Brett's Mental State...

Reaction score
Another thread on Brett Favre and the retirement talk.

But this is a little different. Brett said he knew he still had it physically, but wasn't so sure about the mental side of the game. Well while watching a sports channel up in Canada, they brought up a very good point:

Brett in the past 3 years has been through a lot. First of all, he broke his thumb. Then he tragically lost his father and brother-in-law. He found out his wife had Breast Cancer. He lost a great friend in Reggie White. Then, the whole Hurricane Katrina tragedy, and having to hear about his family being stuck through that.

When Brett refers to, for lack of a better statement, having mental burnout, does he mean from football or from the simple fact that he has had to face tremendous tragidies over the past few years?

I know a terrible season couldn't have helped his situation, but Favre is a warrior. He is a competitor. He has NEVER turned away from a challenge. And I would expect Brett to look at this team and say "last year we suffered every injury imaginable, but this year were going to be back and prove everyone who counted us out wrong". But that is cleary not the case this year.

IMO, I think Brett might looking to get out of football for the simple fact that he(and rightfully so, IMO) wants to put his life first. It is hard to deal with death, family tragidies, etc. while being away from your home. And it's come to the point where Brett must wonder "What on earth could possibly go wrong next". Before this past season, Brett stated that he was just looking forward to playing a season of football without any distractions. But yet again there were off-field distractions. I think Brett might now feel as if Football season is bound to bring personal problems. And that is what might be so tough on him mentally.

Brett has faced a lot in the last 3 years or so. He has faced a lot more than what many other people face. Could it be that those tragidies have finally taken a mental toll on Brett, and hence he was refering to not being sure he can bring it mentally? I would like to know how your opinions on this issue.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about.....I think Brett is having trouble committing to the Packers for another year or so because the Packers haven't really conveyed their full plans yet. I am not knocking TT or MM. It's just so early in the new regime, that it's hard to envision which direction this team is going. I do think the recent visit to Brett probably was a step in the right direction.

I obviously am not privy to the conversations between MM and Brett or TT and Brett, but if you listen to MM and TT's version they don't really talk about football. I know they are trying not to pressure Favre but Brett IS a football player. I think he WANTS to talk football....."Hey Brett we're really excited to get back to a true west coast offense where you have thrived in the past and will thrive again in the future. We are really going to put an emphasis on being competitive today, not 3 years down the road. Our new defensive coordinator is going to continue.......blah, blah blah...." You get the point. This may come with time.

I don't think his personal tragedies in the past will have much bearing on his future. Every one of those things would have happened whether he was playing football or not. Brett has played football for so long that I think his professional life and his personal life have kind of meshed together.

Brett doesn't want to retire. If he did he would just say "I retire". He wants to get excited about football again. It's up to Thompson and McCarthy to convince him that the Packers can win now.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Brett wants to play. Play for a contender.

I think he is torn, between wanting another Super Bowl crack and ruining his legacy in Green Bay. I think if Brett could be released he would love to be in the Bronco's camp in August, then throwing the ball to T.O. in a December Denver Blizzard.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think he'll be a RAAAIDDAHHH!!!

Throwin' TD's to Randy Moss!!

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I heard Brett say in an interview he absolutely doesn't want to play for another team. but hearing Mort say Brett's worried he might get to week 3 or 4 on a struggling team and think, "What the hell am I doing this for?" Sounds to me that he's got a lot of self-doubt about his mental commitment.

I think if there were any way he could assured that the team will be competitive that he'd love to keep playing. Unfortunately that's really not possible.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Maybe we outta make a forum section about Brett :p heh

Heelntoe said:
Well, I heard Brett say in an interview he absolutely doesn't want to play for another team. but hearing Mort say Brett's worried he might get to week 3 or 4 on a struggling team and think, "What the hell am I doing this for?" Sounds to me that he's got a lot of self-doubt about his mental commitment.

I was thinking the same thing.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the more we try to convince ourselves that Brett may play for another team, the more likely we are to have a mental burnout. How many times does the guy have to say it's play as a Packer or retire? He doesn't want to learn new things or play for a team that isn't committed to winning. The Packers are committed to winning, but are they committed to winning next year? That's the question Brett wants answered before deciding.

Man, I'm tired of the Brett playing for another team crap but continue on...I'm not in the position to tell ppl how to post and opinions need to be respected...

Members online

Latest posts