Bruce Campbell

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce Campbell - OT - Maryland

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH2-cJJR-rQ"]YouTube - Maryland OT Bruce Campbell Official Highlights vs. Cal[/ame]

and this is actually a Heyward-Bey highlights, but it shows Campbell

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfDUEa4iJsg"]YouTube - LT Bruce Campbell Highlights/Lowlights 2008 Maryland[/ame]

CBSsports.com analysis:

Pass blocking: Sets quickly with good knee bend. Comes out to meet his man with a strong punch instead of catching him. Uses his length to lock up most defensive ends before they get started on their outside move. When focused, he can move laterally with his man and keep him covered up. Resets his hands after initial contact. Adjusts well to tackle-end twists. His height can be a detriment against strong but small ends, who get under his pads and push him into the backfield. He manages to anchor eventually, though. Lacks recovery speed and will get lazy moving his feet against a hustling end with counter pass rush moves. Uses an armbar to prevent inside rush when beat.

Run blocking: Locks onto his man after firing off the snap. Seals the edge well and can turn his man out of the hole. Lunges as a power drive blocker, however, often losing his balance and missing his target. A work in progress in this area.

Pulling/trapping: Mobile enough to get out in front of quick screens and off-tackle runs. Must improve his effectiveness as a cut blocker, often failing to even reach the ground. Throws his body towards a defender instead of locking on and sustaining.

Initial Quickness: Run blocks and pass protects out of a three-point stance. Fair quickness off the snap, generally getting a good angle on his kick slide and initial pop on run blocks. He will get off late at times and not get set, allowing his man to get him on skates.

Downfield: Agile enough to get into space, and knows how to get the correct angle at the second level. Tough to get away from once latched on, but has trouble adjusting to safeties and linebackers because they get by him with quickness. Could hustle a bit more to reach a second target.

Intangibles: Adequate competitor who will put a defender on the ground when possible, but scouts have questions about durability and intelligence. Only started 17 games before leaving school. Dealt with injury issues as a senior.

NFL Comparison: Alex Barron, St. Louis Rams
Bruce Campbell Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths: Prototypical length and frame
Athletic freak
Displays good flexibility
Smooth, fluid hips
Outstanding ability to adjust, mirror, and recover
Elite agility and speed
Great in pass protection
Nice awareness; head on swivel and picks up blitz
Good hands; extends and locks on
Light on his feet
Instinctual
Solid run blocker
Love his footwork
Ridiculously high upside
Room to develop strength and body mass
Elite skill set

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Weaknesses: Inexperienced - only 17 career starts
Too upright in pass protection
Natural knee bender?
Plays with narrow base
Legit durability concerns

Summary: Consider Bruce Campbell the Jason Smith of the 2010 NFL Draft class. His stock will be soaring through the roof once we get to the Combine, however, he is more of a natural pass protector than Smith. With more experience, he could become a Pro Bowl left tackle at the next level. Of course, you have to consider his long list of injuries, but he'll likely be taken in the top 16 picks.

Player Comparison: Branden Albert. Albert and Campbell have great physical tools, but I think Campbell is more of a natural left tackle. Both were raw offensive tackle prospects.
I'm not very high on him, IMHO it's more about upside than about play ability, but I'm posting it here cause he's a possible selection.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I've seen him going to us in a few mocks. One of those picks that isn't **** at all, but would probably be a solid contributor for years to come. Not great, but solid.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Picking a guy with injury problems is a bad idea. Sorry ....but the last guy we picked with issues like that (1st round)........was JUSTIN HARRELL. I'd rather have Charles Brown for that reason alone.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he just ran a 4.78 40, after benchpressing 34 times. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

Okay, so good news and bad news.

The good news is that another solid OL prospect is going to fall to us.

The bad news is this guy will be gone by the time Oakland picks, I ASURE YOU.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he just ran a 4.78 40, after benchpressing 34 times. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

Okay, so good news and bad news.

The good news is that another solid OL prospect is going to fall to us.

The bad news is this guy will be gone by the time Oakland picks, I ASURE YOU.

LOL I just posted that idea that Campbell won't move past Davis' pick. I'm kinda glad that Campbell won't fall to us. Although I did say he had the most upside out of many of the o-lineman in this draft, his injuries will nag him throughout his career.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL I just posted that idea that Campbell won't move past Davis' pick. I'm kinda glad that Campbell won't fall to us. Although I did say he had the most upside out of many of the o-lineman in this draft, his injuries will nag him throughout his career.
He's by far the most natural, the most athletic LT in the draft.

But yeah, he's a project. Showed a lot of flaws on tape, and there's the durability concern.

My favorite guy is Charles Brown, I've said that. I'd rather have him than Anthony Davis, from what I've seen from vids, and from what I remember from USC and Rutdgers...

But I'm afraid after his measurables, he might be gone when we pick...

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
He moved up the boards today with his work out but not a guy who starts day 1 IMHO. Good news is he may flush a player down the board to us.
I have the OL work outs on DVR. Going to record DB's and RB's as well.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He moved up the boards today with his work out but not a guy who starts day 1 IMHO. Good news is he may flush a player down the board to us.
I have the OL work outs on DVR. Going to record DB's and RB's as well.
You have it on your forum? Or you haven't posted yet?

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some still have Bruce Campbell low on the board | ProFootballTalk.com

Interesting details... I wonder where he is on our draft board.
As I said before, with Campbell is all about upside and projection.

There's bad tape of him, there's good tape of him, but he only started 17 games, so it's kind of far-fetched to rate him as 4th round material. And the "source" (source doesn't translate to nothing with Florio) says he's rated as a 4th rounder based on tape, but GMs don't evaluate players solely on tape, specially ones that haven't played a lot...

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said before, with Campbell is all about upside and projection.

There's bad tape of him, there's good tape of him, but he only started 17 games, so it's kind of far-fetched to rate him as 4th round material. And the "source" (source doesn't translate to nothing with Florio) says he's rated as a 4th rounder based on tape, but GMs don't evaluate players solely on tape, specially ones that haven't played a lot...
Tape and interviews go along way evaluating these guys. Going to the combine helps the evaluation process no doubt.......but when it comes right down to it............the tape shows if the guy can play football. Campbell did well at the Combine. Maybe he will be a Raider.

Like I stated before, he is injury prone and has not played an entire season. Don't think we really need to replace a older guy that has knee problems........with another guy that can't stay on the field. Not with a 1st round pick. Just my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts