Bretts INT's in Perspective

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was board and, did some looking hope my math is ok.

Career 7611 Passing Att INT 255 3% of Passes Picked
2005 607 29 4
2003 471 21 5
1999 595 23 4
1998 551 23 4
1996 543 13 2
1995 570 13 2

As I thought back to those years Brett has always had INTS stack up relative to his ATT. This bears out and would make sense since the more you throw the more likely you are to be picked off. Also Brett has averaged about 15-20 picks a year so there was not a real drop off this year taking everything into account. Also looking at the years of Low picks were directly attributed to a running game being active and intacted.

He also had a better copmpletion percentage this year than he did in 1996 and 97 the Superbowl Years

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more you throw, the more TDs you should have too, but this was one of his lowest totals of tds ever.

Yes, talent was lacking, yes, running game at times lacking...but the timing of his picks was pretty bad this year which is what concerns me more than the raw #

This is water under the bridge though, this year is over...next year is a new year and I expect Brett and the coaches to correct some of his mistakes and Brett to come back and be as good as ever.

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett is always a interception thrower. He's one of the few QBs that has the balls to throw the ball into insane situations. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
The more you throw, the more TDs you should have too, but this was one of his lowest totals of tds ever.

Yes, talent was lacking, yes, running game at times lacking...but the timing of his picks was pretty bad this year which is what concerns me more than the raw #

More attempts dont correlate to more TDS. I think the more you throw the more oppurtunities for bad things to happen. IMO. I would also like to see yards per att I think Bretts over 20 yards was up this year as well.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
musccy said:

More attempts dont correlate to more TDS. I think the more you throw the more oppurtunities for bad things to happen. IMO. I would also like to see yards per att I think Bretts over 20 yards was up this year as well.

The more you throw, the more completions you should have, and the more chances for a receiver to break a tackle and get into the endzone. It's a two way street.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Musscy...

Leave it to you to totally skew the facts and reality.....to put all the blame on Brett Favre....

What you said..(and other posters have said) have no basis in fact. They are just pure conjecture made up to support your biased attacks towards one of the greatest QB's in Packer history....

Rave on..musscy and net and IPB..et. al...it doesn't make a difference...

Your statement..."The more you throw, the more TDs you should have too, but this was one of his lowest totals of tds ever."..has no basis in reality...

It's just some **** you made up...

YOu have more TD's...if you can score in the Red Zone.

You score in the Red Zone because you have talented receivers and imaginative play calllers...neither of which, Favre had the luxury of this year....

I'm tired of people making **** up and blaming it on Brett Favre....

(This is the kind of thing that would make him sign with another team next year...!)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Musscy...

Leave it to you to totally skew the facts and reality.....to put all the blame on Brett Favre....

Here he comes, to save the daaaaaaay

(sorry boys, we wont have any favre criticism here. HE IS A GOD!)

just messin, favre 66.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not at all concerned with Brett's int's as long as McCarthy gets involved in coaching him and the recievers come back healthy.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those numbers do put it in perspective somewhat, but why did you leave out 2000-2002 and 1997?

Favre sure had a huge number of attempts this year, which does partly explain the high INT total. But musccy is right that the TD's should have been higher as well.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Those numbers do put it in perspective somewhat, but why did you leave out 2000-2002 and 1997?

Favre sure had a huge number of attempts this year, which does partly explain the high INT total. But musccy is right that the TD's should have been higher as well.
was just doing a sample they all ranged from 2% to 5%. As far as more TD's that logic would suggest that the more miles you drive the more tread you should have on the tire. You all are aware that in travel the more miles you drive the odds of accident are higher. Was just saying that for the most part This year with lack of Depth at wideout and no running game caused the more likely hood of INts. I bet also if I looked at the game video the amount of picks attributed to tipped balls and recievers not fighting for the ball you could take away 10 of those picks and add 4 more wins. and about 5 tds.

Bottom line is Football is a game of efficency. The Pack was not at all efficient in what they were doing. I dont even think it was WC offense looked like Viking Ball this year with no recievers to help out.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66...

stop contorting what I'm saying

All I'm trying to say is that you can't just twist the stats in one direction...

if you're going to say more throws naturally results in more ints, due to more opportunities for tipped balls or jumped routes or whatever, then the same logic should be applied to touchdowns since more attempts likely results in more dbs falling down leaving wide open receivers, or more broken tackles turned into large gains and or TDs, etc.

A qb who throws 600 passes should have more ints AND tds than one who throws 200 passes

That's basically all I'm trying to say...I'm not now, nor was I ever blaming the season on Brett.

Yes, I have said that he made some critical mistakes at costly times in games this year, but that does not equate to "brett blew the season."

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listen Musccy I appreciate your response to my post I do see your logic. I will say that BRETT DID blow some games. He also held us in Games.

This years Pack was like watching a Carmegia in a WRX race. Did ok in the turns but sucked in the stretch

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jbshell...

for every tipped ball resulting in a pick there's another ball that hit the db in the hands but was dropped, but ppl don't account for that...

