Brian Westbrook is still available

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I seen this rumor awhile back and had forgotten all about it. Green Bay sounded (and still does) like a great fit to pick him up? You would think his price would go down seeing as its now August 2nd and still no team has signed him. So TT make the case we already have a playoff caliber team and you want to give Westbrook the chance to help us win a championship. I think he would be a terrific fit, since after Grant we have a big drop off, and B. Jackson hasn't done much this off season to give us great hopes. Last year we had Green to take some balls to give Grant breathers, having Westbrook would be very nice.

PackerBacker4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like jackson as our backup. great receiving skills and pass blocking. Give him some more carries and let him develop. he needs to stay healthy tho

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
I have said "no" to BW in the past but now I'm not so sure. If Starks continues to have hammy problems it may be a good idea to IR him for the year and get him right for next year. If that is what needs to be done, then a guy like Westbrook I think becomes an interesting idea as a stop gap guy who can be a role player. Don't know how much they'd have to pay over vet minimum since nobody seems to have shown much interest.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have said "no" to BW in the past but now I'm not so sure. If Starks continues to have hammy problems it may be a good idea to IR him for the year and get him right for next year. If that is what needs to be done, then a guy like Westbrook I think becomes an interesting idea as a stop gap guy who can be a role player. Don't know how much they'd have to pay over vet minimum since nobody seems to have shown much interest.
Agreed.

Westbrook is only an option if someone gets hurt. But with Denver's situation, I expect him to sign with them.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Westbrook wants a chance to compete for a Super Bowl, he'll choose us or the enemy purple. Not Denver. I know his buddy Brian Dawkins is there, but they all know Denver has no chance of going to a Super Bowl.

Our rookie James Starks hasn't played a down since 2008, and he's missed almost 2 1/2 months now with a bad hammy. That's months, not weeks. All players recover from injuries differently. Some faster, some slower. This guy seems to be of the Justine, I mean Justin, Harrell category. And he's not been tackled once yet, still missed over 2 months.

If Westbrook isn't seeing stars anymore in his head, he'd be a lethal change of pace back, outta the backfield. Let Jackson still play most 3rd downs, pass protecting mostly, but we all know and have seen Westbrook change games with big plays. He singlehandedly beat the Vikings in the playoff game in 2009 in Minnesota with the one short pass>long TD. If his head checks out, I say sign him and render Starks to the DL, I mean IR. We've done that before many times, Deshawn Wynn and Kregg Lumpkin.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
theres a reason he is still available.
You can say that about anyone. You could say that about Aaron Rodgers in his draft when he was still available at pick 10, 15, 20, 22, 24, etc.

You can say that about Drew Brees 5 years ago when Miami passed on signing the street free agent Brees and instead decided Daunte Culpepper was a better addition.

And there were reasons why Charles Woodson was available for many months in his free agency year.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can say that about anyone. You could say that about Aaron Rodgers in his draft when he was still available at pick 10, 15, 20, 22, 24, etc.

You can say that about Drew Brees 5 years ago when Miami passed on signing the street free agent Brees and instead decided Daunte Culpepper was a better addition.

And there were reasons why Charles Woodson was available for many months in his free agency year.

no you cant. rookies? they havent played so of course there are going to be gems. Brees was available bc of a very serious injury and because SD had a franchise QB already. Woodson was signed in April! Plus he was also coming off of a season ending injury.

The reason he is still available is because he is 30, has NEVER played a full season, and has a concussion syndrome. Will someone sign him? Most likely but hey Shaun Alexander is available too lol

Members online

Latest posts