Bright Spot from Buffalo - Brad Jones

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listened to the McGinn/Dunne podcast today and they highlighted how well Brad Jones played against Buffalo, calling him one of the "stars" of the week. I went back and re-watched and sure enough, he was in place several times to stop several 3rd down conversions. One game certainly doesn't make a man as this has been a terrible season for Jones, but my hope is that he's turning things around for the playoff run.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He can be useful on special teams and certain pass coverage situations sometimes. If we could get a forced fumble or even a fumble recovery out of Brad Jones I would be ecstatic.

what I hope we don't get is a 3rd down holding penalty that turns into a first down.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is he always looks great for 1 or 2 games a year and the rest of the time he just doesn't get it done.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The problem is he always looks great for 1 or 2 games a year and the rest of the time he just doesn't get it done.

Exactly. And when he gets bad, he gets real bad.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I listened to the McGinn/Dunne podcast today and they highlighted how well Brad Jones played against Buffalo, calling him one of the "stars" of the week. I went back and re-watched and sure enough, he was in place several times to stop several 3rd down conversions. One game certainly doesn't make a man as this has been a terrible season for Jones, but my hope is that he's turning things around for the playoff run.

There´s no denying the Buffalo game was Brad Jones´ best this season although he only played 11 snaps. I´m skeptical though he will be able to keep that going.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the reality is that the guy keeps getting hampered by injuries that really affect his game. The problem is that it's been tough to tell when he is and isn't injured. My honest opinion is that he's one of those players who has been fighting hard for a starting job (a bigger paycheck), pushing through injuries too hard, and not realizing that he's actually playing worse injured. The decline of Hawk pushes Jones into the spotlight more so we'll see if Capers is able to figure out a way to get the most out of this guy in down the stretch. Up until now, Jones is looking like one of the worst contract extensions of Thompson's career in GB.

H

HardRightEdge

Brad Jones is an experienced NFL football player with decent speed. You'd expect him to not miss plays at least from time-to-time. If they're able to put him out there situationally where he's likely to succeed, good for him and good for us as the playoffs approach.

However, since he has meaningful experience as an NFL football player, the assumption should be that he is who has been. We have ample evidence to show he's not productive play-in and play-out. And if you're looking for a guy to play downhill in base D in place of Hawk, Jones is not it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What did Jones do that was so outstanding last week? I saw him be involved in a few plays, but nothing that wow'd me. I've always liked Hawk and thought he took way too much flack from fans, but he is always on the field and does a lot of dirty work so playmakers can make plays. I guess that's his knock, everyone wanted him to be the playmaker, but it takes all sorts of roles to make a team go. I thought he always did his well. But it's become obvious that this year he is slower. he was never really fast to begin with, but made up for it with effort. Now if he has to play in space, the lack of speed is a bit much to overcome for him at this stage in his career.

But Jones isn't his replacement.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please, no more of this guy.
He's on my list of dead weight that needs to be shed this off season.

H

HardRightEdge

What did Jones do that was so outstanding last week? I saw him be involved in a few plays, but nothing that wow'd me.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/286295141.html

"The 28-year-old who struggled (while injured) at Seattle, and then at Miami, has worked his way back into the rotation on defense as the dime three of the last four games. In his 11 snaps against the Bills, Jones helped the Packers' defense get off the field three times. Twice, he tackled receivers short of the marker on third down. And then he broke up a third-and-8 pass to Fred Jackson, closing quickly."

As a dime ILB, he's playing the pass and he's playing what's in front him. Playing the run and running with TBs and TEs down or across the field has not been a good look for him for a couple of years now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jones actually looked decent during his snaps vs. the Buccaneers as well.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OMG weigh the good with the bad on this guy, and quite simply he has proven that he can not get it done. I find it ironic that he magically is beginning to show some semblance of decent play. Where was he when we needed him two years ago...MIA, and most likely we shall see him go unclaimed as a free agent.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My crystal ball shows him picking off two passes in the Super Bowl, the second one taken to the house to seal our glorious victory and him sharing the podium with Rodgers with confetti streaming down. The two of them raising the Lombardi trophy proudly. He's going to be on my desktop background for the next couple of years.

Just saying.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of Guion. Some Packers fans get so butthurt at players for having bad games that if that player plays well at any point they are utterly incapable of acknowledging it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts