Brown traded to Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the drama of this last week, it's nearly impossible to see the Steelers bringing back Antonio Brown. He's a generational wide receiver, sure Hall of Famer, not particularly young anymore but has not shown much decline yet either, performance-wise.

The late 1st from the Saints isn't enough, but the #12 pick is probably enough to get the Steelers to simply move on at this point, and we'd still have our usual late 1st round pick.

The upside is you would have two elite wide receivers with Aaron Rodgers, creating matchup nightmares and potentially transforming the offense back into an elite unit overnight.

The downside would be having a distraction on the team if Brown has a hard time sharing the WR spotlight, which seems to have been an issue for him with Smith-Schuster this year.

Would you do it?

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't he signed to a massive contract that would cripple the teams ability to fix the rest of the terrible roster?

Well yeah, elite players cost money. He's on a 4 year/$68M deal, basically same as any other elite WR these days. Khalik Mack got 6 years/$141M and no one seemed too concerned about that.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers already have an elite wr. The highest paid qb in football shouldn't need a stable of elite wr's to be effective. I would pay that and some for Mack. Mack would make every single player on defense better.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers already have an elite wr. The highest paid qb in football shouldn't need a stable of elite wr's to be effective. I would pay that and some for Mack. Mack would make every single player on defense better.

Can he also make the offense better? If not, I'm afraid we still have a big problem on our hands.

Regardless, the Mack ship has sailed.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya he probably would have made the offense better. They could take more chances and not feel like they have to carry the team. Getting the interception perfectionist to agree with me might be a problem. Brown is awesome but Adams is right there with him and you shouldn't need 2 stud wr's. These guys need a new scheme that gets them open instead of trying to hit them in a 12 inch by 12 inch window with perfect timing and the qb needs to stop hearing footsteps and start reading his progressions.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per sportrac it would be a 21M dead cap hit if they traded him pre-6/1. I don't see them wanting to do that.

That aside, would I want the Packers to trade for him? Not sure... great from a talent standpoint, but just seems like toxic WRs just are toxic no matter where they go.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see a top tier 1a wr signed for the sole purpose of not giving AR the excuse that he doesn't have weapons.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
No, NO... a thousand times NO. For crying out loud ... the Green Bay Packers do not a friggen defense. Enough with the trinkets for Rodgers. There are MAYBE 3 Packers defensive players that will be in the NFL in 2 years.

Once a defense has been built (I can't even say "rebuilt") ... offensive line - bring in a parade of great big fat beauties (O-lineman) and rebuild the offense from there. Weapons for Aaron... weapons for Aaron.... for god's sake, in case nobody has noticed ... NONE of the top six QB contracts are in the playoffs.

7 of the top 10 defenses ARE in the playoffs.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Well yeah, elite players cost money. He's on a 4 year/$68M deal, basically same as any other elite WR these days. Khalik Mack got 6 years/$141M and no one seemed too concerned about that.
We'd get him for around $11-12.5m for 3 years. A bit more than what Cobb has stolen from us the past few years. Plus his $2.5m roster bonus this year. Worth $12m? Sure. Worth $12m + #12 pick? No. $12m + #32? Sure.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody was concerned about Kahlil's contract? Are you kidding? That was most posters biggest concern.

And absolutely NO! On Brown. Why spend draft capital and that much $ on a WR? AR can just as effectively overthrow a lesser WR and save big $.

Besides, I dont know what drama crap you are referring to, but a player involved in that has a decrease in value. He is in decline physically. No. There is no value there over a 4th rounder.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just turned on NFLN - GMF. Antonio Brown faked an injury and left the stadium at halftime of the final game. I will revise my value of AB to "Hell NO!" No even a 7th red pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers need to add another talented wide receiver this offseason but shouldn't be interested in trading for Brown.

No. And no Le'Veon Bell. Stop getting tempted by shiny things. We need an impact, disruptive defender that will be here for years, without giving up a ton of capital.

Gutekunst definitely needs to improve the offense during the offseason as well.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think a quick, short and fast slot receiver who could also return punts would be an incredible addition and give Rodgers a lot more options and be hell for the defense. Cobb never really fit in that role or the game plan did not give him the opportunity. Not sure he was quick enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

I still think a quick, short and fast slot receiver who could also return punts would be an incredible addition and give Rodgers a lot more options and be hell for the defense. Cobb never really fit in that role or the game plan did not give him the opportunity. Not sure he was quick enough.

Cobb was definitely a great slot receiver for the Packers before signing his extension in 2015.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are MAYBE 3 Packers defensive players that will be in the NFL in 2 years.

Martinez, Clark, Daniels, Alexander, Jackson... there are others.

Yes, they need an infusion of more talent on the defensive side of the ball, especially at OLB, but they aren't running with 11 street free agents.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been reported Brown has asked to be dealt... He feels a conflict between him and Big Bend ND Tomlin... He wants to be traded..

About an hour ago via Twitter..

Shoot they eat some of that contract I take a 2 year so he can play with A Rod for a couple before the swan song.. but I went to college with the man and I know damn well he will not be going to GB would be kinda sweet

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I seem to recall a lot of people being very concerned about that.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, NO... a thousand times NO. For crying out loud ... the Green Bay Packers do not a friggen defense. Enough with the trinkets for Rodgers. There are MAYBE 3 Packers defensive players that will be in the NFL in 2 years.

Once a defense has been built (I can't even say "rebuilt") ... offensive line - bring in a parade of great big fat beauties (O-lineman) and rebuild the offense from there. Weapons for Aaron... weapons for Aaron.... for god's sake, in case nobody has noticed ... NONE of the top six QB contracts are in the playoffs.

7 of the top 10 defenses ARE in the playoffs.
Trinkets for Rodgers? When has Rodgers ever has gotten a weapon like Antonio Brown?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The 12th overall pick for a 31 year old, expensive malcontent? That's absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts