts.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Slick,

I doubt it....

I bet you anything Rosseley will be calling more plays than (almost) anyone on this forum will be comfortable with....

you'll see...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Slick,

I doubt it....

I bet you anything Rosseley will be calling more plays than (almost) anyone on this forum will be comfortable with....

you'll see...

Sherman said with the success that was last year with him making the call selections he will continue and will take advice from Rossley.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no doubt we needed him back...at 4 mil a year though? thats crazy. way too much for Bubba Franks imo.

does anybody know how this contract breaks down? any specifics?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The deal averages 4 million over 7 years. This appears to be a good deal for the packers and a face saving one for Bubba.

It is likely more cap friendly than the 2.1 Bubba was due this year. That means 10 million signing bonus or less. Year 6 and 7 are likely expensive but may be market by then.

When you crunch numbers once released we will see this is likely a good deal.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus next year, isn't the cap going to be raised? I'm sure that the contract is backloaded, seems all teams draw the contracts up this way.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will have over 40 million in cap money to spend next year and a few players to spend it on. We will be doing great with cap next year giving the Packers a make over.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts