Briggs Prepared to sit

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok Briggs has now said he has played his last snap in chicago.

I know its been mentioned other places. but hear me out.

Now let me say this. I am fine with our current LB corp. i think they are talented, young and will work together fine like they are. and in my opinion are one of the best young groups in football. and quite frankly i dont wanna mess up the chemistry and what not.

but none amongst us can deny... Briggs/Barnett/Hawk. is THE best linebacking corp in football. especially with Popp, Taylor as backups.

i know chicago would never deal him to us,
i know we are happy with our current group
i know TT would probally not make this move as he would cost above what hes worth
and i know its a lot like bringin javon walker in to play for us.

however... you know briggs would jump at the chance to tear apart the team he apparently hates twice a year. and he is a fine specimen of a linebacker.

i just want a discussion... i dont want to hear why TT sucks, or why this will never ever happen... because i already know TT sucks and i know this will never ever happen.

is there anyway it could happen, and would you want it to?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know........i can't help but wonder if Briggs is really that good, or is it because he plays with Urlacher, which opens up alot more chances for him to make a play.
And being disgruntled, makes you wonder if he would pull the same crybaby crap here.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Let me say, being forced to watch some Bears games last year, Briggs was the best LB on the field for them. Plays the game with a passion on the field, but apparently is gready off of it.

Could it happen, anything could happen but highly unlikey. Would that make our defense that much better? OLB that truely change the game are few and far between to comand the type of money that he would want. He played all over the field, but somehow I think he had $ signs lite up all over in his head. He turned down a 6 year/ 30 million plus deal already. Give to money to Barnett and keep build the core we have. IMO.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a sad day when a guy will turn down $7.2mil for one year playing LB. Of course, he watched the looney money being handed out and wanted what HE thought was his share. I'd be surprised if he's the only guy in this league who feels this way. His problem is that DaBears are as tight as the Packers. It'll be interesting to see who blinks first.

OP
OP
P

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think this is a highly overlooked thing when people complain about Green Bay not paying for Free Agents.

Say we did sign Lavaar Arrington last year for a lot of money... then what happens next year when Barnett or Hawk wants his share of a ridiculous salary. just because Lavaar already got one.

so i think another part of the management inactivity during the offseason has to do with keeping the current core of players happy.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Briggs is a *******.

The cap is going up next year so as crazy as the prices have been this year, in 2008 they will be crazier which means more $$$$$$$$$$$$4.
All he has to do is begrudgingly accept $7,000,000 (god help him) to play for the bears this year, he can play as half assed as he likes, its basically irrelevant.
Then in 2008 sign on for the mega bucks somewhere else.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Briggs is a *******.

The cap is going up next year so as crazy as the prices have been this year, in 2008 they will be crazier which means more $$$$$$$$$$$$4.
All he has to do is begrudgingly accept $7,000,000 (god help him) to play for the bears this year, he can play as half assed as he likes, its basically irrelevant.

Its more a principle type thing for him...He was promised in the past they would re-do his deal and they never did..

He has only played in the nfl for 4 years..

Near the end of his 2nd season he wanted to re-do his deal, team said when the season is over we will do it..They never did...

Then same thing in 3rd season, a promise to do it and they didnt...So this was his 4th year and he was fed up with it..

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:
Briggs is a *******.

Its more a principle type thing for him...He was promised in the past they would re-do his deal and they never did..

Near the end of his 2nd season he wanted to re-do his deal, team said when the season is over we will do it..They never did...

Then same thing in 3rd season, a promise to do it and they didnt...So this was his 4th year and he was fed up with it..
fair enough but sure the best things come to those who wait

Pack93z

Reaction score
Tiger said:
Briggs is a *******.

Actually they tried to redo his deal last year before and during the season, offer was like 6 yrs / 33 million dollars, so they did try to lock him up and redo his contract. Here is the deal, he is pissed that he isn't getting the large signing bonus (cash now) and "Guaranteed" money. There is more to this story there has to be, he must really not like someone within the Bears organization. Or may he is tired of dark blue and orange:)

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw a good chunk of an interview yesterday, and he said that the contract he was offered in 06 was less than he's worth, in his opinion. He never held out, and played his a** off for four years at the league minimum salary.

I think he feels like he's earned the right to test FA, where, let's be honest, he should get waaaaay more than a 6/33 deal.

If he was indeed promised a re-worked deal, the organization should honor their word and pay him large.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Well they could sign him to a 8 year 80 million dollar deal in which the player will never see a majority of that money or he could sign a realistic deal and achieve the bulk of the money in the contract.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not worth the money, we should spend it elsewhere. And the Bears are as tight as we are, I'm thinking the Redskins might pick him up.

And I can't believe no one has mentioned the Dolphins LB core, Taylor, Porter, and Thomas. How scary is that!

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well they could sign him to a 8 year 80 million dollar deal in which the player will never see a majority of that money or he could sign a realistic deal and achieve the bulk of the money in the contract.

That's a great point. But in Lance's case, I think that it's an issue of him feeling disprespected by the Bears, because they haven't given him an opportunity to pursue what he feels he's earned.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not worth the money, we should spend it elsewhere. And the Bears are as tight as we are, I'm thinking the Redskins might pick him up.

And I can't believe no one has mentioned the Dolphins LB core, Taylor, Porter, and Thomas. How scary is that!

In regards to the Pack signing him, I'd say yeah, he's way out of what we'd like to pay. Also, keep an eye on this, as I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see this same type scenario play out with our very own Five Six.

In regards to the Dophins, I have two words. Retirement Community. :rotflmao:

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:
Briggs is a *******.

Exactly, its the lack of respect that has him ready to give up 7 million next season. Its the fact that he was promised something and they lied to him. Would they dare do this to Brian Urlacher? I dont fking thing so. And Briggs is at least as good as him. Urlacher has his 40 50 60 million in the bank. He is set if he blows out his knee tomorrow. Teams take care of certain types of players and Briggs just is not one of those players. Even though he is as good if not better than Urlacher, hmmmm, interesting. What could it be.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now let me say this. I am fine with our current LB corp. i think they are talented, young and will work together fine like they are. and in my opinion are one of the best young groups in football. and quite frankly i dont wanna mess up the chemistry and what not.

but none amongst us can deny... Briggs/Barnett/Hawk.

Who plays the strong side? Who plays the weak side? Hawk would have to play the strong side probably. Briggs cannot play the strong side in my opinion. Barnett in the middle. That means the Packers wasted the 5th overall pick on a strong side LB? That doesn’t look good, at least on paper.

Also keep in mine we still have to pay Barnett. So GB pays Briggs. What does that do for Nick Barnett? Probably a slap in the face to someone who's given his heart to this team for the last 4 or 5 years. It just wouldn't work unless the Packers were to move to a 3-4 and move Briggs inside with Barnett and Hawk and Poppinga on the outsides. Then the Packers would have to make coaching changes this late which would disrupt everything in my opinion.

I will say had GB picked Vernon Davis or Michael Huff instead of A.J. Hawk last year, this would be a different story.

Pack93z

Reaction score
How is paying him in the top 5, repeat top 5 LB for next year a slap in the face. It is fully vested when or if he signs the tender, so he is guaranteed 7 million plus dollars for one season's of work. If your that pissed about it sign the 6 yr contract they had on the table with over 15 million of it guaranteed.

Slap in the face, WHATEVER!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is paying him in the top 5, repeat top 5 LB for next year a slap in the face. It is fully vested when or if he signs the tender, so he is guaranteed 7 million plus dollars for one season's of work. If your that pissed about it sign the 6 yr contract they had on the table with over 15 million of it guaranteed.

Are you referring to my post? If so, Did you read it? All of it? If the Packers sign Lance Briggs to the contract you just stated above, How do you think Nick Barnett is going to take it?

EDIT: I see what you were getting at now. :thumbsup:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, that's nice, but what about 10 million for one season's work? Add to that 21 mil in guarantees, and a potential life of 8 years, and niether of those look that exceptional, at least to me.

Clements' deal is/was ridiculous. No way Briggs would've commanded that, I know. But the fact that that kind of deal is out there is what makes it tough to accept a one-year, temporary deal.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:

Are you referring to my post? If so, Did you read it? All of it? If the Packers sign Lance Briggs to the contract you just stated above, How do you think Nick Barnett is going to take it?

EDIT: I see what you were getting at now. :thumbsup:

Yep not on your post at all, no way he fits into the Packers structure at all I agree... Barnett with be our blockbuster $ LB:)

Pack93z

Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Yeah, that's nice, but what about 10 million for one season's work? Add to that 21 mil in guarantees, and a potential life of 8 years, and niether of those look that exceptional, at least to me.

Clements' deal is/was ridiculous. No way Briggs would've commanded that, I know. But the fact that that kind of deal is out there is what makes it tough to accept a one-year, temporary deal.

Well two reasons I don't agree with Lance on this one...

1. He had a deal on the table that have over 15 million in guaranteed dollars... so don't talk about financial security and long term, LOL... give me a break if you can't live on 7 million let alone 15.

2. Shut your yap, sign the deal with the same understanding the Clements had last year, I will accept the Franchise tag this year and won't complain if you either sign me to a long term deal on my terms or let me hit the market.

It tells me Lance is more interested in his "props" than busting his tail and playing ball. Respect.... the franchise tag should be a symbol of respect, you mean enough to the club that they can't lose you.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he thinks they don't care to have him for the long-term though and, probably, he is worried that if he gets hurt this year he won't be any good on the open market next year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts