browns playing moneyball.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They hired one of the baseball "moneyball" guys and are going to try to plug it into football... Which means they will purge...

Joe Thomas?

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love to see him in green and gold, money is the factor that would keep him away, they can trade him, I would guess. I forget what messed up the Denver trade last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

They hired one of the baseball "moneyball" guys and are going to try to plug it into football... Which means they will purge...

Joe Thomas?

The Browns asked for more than a first-round pick at last season´s trade deadline in return for Joe Thomas, way too much for making sense to consider trading for him. In addition Thomas would add more than $9 million to the salary cap, that would most likely result in the Packers in danger of getting over the cap once the season starts.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Clowns have lost a pro bowl center and safety as well as their starting RT and WR to free agency. The Clowns might not win a game next year.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Thomas is as rock solid as they come, probably a HOF'er but why? I am by no means comparing them but Bahk is pretty damn solid in his own right, much younger and should only get better. I've never really understood the "we need to go get a LT" talk.

D

Deleted member 6794

Joe Thomas is as rock solid as they come, probably a HOF'er but why? I am by no means comparing them but Bahk is pretty damn solid in his own right, much younger and should only get better. I've never really understood the "we need to go get a LT" talk.

I don´t think we need to add another starting tackle but for sure need to add a reliable backup for both spots.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t think we need to add another starting tackle but for sure need to add a reliable backup for both spots.

I agree but at that point it comes down to cost. Both what it'd take to trade for him plus the added strain on the cap

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree but at that point it comes down to cost. Both what it'd take to trade for him plus the added strain on the cap

Not sure we´re on the same page here as I would absolutely be fine with spending a mid- to late-round pick on a potential backup tackle.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure we´re on the same page here as I would absolutely be fine with spending a mid- to late-round pick on a potential backup tackle.

Oh I would too and believe that's going to happen in the comming draft. Possibly also at Guard in addition to Tackle to help both depth for this comming season but also protect against when 3/5 of our OLine are about to hit the market next season.

My comment was in reference to the idea of aquiring Joe Thomas. He'd be a great addition but the loss of a draft pick with the added strain on the cap would be versus the upgrade in question

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not sure what you guys were watching the last 2 years... But Bahk has either been given leinency for being a rookie (on a healthy Oline that was doing well as a whole). And then he was injured most the year............

That sounds like a back up to me....

Do I think Bahl is good? Yes. Do I think he is capable of being responsible for Rodgers blind side? Nope.
If you all havnt noticed, Rodgers has been getting banged up lately.... As he gets older, its only going to get worse. We need a corner stone at LT IMO. Now , not 5 years from now when Bahk evolves into one.

D

Deleted member 6794

Im not sure what you guys were watching the last 2 years... But Bahk has either been given leinency for being a rookie (on a healthy Oline that was doing well as a whole). And then he was injured most the year............

That sounds like a back up to me....

Do I think Bahl is good? Yes. Do I think he is capable of being responsible for Rodgers blind side? Nope.
If you all havnt noticed, Rodgers has been getting banged up lately.... As he gets older, its only going to get worse. We need a corner stone at LT IMO. Now , not 5 years from now when Bahk evolves into one.

Bakhtiari is absolutely fine in pass protection but has to improve blocking for the run. Once again, trading for Thomas is an unrealistic proposal.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many sacks, and hurries did Rodgers have from the left side the last two years??? Even if Bahk was injured, he is still responsible for not being able to play. We need a guy like Thomas who stays healthy. Plays strong. and isnt EVER a liability...

I seen Bahk get driven back right into Rodgers lap too many times to say he is absolutely fine in pass protection... not fine...

D

Deleted member 6794

How many sacks, and hurries did Rodgers have from the left side the last two years??? Even if Bahk was injured, he is still responsible for not being able to play. We need a guy like Thomas who stays healthy. Plays strong. and isnt EVER a liability...

I seen Bahk get driven back right into Rodgers lap too many times to say he is absolutely fine in pass protection... not fine...

Bakhtiari allowed a total of 27 pressures in 2015 and PFF has him ranked as the 11th best tackle in pass protection. While Joe Thomas is for sure the best left tackle in football it doesn´t make any sense to talk about trading for him as the asking price is too steep and the Packers don´t have enough cap space to afford him.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
27 pressures, and how many games missed???
He has to be held somewhat accountable for the HORRIBLE back up OT play while he was injured.

top tier LTs arent cheap. And they arent common... I would trade Sitton and Lang both for Joe Thomas... Guards are easier to draft...

D

Deleted member 6794

He has to be held somewhat accountable for the HORRIBLE back up OT play while he was injured.

Last time I checked the general manager, not the starting left tackle, was responsible for having reliable backups on the roster.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
27 pressures, and how many games missed???

top tier LTs arent cheap. And they arent common... I would trade Sitton and Lang both for Joe Thomas... Guards are easier to draft...

Did you really just say Bakhtiari should be somewhat accountable for the backup OT play? Wow

If you want to blame someone it's either TT for not bringing a different player in as a backup, the coaches for not coaching them up or even simply blaming the backup lineman but not sure why you'd blame Bakhtiari.

That's like saying Rodgers should be held accountable for his backups play at QB when he broke his collarbone..... Damn you Rodgers!!!

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bahktiari is rated as the 11 the best pass blocking left tackle with regard to pressures. Although I would put more emphasis on sacks, I think it's safe to say he struggles in the run game, especially short yardage. If you look at his total game, Bahktiari is average at best. I hope TT drafts a tackle for depth but the Packers are stuck right now. There are too many glaring weaknesses on the team for the draft to fix the LT problem.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last time I checked the general manager, not the starting left tackle, was responsible for having reliable backups on the roster.

Bahks job is to protect Rodgers blind side... And Rodgers got smeared repeatedly because he wasnt there to do his job... A guy like Joe Thomas doesnt miss games. Hasnt missed a snap in his career..... Why do you think that is??? Simply luck?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bahks job is to protect Rodgers blind side... And Rodgers got smeared repeatedly because he wasnt there to do his job... A guy like Joe Thomas doesnt miss games. Hasnt missed a snap in his career..... Why do you think that is??? Simply luck?

Yup. It is largely luck. You may recall that Joe popped his ACL in college. IIRC, he did so playing defensive end, because the Badgers had other injuries at DE, so he was helping out. That too, was just luck. Bad luck, but luck.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a more telling stat would be what Greenbays LT position was ranked last year.

Look. I like Bahk a lot. But LT isnt a joke. Its Rodgers career in a sense. Its our season. Its one of the corner stones of a great offense. And even with Greenbays mighty castle made of gold and dreams built on top. A bad corner stone will destroy everything...

My thought is that Bahk would have been a top tier Backup. Some day a starter, and beyond that, a probowl or two in his prime. now we are forced into letting Rodgers take a lump, every time Bahk learns a lesson.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Luck has something to do with it. Look at Jake Long LT from Miami. #1 overall pick. Pro Bowl. Looked like a stud. Got injured. Now an afterthought. That is how fast it can happen. You never know.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. It is largely luck. You may recall that Joe popped his ACL in college. IIRC, he did so playing defensive end, because the Badgers had other injuries at DE, so he was helping out. That too, was just luck. Bad luck, but luck.
I dont deny the luck factor in anything. But it wasnt JUST luck. There are certain guys who are even dominant among the NFL players. They usually are giving lumps rather than receiving... And as a result, they arent over extended, maxed out all the time maybe. Maybe its mental. Who knows, but there is something zen about a guy who makes it that long without injury.

D

Deleted member 6794

Geez, Bakhtiari has missed a total of two games during his three year career so far. Hardly injury prone.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bahk is decent at pass blocking. Way too many times he gets pushed right back into the QB. He is not a run blocker. He also keeps having false starts. He's decent or average. He gets a pass from everyone because where he was drafted. But I bet if he was drafted in the first round. He would be considered a bust. You don't want the guy who is responsible at protecting your franchise QB being just average. Keep in mind. Rodgers has been hurt the past 3 years now.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is, good luck getting a top LT, or even a significant upgrade on Bak by any means. There just aren't many, and even fewer chances at getting one.

Members online

Latest posts