Broncos ask about aboout Walker&Packer Contract updates

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted Mar. 29, 2006

Broncos ask about disgruntled Walker & Contract updates of newly signed players- Boerigter, Davenport, Taylor & Cundiff

By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

The Denver Broncos apparently are looking seriously into trading for Javon Walker, though whether they will offer enough to pry the unhappy wide receiver from the Green Bay Packers is another matter.

Walker, 27, has vowed to never again play for the Packers because they twice refused to extend and improve his contract. Earlier this year, Walker went public with his wish for the Packers to trade or release him.

Denver coach Mike Shanahan has made informal inquiries about Walker, the Rocky Mountain News reported Tuesday, though there’s no indication he’s made an offer to the Packers.

The Broncos have extra picks in both the first and fourth rounds of next month’s NFL draft, but it’s difficult to think they’d part with a first-round pick for a player coming off surgery to repair a torn right knee ligament, as Walker is.

A Packers spokesman said neither General Manager Ted Thompson nor coach Mike McCarthy would comment about Walker. Both are attending the NFL’s annual meeting in Orlando, Fla.

Thompson appears averse to trading Walker mainly because he’s a quality player, but also because it could suggest to players they can be traded if they threaten to sit out.

Thompson likely would consider a good offer for any player, but Walker’s torn anterior cruciate ligament diminishes the Packers’ chances of getting anything close to the value they otherwise might receive for a player who was in the Pro Bowl barely more than a year ago.

Earlier this month, Thompson released a written statement about Walker that said, in part: “There have been several highly publicized cases of player discontent in the National Football League. I don’t anticipate us making any concessions in this matter.â€

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they dont trade Walker, we have to prove to these guys to stand by their contracts, and if they want to sit out then so be it. I think TT is doing the right thing here. Just make sure we have someone to replace Walker if he dont show. Other then that let him retire!!!

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes TT should be ******* this issue, if JW wants out he has 2 option:

1.- Play the season according to his contract, have a great season and then comand the big bucks.

2.- Wait, hold, come for the last games, by then MM should keep him in the weight room, running around the field, etc, he will not be even given the chance to get a pass during week trainings, and after the year sign a cheap contract with another team.

3.- Have guts and retire, then find a job unloading tomatos at Walmart.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say trade him if the offer is valid. If we could get Denver's second first round pick, which is almost a second rounder, and a third then do it. That would be good value and help the team more than being pig headed and not having anything.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check out what TT signed those 4 guys for. WTF. Four guys all for at or about the minimum and 1 year. Way to go out on a limb. Boy, do I feel better about the future!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
I say trade him if the offer is valid. If we could get Denver's second first round pick, which is almost a second rounder, and a third then do it. That would be good value and help the team more than being pig headed and not having anything.

yeah, we're all sitting here on the packers message board and saying we'll take a first and third rounder for walker. the problem with that is it will NEVER HAPPEN. yes, we know he's a great player, and the broncos know he's a great player, but he's damaged goods. we might get the 3rd round pick, but i doubt thompson will give him up for that little

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
paxvogel said:

yeah, we're all sitting here on the packers message board and saying we'll take a first and third rounder for walker. the problem with that is it will NEVER HAPPEN. yes, we know he's a great player, and the broncos know he's a great player, but he's damaged goods. we might get the 3rd round pick, but i doubt thompson will give him up for that little
I'd rather let him rot than take anything less than the 40th pick in this years draft!

Awfully generous of Shanahan to offer a 4th for him! Do the Donkeys think we are the Redskins?

Walker was a star in this league and will be again. He has prototypical attributes that teams look for in a receiver. I don't think he is going anywhere!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
bozz_2006 said:
paxvogel said:

I'd rather let him rot than take anything less than the 40th pick in this years draft!

Awfully generous of Shanahan to offer a 4th for him! Do the Donkeys think we are the Redskins?

Walker was a star in this league and will be again. He has prototypical attributes that teams look for in a receiver. I don't think he is going anywhere!

I totally agree. F him. it's outrageous that players think they're ENTITLED to contract renegotiations, becuase they play well. those rookie contracts are done for a reason. if you're a super star, great. play out your rookie contract then shop around once it's expired. he wants more money cuz of how he played in 2004. should we pay him less cuz he got hurt in 2005? he is a large bag of ******.

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
There is nothing in the article that could not be gained from this board.
It is only opinion.
Except for the fact that these guys get paid more to lift weights than billions of people average in a year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Denver is offering a 4th round pick for him...

Is he worth more? Probably.. Was Culpepper worth more than a 2nd. No doubt about it.

Is Culpepper worth more than Walker. Yes!!

Do the math. Green Bay will not be getting anything higher than a 3rd round pick for Javon Walker.

It's all about value..

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One year contracts are good because of these guys coming of injury. If they cant perform they are gone. instead of having dead money for a while.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Well Denver is offering a 4th round pick for him...

Is he worth more? Probably.. Was Culpepper worth more than a 2nd. No doubt about it.

Is Culpepper worth more than Walker. Yes!!

Do the math. Green Bay will not be getting anything higher than a 3rd round pick for Javon Walker.

It's all about value..

Right. and most of these people are so worried that we're gonna trade for less than he is worth. and if he is traded, it WILL be for far less than he is 'worth'. nothing we can do about it.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz is right...other teams aren't stupid...the team w/ the disgruntled player really doesn't have much power....so don't expect to get too much for Jwalk

Members online

Latest posts