Briggs Prepared to sit

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would we want to spend big time to upgrade the strongest part of our defense? Spending the money is fine, but put it toward a player that would make more of an impact.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Briggs is po'd that the bears franchise tagged him and he cant check the free market. Didnt the players union, wiht the CBA, agree to the franchise tag? Briggs should be hating on his union, not the bears. Realistically, if briggs sits out this year, the bears could tag him again next year and the following year. 3 times, according to the CBA. Bears have every right to do that. Briggs signed the original 4 year deal with the bears. If he thought that he was going to be so good, he should have gotten a better deal then. I hope that the bears take a stand and make him sit.
I also dont fault briggs. He is just trying to get his best deal possible. More power to him if he is successful. It is the American way.

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Briggs signed the original 4 year deal with the bears. If he thought that he was going to be so good, he should have gotten a better deal then.
The bears won't pay guys when they produce so why would they give a 3rd round pick a load of cash. I doubt they will be able to keep franchising Briggs because of expiring contracts of Rex,Vasher,Tillman,Berrian and tommie Harris. Harris should be getting a contract better then Kevin williams who signed for 7 yrs 50 mil 16 mil guranteed.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's REALLY hard for me to feel sorry for a guy that could make 7 million dollars next year, and is moaning about it. If he didn't just **** it away, he could put it in the bank and live off the interest. This whole "dissrespect" thing just makes me want to puke! If you can't live comfortable off 7 mill, theres something wrong with you.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
Briggs signed the original 4 year deal with the bears. If he thought that he was going to be so good, he should have gotten a better deal then.
The bears won't pay guys when they produce so why would they give a 3rd round pick a load of cash. I doubt they will be able to keep franchising Briggs because of expiring contracts of Rex,Vasher,Tillman,Berrian and tommie Harris. Harris should be getting a contract better then Kevin williams who signed for 7 yrs 50 mil 16 mil guranteed.

The bears have been active in FA the past couple of years. Mush, Tait, TJ, RMJ. They have also given good contracts recently to proven players ABrown, Urlacher, Kruetz. I dont think that they are cheap to their players. PLus, there is a little thing called the salary cap that most teams have to follow.

After next year, they do have a lot of good players coming due. THat is the main reason I wouldn't give briggs a big contract. The Franchise tag is perfect. Pay him for next year and then sign a few other guys.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fvre4mvp said:
4thand26 said:

The bears have been active in FA the past couple of years. Mush, Tait, TJ, RMJ. They have also given good contracts recently to proven players ABrown, Urlacher, Kruetz. I dont think that they are cheap to their players. PLus, there is a little thing called the salary cap that most teams have to follow.

After next year, they do have a lot of good players coming due. THat is the main reason I wouldn't give briggs a big contract. The Franchise tag is perfect. Pay him for next year and then sign a few other guys.

Boy you just summed up Briggs whole position. These players today want security. Briggs is afraid of being injured. If he plays this year for that tag, and then gets injured, he is f^@#ed. He's earned the contract and now it is time for the Mckaskeys to pony up, if not they should trade him. Briggs said it himself on NFL channel last night, the Bears don't want to pay both He and Urlacher. For once, I am actually siding with a player over an organization.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
fvre4mvp said:
4thand26 said:

Boy you just summed up Briggs whole position. These players today want security. Briggs is afraid of being injured. If he plays this year for that tag, and then gets injured, he is f^@#ed. He's earned the contract and now it is time for the Mckaskeys to pony up, if not they should trade him. Briggs said it himself on NFL channel last night, the Bears don't want to pay both He and Urlacher. For once, I am actually siding with a player over an organization.

I agree with what you say from Briggs point of view. He takes the 7M, gets hurt, and gets no more. If he can force the bears to move him, he could sign a contract with 20M upfront. HOWEVER, the Mckaskeys are playing by the rules set up and agreed to by the union. They are 100% in the right to do what they are doing. Also, the bears would be foolish to tie up that much money in LB by giving briggs a huge longterm deal. Force him to play next year by giving him a very fair 1 year deal, and then pay Harris and Berrian the following year.