And if you're going to adjust the # of ints, then we should do the same with TDs...why should a qb get credit for a td if he threw a screen at the 40 and the rb broke 6 tackles to get in the endzone?

OK, I'm not serious about my last statement, but it illustrates my point...it's a two way street...and just as wrs can, at times, be blamed for picks, they should be given a lot of credit for tds as well....or if you pass the buck on ints for a qb, then take away some of the credit for tds too.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jbshell...as for the blowing games comment...I didn't mean to bring it into this thread, but Pack66 and my squabbles always wind up stooping down to that topic...

for what it's worth, my opinion on that issue...Brett did keep us in some games, but also made some very costly plays at key junctures, just like a number of other players this year (e.g. Fergusson, Longwell, aww hell...everyone on the roster). So although the brunt of the blame should not lie on Brett's shoulders, he also should not be excused from criticism for what transpired this season.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does anyone think Manning, Brady, Hassellbeck or any other QB would have looked like playing for this offense this year? How many more games would we have won/lost?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
What does anyone think Manning, Brady, Hassellbeck or any other QB would have looked like playing for this offense this year? How many more games would we have won/lost?

I doubt they would have thrown 5 picks and faked out 21 players on the field with a fake spike v. cinncy

Nobody denies the lack of talent that this team had contributed to the decline in stats, but at the same time, not all the blame can lie on the lack of talent...and Brett still made some very boneheaded costly decisions at the end of games this year...just as did a number of other players on the roster.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is why I think that some of you just don't understand the game of football....

In order for a QB to be successful in this league he has to 5 things....

1. An offensive line that can pass protect...
2. A good running game....
3. A talented, experienced receiving corps that can run good routes and get separation from the DB's..(especially in the red zone...)
4. A coach who can mix it up and call good plays to keep the defense off balance and exploit its weaknesses...
5. Talent and ability...

Now tell me Musscy..et.al.....which one of these things did Brett Favre have this year???

(I'll help you out...it's #5..!!!)

When the other team seems to know which play you are going to run like they're in your own huddle, and they consistantly take out your only playmaker (DD) with double coverage, AND...they single cover your receivers tighter than a ******'s honeypot....WHAT DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN??

Touchdown City????

If you think so...then you don't understand football...and should stick spreading lies by using "statistics"...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, it gets real old having to defend Brett Favre to "PACKER FANS".

I know a ton of eagle fans that feel the eagles would have won a couple Super Bowls the past 5 years if they had Brett Favre instead of McNabb. Unbelievable.......eagle fans appreciate the man more than SOME Packer fans.

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah some of you are sounding like Eagles fans. They turn on their beloved players at a drop of a hat. As a Packer fan I just would like to say Favre is my god and he is still one of the top QB's in the land.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah DePack..and Aces..

Wasn't it TO who said that if the Eagles had Favre they would have been in the SB this year...?

Say what you will about the man..but you can't argue with his reasoning on that one!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Attaboy Aceschnd. How are things in Lancaster. My son is trying to narrow his college choices and Franklin and Marshall is after him for football and baseball. He's also looking at some of their competitors....Gettysburg, ****inson and McDaniel among others. Any advice? PM me.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack...if my criticism of a player no longer makes me a packer fan, then there isn't a single packer fan on this board.

I'm soooooo sick of repeating the same thing Pack66...you neglect to read what I write...yes a lack of talent contributes, but a lack of talent does not explain the DECISION MAKING that was displayed at times by Brett. Throwing to Fergy while triple covered on 2nd down at the end of the eagles game is not a wise move.

And the TO comment means nothing to me...he thought McNabb was the greatest thing since sliced bread at one point too, but now they can't speak to each other.

Listen, Brett has, still does, and still will do some great things for the team. However, his gunslinging mentality at times hurt the team this year and at times was a contributing factor to some of the losses this year...just like Longwell's missed fgs, Carrolls penatlies, Fergy's myriad problems, the interior lines inability to block, etc.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon musccy...go back and read your post out loud. Does that sound like a Packer fan? I don't doubt your loyalty to the Packers. I guess I just don't understand your disrespect for Favre.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
C'mon musccy...go back and read your post out loud. Does that sound like a Packer fan? I don't doubt your loyalty to the Packers. I guess I just don't understand your disrespect for Favre.

DePack...

I don't think that questioning the performance of one player equates to a lack of loyalty. A lot of ppl think Fergy sucked this year...are they not packer fans?

To clarify, Brett was not the main reason for 4-12...the team was injured and sucked. However, some of his performances like v. Cinncy, some decisions v. the Bears, final drive v. Philly...proved to be very costly, and I'd expect a 15 year veteran to be making some wiser decisions at key points in the game. I focus on Brett so much only because he gets so many free passes from the coaches and fans and I don't think that's fair...a mistake is a mistake no matter who is the guilty party.

If you want to improve, you have to correct mistakes which involves recognizing the mistake as well. This applies to EVERYONE...Longwell, Driver, Carroll, KGB, Barnett, and even Brett. That's all I'm trying to say, and it's not meant to be disrespectful, so I apologize if it comes off that way.

Members online

Latest posts