1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Brooks takes snaps for Pack

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Heatherthepackgirl, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    By BOB McGINN
    bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: Nov. 13, 2007

Green Bay - Quarterback Aaron Brooks, who has had a long relationship with Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy, was one of six players in town Tuesday for tryouts with the Packers.

Brooks, 31, has been out of football since being waived Feb. 22 by the Oakland Raiders.

In 1999, McCarthy was the Packers' quarterbacks coach when they drafted Brooks in the fourth round from Virginia. Last season, he posted a 0-8 record for the Raiders and a passer rating of 61.7, the worst of his career.

The next year, the Packers traded Brooks to New Orleans, where McCarthy was the new offensive coordinator.

Brooks started five games in 2000, then all 16 games in each of the next four seasons under McCarthy. His record as a starter is 38-52.

Quarterback Rohan Davey also was auditioned Tuesday, along with former UW-La Crosse wide receiver Scott Burnoski; wide receiver Antoine Burns, a Milwaukee North graduate; running back Aaron Pruitt; and wide receiver Johnny Quinn.

Davey, 28, spent 2002-'04 with New England and a portion of '05 with Arizona, playing in seven games with no starts. He was the Patriots' fourth-round pick in '02 from Louisiana State.

In 2007, Davey played for the New York Dragons of the Arena Football League. He was cut by the Cardinals in August 2006.

Wide receiver Ruvell Martin has taken snaps as the emergency No. 3 quarterback behind Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers.

2. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Martin as #3? Wow. I thought that was a given spot for Holiday, since he was a QB in college.

3. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Holiday is on IR.

4. RainX

RainX Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    Is Rodgers hurt or something? Don't see much sense in giving up a roster spot to a 3rd string QB who probably won't see the playing field, even in garbage time.

5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    might just be for NEXT year

6. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am guessing they are just covering their bases in case something were to happen and they would need to sign a QB.

7. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    There ya be.

I would think this is homework so less scrambling has to occur if a move becomes necessary. Heaven forbid.

It's called getting your ducks lined up.

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Good points by both of you!

9. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    A little different spin, but same answer. I think with a impending playoff visit in store, the Packers probably will add another QB to the roster so they are prepared and ready in case something happens. Don't care whom the QB is, they will need a couple weeks to get adjusted to the Packers and there many packages.

Just a guess here, but watch for someone (Harrell maybe with the DL depth) to be put on IR and a QB added. To me, it makes sense to have the protection going into the late part of the season / post season.

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yup.....if something were to happen, you don't want to be running around trying to find someone. Especially with all the teams that need a QB right now (see: Vikings)

11. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Brett and ARod both have great chemistry off and on field with R-Mart, id say having him play QB would be fun to see at practice :D