Bronco's P Todd Sauerbrun suspended

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
Bronco's P Todd Sauerbrun suspended for 4 games after testing positive for the banned supplement ephedra.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/9544477

Source: Broncos' Sauerbrun to be suspended
NFL.com wire reports
DENVER (July 7, 2006) -- Todd Sauerbrun ripped off his helmet and hurled it in disgust after shanking a 25-yarder at the Denver Broncos' minicamp.

The paltry punt was the least of his troubles.

Sauerbrun will be suspended for the first month of the season after testing positive for the banned supplement ephedra, a person close to the player said.

Sauerbrun will miss the first four regular-season games if his expected appeal is denied, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press because the NFL has not announced the suspension.

The 12-year veteran ducked into the Broncos' headquarters and avoided reporters by apparently taking a side door to the players' parking lot after lunch.

Coach Mike Shanahan said he wanted to wait for the appeals process to play out before addressing Sauerbrun's suspension. But he did say his players are well-versed in supplements: "Yeah, we talk about all those things quite extensively."

Sauerbrun, who also kicks off, will be able to attend training camp, which begins July 28, and can punt in the preseason. But he won't be allowed around the team during his suspension, which will cost him $328,000 of his $1.395 million salary next season.

Sauerbrun came over from Carolina last season and quickly fit in. He averaged 43.8 yards a punt, won a player of the week award and even forced a fumble with a tackle against New England.

"He's been very accepted," linebacker Keith Burns said. "I think this is going to hurt a lot of the veteran guys because I think he was becoming a guy who was well-liked in the locker room."

Kicker Jason Elam said he'll especially miss his sidekick on and off the field.

"He's fun to be around," Elam said. "Hopefully, something will happen on his appeal because he's a difference-maker. If not, we'll all have to pick up the slack until he gets back."

Shanahan seemed to indicate he'd find Sauerbrun's replacement on his roster rather than free agency.

"We've got some competition," Shanahan said. "Like I said, we're just going to wait and see. After we find out what the situation is, then I'll address it."

The leading candidate is second-year pro Paul Ernster, who tore a ligament in his right (kicking) knee last September when he was on the practice squad. Punters Jeff Williams and Tyler Fredrickson also will be in camp.

The NFL banned ephedra, a dietary supplement, after the death of Minnesota Vikings offensive tackle Korey Stringer during training camp in 2001. Players are tested and can be suspended after the first violation.

"I'm just pretty paranoid myself to take anything, even eat my dinner," Elam said. "You know, I understand what the NFL's trying to do, they're trying to make the playing field equal all the way around. I understand. It's just unfortunate when it happens to one of your teammates, to one of your friends."

Sauerbrun's name came up in a steroid scandal last year in South Carolina, where Dr. James Shortt faces a July 17 sentencing in federal court after admitting he conspired to illegally prescribe steroids to NFL players. Federal prosecutors have not identified any of the eight players, but say they have audiotaped conversations between Shortt and Sauerbrun and other Panthers players.

By the time reports linked him to Shortt, Carolina was looking to trade Sauerbrun after a series of on- and off-field distractions, including a drunken driving arrest and fines for being overweight.

Sauerbrun was a second-round draft pick of the Chicago Bears in 1995 and he showed up at training camp with the personalized license plate "HANGTIME." He was traded to Kansas City and then to Charlotte. From 2001-03, he became the only player since the NFL merger in 1970 to lead a conference in punting average for three consecutive seasons.

Elam said he's sure Sauerbrun won't allow his latest setback to adversely affect his career.

"He doesn't have the personality to go into the tank. He's very, very confident in his abilities," Elam said. "I think he's got the mind-set that he's going to play in this league a long, long time and this is just a speed bump."

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
cheesey said:
Now the PUNTERS are juicing!??!? LOLOLOL!!! :lol:
Quick! Lets get some for BJ!!! :wink:

Why for? He's not going to be punting the ball for the Packers this year :)

Well.....the way i see it........this will make it SURE that he won't be!!!LOLOLOL!!! :lol:

Members online

Latest posts