1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Broke my right hand

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by MontanaBob, Nov 27, 2007.

1. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok Vikesfan....Montana came through for you with another screw-up. Saturday I worked the Montana-Wofford game here and it was cold and snowy and icy. While I was setting up the visiting team coaches sideline mikes I slipped and banged my hand against a railing on some steps into the locker room.
    No big deal. My hand was so cold anyway I didn't feel a thing...............at the time. Sunday it was sore and swollen, and yesterday at school the kids thought my right hand looked funny...like REALLY swollen.
    Went to the Dr. last night...x-rays...and a fracture of the middle carpal and a piece of bone floating around where it shouldn't be.

Now it's in a fiberglas cast and driving me nuts. So, tonight I'm going to get out the old Dremel Tool and use the cutting wheel and make this into a removable cast...one I can take off and scratch like hell, then put it back on. I think that should work. Everyone agree??
    One good thing out of this....it's snowing like crazy again and guess who's NOT going to shovel?

2. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Bob you sound like me now... everytime I come home from the doctors.. I get the grinding wheel, rotozip and toolbox out an make alterations to the doctors work on my leg... it pissed them off everytime I go back.. but they usually have something that rubs the wrong way. :)

Sorry to here about your hand though.. winter time is the worst with the dry air from the heaters... yep I would fashion some Velco straps on the cast so it can be secured in a zip and removed just as fast for those itches. :lol:

3. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly what I had in mind. Now if my wife will just do the cutting and not get the DT's...........!!!

4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,485
    sorry to hear it bud!!

I broke my hand 2 years ago right at the knuckle on my pinky. and they gave me a cast that I was ABLE to remove it to shower.

Not sure why they gave you a regular cast

My hand on RIGHt, normal hand on left

[​IMG]

5. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The Dr. knows I'm a PE teacher and active so he decided a small fiberglass cast would keep my hand immobile. HA!!!! Little does he know how my mind works.....for that matter neither do I!

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Bob Bob Bob.........what ARE we gonna DO with you!?!?
    (I would ride that "I can't shovel" thing all winter if i were you! :wink: ) :lol:

7. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bob,

I am right handed and broke my right radius at the beging of the month.

The orthopedic surgeon told me the cast is on until Christmas.

I pulled a long screwdriver from the tool box that works fine.

A retired lady offered me the use of a knitting needle.

There is no need to cut the cast. I do appreciate what you are going through. I can't sleep on my left side and twice have had odd dreams about being handcuffed because I sleep too long in one position.

I know your posts will be short for awhile doing it one handed.

8. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    That sucks Bob. Hopefully it heals soon. Atleast you don't have to shovel snow. :D

9. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh old people. You're so brittle.

10. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh Bob.......

Not wanting to point any fingers, but it sounds like things kinda got outta hand.
    You'll just have to knuckle down, or palm it off on someone else. :p

By the way, Cheesey wants to know if you wipe with your right or left hand. :rotflmao:

11. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to here about your hand, hope you recover fast. Sounds like it was very painful.

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey! Thats not funny! (well.....maybe a little!) :wink:
    Anyway.........back in the mid 1990's i had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder.........i couldn't use my right hand, which i'm right handed. You don't REALIZE how hard it is to do anything when you arn't used to trying it left handed! (Get your head out of the gutter!!! :wink: ) Brushing your teeth, eatting with a fork, wiping your butt........all seems almost impossible!
    I hope it works out for you Bob!

13. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    OK fans.....my cast is now a removable thing of beauty. My son in law came over last evening to help with the surgery and I must say we outdid ourselves. :shock: I only needed 12 stitches where the Moto Tool blade slipped a bit and went to deep. :lol:
    He just cut through the layer of fiberglas and then used a scissors for the rest. Nice straight line cut and the cast comes off easily. We glued three velcro strips around the cast and I can put it on with my left hand.
    So, now I can do those chores Cheesey and the rest of you were worried about. 8)

Now I just have to figure out how to keep the Drs. daughter (student of mine here) from seeing what I did to the cast. Sure as hell she'll go back and blad to her Dad....."You should see what Mr. F did to the cast you put on his hand." Blabby little second grade girls. :x

14. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah........kind of hard to blackmail a second grader. They haven't even been around long enough to do anything WORTH blackmailing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bob, Bob, Bob, I know that you really punched one of those pesky bison in the forehead.
    The football story was a good cover though.

16. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought most of you would buy that story!!!

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    So now we REALLY know why you are called "Buffalo Bob!!!" :wink: :lol:

18. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Bob my fingers are still screwed up and I can't fully curl them up yet.

Do you have any residual problems??

19. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No problems at all. Fortunately the injury was at the knuckle closest to the hand and other than some pain once in a while, it's fine.

20. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear you are doing better Bob. Can you still get out of shoveling snow is the real question.
    I mean in Montana you still have what 6 or 7 more months winter? 8 if you are lucky.

21. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's why I'm down in Roswell New Mexico right now. No snow here, but a ton back in Missoula. Maybe those damn squirrels will shovel my driveway before I get back.

22. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep they have to earn their keep that is for sure.
    If they are teenage squirrels just forget it. They will just raid the frig.

23. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    LOLOL!!! GOOD ONE!!! :lol: