Broncos trying to deal RB Bell

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BRONCOS TRYING TO TRADE BELL

Multiple league sources tell us that the Denver Broncos are trying to trade running back Mike Bell.

Bell was the starting tailback in 2006, at the start of the season. He was the No. 3 tailback until very recently. In the wake of the release of projected starting fullback Kyle Johnson, Bell and Cecil Sapp have been moved to fullback, with Sapp as the starter.

It's not known what the Broncos are seeking for Bell, or the teams to which they are talking.

I bet the Packers are in talks, they should be. It would be nice to get Bell, but not at any price.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think GB is gonna go after every RB out there. Don't we have like 6 right now?

Reaction score
Exactly why is Denver trying to trade Bell?

Bell displayed starter ability last year, and being signed as an undrafted free agent, he is very inexpensive.

So why wouldn't Denver want him to back-up Travis Henry?

Bell started as a RB, but was moved down the depth chart and is now a hybrid FB/RB.

You have to wonder how bad of an offseason/camp he had to drop so low on the depth chart after having a very good rookie season.

I think we're better off not trying to get Mike Bell...

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Bell displayed starter ability last year, and being signed as an undrafted free agent, he is very inexpensive.

Bell started as a RB, but was moved down the depth chart and is now a hybrid FB/RB.

You have to wonder how bad of an offseason/camp he had to drop so low on the depth chart after having a very good rookie season.

I am a Bronco fan as well, and Bell is a great back. He had a good season last year and for the right price, I think he would be a GREAT addition to our roster. Maybe there is something we don't know, but if he is 100% healthy and a decent price, he could easily be our #1 back.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Apparently another undrafted rookie, Selvin Young, caught Shanahan's eye... and now he's number 2 on the depth chart. That might explain Denver wanting to trade Bell.

DoddPower

Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Sorry, but I think Mike Bell is a waste.

You obviously don't know much about him if you truly believe that.

If you think he's a waste, then you would HAVE to think that Jackson, Morency, and especially Wynn are a waste as well.

Bell has as much, if not more talent then all of our backs.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

If you think he's a waste, then you would HAVE to think that Jackson, Morency, and especially Wynn are a waste as well.

Wynn is a waste.

I wouldn't call Jackson a waste yet. Let's see what he can do in the regular season.

I'm pretty certain that most Denver backs are the product of the system. Outside of Terrell Davis and Clinton Portis, none of them strike me as that talented. Mike Bell included. I'd like to see Bell here but I don't know if I'm looking at him as the "savior" of our running game. I think he'd be a nice compliment back to Morency when he gets back and I think Jackson could work as the 3rd down back.

Olandis Gary, Tatum Bell, and even Mike Anderson whom I was once high on are all products of Denver's amazing system in my opinion.

In fact I think Clinton Portis is the only one to really have success with any other team.

DoddPower

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think Bell would be the "savior" of our running game, but I do think he would provide us with a much better running game. A Morency, Bell, and Jackson combo has the potential to actually be far above average, as opposed to sub-par.

If you watch the guy, you can tell he has some talent, not just a product of the system. I'm not saying he's another LT, but I do believe he would greatly improve our running game, especially with our injury problems and the probability that injuries will continue throughout the season . .

Needless to say, make a move and replace Wynn!!

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bell would be a nice fit. No he would not be the savior, but he is a guy who has NFL experience and played in a ZB system and put up decent numbers. He would definatly allow Jackson to mature and Morency to fully recover by lightening their workload.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

You obviously never looked at where I'm from. All I saw last year were Denver Bronco games and boring Mike Bell.

He's a system back and no better than Ron Dayne, Olandis Gary, etc.

You can't say Wynn is a waste. He hasn't even played!

Bell isn't talented, he's average, and bringing in an average RB to run alongside our other 2 or 3 average RB's is a waste.

DoddPower

Reaction score
He's a system back

The system you are referring to is our system now.

Yeah, that's what I was saying!! He works pretty good in the system, which is why it makes sense.

And if you expect better things from Wynn then you would Bell in our system, well, you have fun with that . .

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a system back

The system you are referring to is our system now.

Yes, and my point is that that system creates 'good' backs from no-names and undrafted FAs.

My point when I say he's a waste is that it is a waste to trade anything or anyone for a guy who we already have the equivalent to on our roster, or can find on the street.

But I will say that Denver's ZBS is a system that has been established and has a foundation close to 10 years old. Ours is in it's second year, so I don't expect quite the RB-creating juggernaut in Green Bay yet.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers blocking is not Denver's blocking. Green Bay is still a bit of an amateur at runnning the ZBS. Denver is a pro at it.

That's how I'd compare the two.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Denver is changing its story?? Did they get calls or didnt they?

This was posted early Saturday morning..

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_6788486

A few teams uncomfortable with their tailback depth placed calls to the Broncos this weekend.

These teams noticed how the Broncos have moved Mike Bell to fullback. In 21st-century football, tailbacks carry the ball while fullbacks generally do not. Bell rushed for eight touchdowns and a 4.3 yard-per-carry average as a rookie backup last season.

Other teams wondered: Would the Broncos be interested in trading Bell?

Not likely. And they also want Bell as tailback protection.The Broncos want Bell to rotate with Cecil Sapp at fullback with the No. 1 offense

Then this was posted later in the day..

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_6794240

The Broncos realize Mike Bell is not thrilled with the fact he has permanently moved to fullback.

But they believe he can be a standout at the position.

"I think Mike can be a Pro Bowl fullback," Broncos coach Mike Shana- han said. "I really do. He can be a special player there."

The Broncos moved Bell from tailback to fullback last week. He is competing with Cecil Sapp to start at the position.

"I'm just sucking it up and trying to make the best of it," Bell said. "Now, it's my job to win the fullback job."

The Broncos have not heard from any teams wanting to trade for Bell, which is fine by them. They want to keep him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts