Broncos' Williams killed Monday morning

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Broncos' Williams killed Monday morning--Associated Press

DENVER -- Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting in downtown Denver early Monday morning, police said.

Team spokesman Jim Saccomano said police called him about 3 a.m. Mountain Time from the scene of the shooting and told him three people had been shot and that Williams had been killed.

Saccomano said he spoke with coach Mike Shanahan and others in the organization.

"Complete shock. We're speechless. It takes words away. A terrible tragedy," Saccomano said.

Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson said that a little after 2 a.m., the white Hummer limousine that Williams and two others were traveling in was sprayed with bullets from a vehicle that came up along its side. Three people in the limousine were hit. They were taken to area hospitals, where Williams was pronounced dead. The other victims, a male and a female, were not identified. Hours before the shooting, the Broncos lost to San Francisco 26-23 in overtime, eliminating them from the playoff race.

Williams, a second-round pick in the 2005 draft out of Oklahoma State, started nine games as a rookie due to injuries. This season, he took over as the starter for Lenny Walls alongside Champ Bailey, and was second on the team with four interceptions and tied for third with 86 tackles.

On Sunday against the 49ers, he had a sack, a forced fumble, and led the team with seven sacks.

Jackson said police were searching for the suspects and interviewing witnesses.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

OP
OP
IronMan

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont understand what the whole infatuation is with hand guns. Back in the day, men would settle disputes with their fists, and afterwards everyone gets to go home. Now, youre not "cool" unless your "packing."

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is happening way too often. Used to be when you hung around with the "wrong crowd", you might get into a little trouble before coming to your senses. Now you get shot before having a chance to straighten out.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I still don't believe this. I was jus yelling at the announcers for saying his name wrong then pointing to his jersey saying 'look idiots, he even has his full name on his jersey so you dont screw it up!'

Now he's gone.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he was hanging with Javon Walker, no word as of yet of the other two that were shot..
Supposedly, not life threatening. Holy Moly, I just heard that Javon Walker was with him also, as you said Heather.

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my brother is a big denver fan....
he was telling me that Williams had a lot of talent and was going to be very good. It's a shame but why the heck dose every one need guns????
thier shoud be very strict rules so ediots cant get guns...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
he was telling me that Williams had a lot of talent and was going to be very good. It's a shame but why the heck dose every one need guns????

I was trying to follow the kid as I kept hearing he was gonna be better than Deion! With those praises it was something I HAD to watch, know what I mean?

Now the dude is, gone.

I can handle a lot, but death always beats me.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
holy wow - i was tryin to figure out what this guys name was during the entire game & to think he's gone now is just unreal. :(

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whats even worse is I've heard that his girlfriend was in the limo with him and she was also killed. Sadly they have left behind 2 children.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont understand what the whole infatuation is with hand guns. Back in the day, men would settle disputes with their fists, and afterwards everyone gets to go home. Now, youre not "cool" unless your "packing."

I didn't see anywhere in the article any mention of hand guns or "packing". Fact is, Denver is a big-time gang city, and young athletes often get tied in with big-time gang members. These types of tragedies happen when those relationships go wrong.

I live an hour south of Denver, and saw this kid play every Sunday. He was a great player, and always gave good, funny quotes. It's really a shame and a tragedy.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I just read he died in Walker's lap...

That is just a terrible ordeal for all involved. Very sad news.

I read a Q n A on williams an he was linked with Crips for a while. He wasn't IN the gang, jus associated with them. He stopped at age 17. I wonder if that played into this at all.

Was Javon hurt at all? I belive Williams and his gf/wife died.

Reaction score
The report on pft.com says Walker had Williams's blood on him... but Walker is otherwise fine.

It mentioned some scuffle between them and another group on the New Years party that may have led to this...

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being out after midnight the likelihood of trouble is greater.
From the poorly reliable ESPN:
There was an "altercation" at the bar and they were getting themselves out of the situation when this occurred.

ESPN said that Williams "used to hand out with Crips"

The whole story will come out soon enough.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reaction to the death of Denver CB Williams

NFL.com wire reports

(Jan. 1, 2006) -- The following is reaction to the death of Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams:

"He is in a limo, you think he's doing all the right things, he's not driving ... I mean, who shoots up a limo? But you've always got to watch your surroundings. It's a sad situation for him for that to even happen. That's some of the stuff you deal with when you're in the limelight, people get jealous for all type of different situations. Nobody knows what happens, but it definitely went too far." -- Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter, himself shot outside a Denver nightclub in 2003.

"He was a great guy. You kind of don't believe it at first until you get called a couple of times. The first one you're like 'Stop playing,' then you get hit all night about it and you start to believe it. He was a great dude to hang around with, a good friend. He was real outgoing, just a good guy." -- Houston Texans and former Broncos running back Ron Dayne.

"He was the greatest player I have coached in my 20 years. He wanted to prove to the world that he could play. ... He wanted to prove himself, and that's the way he approached every game. It was what made him a great player." -- Oklahoma State secondary and special teams coach Joe DeForest.

"He's a great kid, did a great job for us. I talked to a couple of (Denver) coaches this morning and a couple of our players that know him very well and it's very unfortunate. The kid had a great future." - Houston Texans coach and former Broncos assistant Gary Kubiak.

"All of us are devastated by this tragedy. To lose a young player, and more important, a great young man such as Darrent Williams, is incomprehensible. To lose him in such a senseless manner as this is beyond words. ... Darrent was a wonderful young man, and his passing is a great loss for his family, the Broncos and the city." -- Broncos owner Pat Bowlen.

"We all know that Darrent was an excellent player, but as a person, he was a first class young man who brightened every room with his smile, attitude and personality. I cannot express how heartsick I feel at this loss." -- Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan.

"I just want to take this opportunity to let the family members and everybody associated with the Broncos, let them know how deeply we are saddened as an organization and as players and coaches for the tragic event that happened last night." -- Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher.

"Any time you lose a guy who was close to everyone, it hurts. From the get-go, he was like one of your good friends." -- Broncos punter Paul Ernster.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Where is Williams gf? I'm confused. They say only one fatal, two others injured. But someone here said his gf died too.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:

This was so sudden. And yeah, Why do they give guns to random people so they can shoot people. Kinda sounds like GTA the video game. I always hate it when good players go, especially really young.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
javon was not hurt..as you can see in the above picture he was walking..a reporter at the denver offices saw him and said he looked to be walking fine and no visable injuries

Members online

Latest posts