Bryan Bulaga: out for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Per Bob McGinn, rookie David Bakhtiari will replace Bulaga at LT
While I'm holding onto a faint hope that Bulaga will be able to return sometime this season I hope McGinn is correct if Bulaga is indeed lost for the season.

I noticed during the first series of the scrimmage Bakhtiari replaced Newhouse at RT. That made me think it likely he would win the RT job at some point. Now I hope he is first in line after Bulaga at LT: We know Newhouse can't handle that job so if I were Thompson/McCarthy I would gladly put up with some rookie mistakes for the upside we've already read about.

Eric Lundell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about trading for Joe Thomas? Isn't he in the last year of his contract? He has stated that he wants to play somewhere with a chance at a deep run in the playoffs. Heck, I'd give up a first round pick in 2014 for Thomas.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Good. While an ACL is just about the easiest thing to test for and see on an MRI, I applaud a player for going outside the GB medical staff again for a 2nd opinion. Remember last year when they ****ed around with Jennings for how many weeks before he got a 2nd opinion and bang...surgery, recovery, return.
Let's not forget DR Andrews is the foremost authority (and the Redskins dr)

McGinn just tweeted he doesn't know who will play which T spot, just that D Bak will be taking a starting spot.

You'd have to trade more than just 1 2014 1st rounder for Thomas. Not worth the farm.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As stated above I'd go with the rook, i.e. Bakhtiara at LT. I'd rather live through his mistakes than seeing Newhouse there who can't get the job done. I'd also rather see Barclay at RT. He's at least a fighter.

That still leaves the Packers without any solid depth. I expect Thompson will try to address that via other teams cuts. I don't see him making a trade for a tackle.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As stated above I'd go with the rook, i.e. Bakhtiara at LT. I'd rather live through his mistakes than seeing Newhouse there who can't get the job done. I'd also rather see Barclay at RT. He's at least a fighter.

That still leaves the Packers without any solid depth. I expect Thompson will try to address that via other teams cuts. I don't see him making a trade for a tackle.

Under your scenerio, Newhouse would be the backup. That's a pretty good backup, considering he's started at both tackle spots (including in the playoffs) and knows the offense well. I mean, he should be a backup ideally. So, if he ends up being one, that's good depth.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Under your scenerio, Newhouse would be the backup. That's a pretty good backup, considering he's started at both tackle spots (including in the playoffs) and knows the offense well. I mean, he should be a backup ideally. So, if he ends up being one, that's good depth.

I don't think Newhouse is good for anything other than carrying water to the other guys. Also, there's precious little depth at guard or center. Remember they were looking at Barclay for depth at center.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish we knew more about the potential status of Tretter and Sherrod this year. Not that either is proven, but if we were projected to get both back mid-season it would sure help us feel better about the depth there.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know TT is

I'm still hoping we look for a match on a late training camp trade. I figure we will be making some tough cuts at a couple positions. RB (Starks? Green?) DB (Bush? Richardson?) I'm hoping that maybe there will be a team out there that might be making some tough cuts on the O-line but need some help at RB or DB and that we could help each other. I don't know who that would be, though.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish we knew more about the potential status of Tretter and Sherrod this year. Not that either is proven, but if we were projected to get both back mid-season it would sure help us feel better about the depth there.

It seems the status of Sherrod is as murky as a rainy night in London (sorry Buggybill). :confused:

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about trading for Joe Thomas? Isn't he in the last year of his contract? He has stated that he wants to play somewhere with a chance at a deep run in the playoffs. Heck, I'd give up a first round pick in 2014 for Thomas.

Yeah and then he would be diagnosed with some rare bone disorder 15 mins after signing a contract.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Bakhtari starts at LT then Newhouse will be his backup but I also expect Newhouse to be the starting RT. It doesn't seem like Barclay has done much to overtake him and if they're going to have a rookie on the left side they're probably going to keep the TE over there more often than not to help him in pass blocking rather than the RT. That means we'll want our best pass blocking RT out there, and that's Newhouse. He's not a world beater but he's not the worst either and we're really lucky to have such an experienced backup. As much as people want to trash him, we're way better off with him subbing at RT than we were last year plugging in an undrafted rookie.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
If Bakhtari starts at LT then Newhouse will be his backup but I also expect Newhouse to be the starting RT. It doesn't seem like Barclay has done much to overtake him and if they're going to have a rookie on the left side they're probably going to keep the TE over there more often than not to help him in pass blocking rather than the RT. That means we'll want our best pass blocking RT out there, and that's Newhouse. He's not a world beater but he's not the worst either and we're really lucky to have such an experienced backup. As much as people want to trash him, we're way better off with him subbing at RT than we were last year plugging in an undrafted rookie.
Haven't you heard? Some on here insist Barclay is the RT savior.

Baked

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Anyone but a lineman or Rodgers..... ugh.

I wish we'd drafted OL higher in the draft.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about 2 first round picks (Bulaga & Sherrod), plus Starks or Alex Green, and next year's first round pick, and Tramon Williams?

The problem is that even though Joe Thomas would be the answer initially, you know that he'd get hurt too within a month once he put on the green & gold.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2012 left tackle Marshall Newhouse allowed 9.5 sacks, 11.5 hits and hurries, and racked up 22 total blown blocks. Newhouse was smartly moved to the right tackle spot for the 2013 campaign – but now what?

I guess it's hope & pray that the rookie 4th rounder Bahktiari A) is ready and B) magically doesn't ever get hurt in the next 24 weeks of games for us. (4 preseason, 16 regular, 3 or 4 playoff).

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article about Bakhtiari, and Bulaga > http://packersinsider.com/
You will have more HOPE after reading the Bakhtiari one.

I feel so bad for Bulaga.... he wanted to play!
He's tough, but his body doesn't seem to be.
He'd play on the torn ACL all season if they let him.

I hate the ACL !

asifp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thomas has a pretty bad history / luck or drafting line men. The success rate is quite low as proven by the fact that OLine has been a cause of worry for the last 4-5 years.
He should learn and just trade from some quality linemen. Giving up 3-4 picks for two quality linemen would be a big win. We are not missing 20 things to challenge for a superbowl, just a few pieces here and there so might as well go make a splash.

On a side note I wish he has signed Eric Winston.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
If TT does go outside to get a LT, you can bet your paycheck it will be some no namer. He wont spend the $$ to protect the franchise QB's blindside in the time of desperate need.......we need desperate measures.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT does go outside to get a LT, you can bet your paycheck it will be some no namer. He wont spend the $$ to protect the franchise QB's blindside in the time of desperate need.......we need desperate measures.

TT doesn't do this kind of thing because it almost never works and almost always hurts the team in the medium/long term. Also, he's constructed a team where there is a very promising rookie and a guy who started every game at LT last year ready to play. THAT'S A GOOD THING. Don't blame TT for Bulaga or Sherrod's injuries.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
TT doesn't do this kind of thing because it almost never works and almost always hurts the team in the medium/long term. Also, he's constructed a team where there is a very promising rookie and a guy who started every game at LT last year ready to play. THAT'S A GOOD THING. Don't blame TT for Bulaga or Sherrod's injuries.

Promising rookie? Well....have not seen anything from this promising rookie and I am willing to bet he wont be worth a damn after this much time off and away from the game. I know TT's habits, but once in a while you have to step up and get away from your typical habit to protect the face of the franchise. If you put a sketchy name in there at LT or Newhouse, it's only going to be a matter of time before we lose "the man" at QB and we all know that without a doubt, we lose Arod, our season is toast. You almost have to have good quality at certain positions, 3rd teir guys just wont cut it at LT, plain and simple. No way we need Arod to take another 50+ sacks, it is not good for his longevity.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great quote by McGinn:

"They [fans and media] must think every left tackle is this ultra-talented man-mountain when the starters at the position for the last five Super Bowl champions were aging Bryant McKinnie, converted guard David Diehl, aging Chad Clifton, solid Jermon Bushrod and journeyman Max Starks."

Like I said previously, it sucks because Bulaga was playing well and looked to solidify the position. But, this team can survive this injury and proved it last year when it still played well offensively with a tackle combo of Newhouse and Barclay.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Great quote by McGinn:

"They [fans and media] must think every left tackle is this ultra-talented man-mountain when the starters at the position for the last five Super Bowl champions were aging Bryant McKinnie, converted guard David Diehl, aging Chad Clifton, solid Jermon Bushrod and journeyman Max Starks."

Like I said previously, it sucks because Bulaga was playing well and looked to solidify the position. But, this team can survive this injury and proved it last year when it still played well offensively with a tackle combo of Newhouse and Barclay.

Sure, it can survive.....but newhouse is so sketchy it's only a matter of time before he allows something terrible to happens. We better have our best blocking back in there for added help on damn near every pass play to keep some help with newhouse. Remember, we do face some pretty tough teams on the schedule this year and you can bet their D is gunning for Arod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online