Brett what is your choice.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truly hope that Brett Favre comes back for another season. But I also hope that we can lay to rest the retirement talk. I just wish that whatever he decides to do, that he comes forth and talks about it. As an example, would he like to play another year, two, three, or more? And I say that because I think the talk of whether Brett will retire or whether he will come back has become a huge distraction for this team. I believe he can play at a high level for a few more years yet, but not if his head isn't totally in the game. And truthfully I think the team deserves his total honesty. The Packers have been very good to Brett.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that it does come to end either way too. I'm getting tired of waiting each year. I can understand it a little more this year,he just wants to see if the team is going to go in a rebuilding mode. I hope he finds out soon and lets us all know!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know any of you from Adam or Eve, but let me pose the question. Will all of you be able to say to your employers that you will work three more years and then retire? I think there are a lot of people in the work force that take it year by year when they get to this point. I know it bothers some of you not to know his decision but it's a huge one from his standpoint and I don't blame him for not wanting to commit to something he's not quite ready for yet.

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He holds up the team by his indecision. I don't like it. Frankly, if last year was any indication, he won't be good for three more years. I only hope he does better this year. He didn't seem to know how to handle a team of rookies. If he's coming back only to make a run for the Super Bowl, I think he'll retire. Even if we surge, with our injured players back, we aren't going to be the Steelers or the SeaHawks next years. I kind of think if's selfish of him to only come back if he thinks we can win the SB. I know I"m in the minority (and don't care), but if we have to beg and plead for him to return, after the horrendous year he had, I'd rather start rebuilding. Soon enough, he will be just a nice memory.

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL. Hate the Viking, laughed when the Bears lost in the play-offs. No, I'm a Packer fan from way back, but I'm future-oriented. I personally don't feel bringing Brett back will bring us a SB. We're not ready yet. I also want to see if AR can play or if he sucks. If so, we need to draft another QB for when Favre actually does retire. Hopefully, if he comes back, he'll play with more enthusiasm this year since the injured players will be back. I love Brett for all he's done, but last year the entire team sucked and I took a lot of heat from my family in Illiniois. That was brutal!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PPierce said:
He holds up the team by his indecision. I don't like it. Frankly, if last year was any indication, he won't be good for three more years. I only hope he does better this year. He didn't seem to know how to handle a team of rookies. If he's coming back only to make a run for the Super Bowl, I think he'll retire. Even if we surge, with our injured players back, we aren't going to be the Steelers or the SeaHawks next years. I kind of think if's selfish of him to only come back if he thinks we can win the SB. I know I"m in the minority (and don't care), but if we have to beg and plead for him to return, after the horrendous year he had, I'd rather start rebuilding. Soon enough, he will be just a nice memory.

So PPierce..let's go back to my point if we can. Is it expected of people in the workforce to be able to tell their employer how many years they are going to work or should they be able to retire when they know it's time? Here's the real kicker: if GB doesn't want Favre back, they can simply cut him.

My next comment is this: if we expect Favre to tell the Packers his future now, should we ask that of every other player who is under contract? Rob Davis maybe? How about Will Henderson? Oh, I know...they should find out how long Driver plans on playing so they can map out the draft 6 years down the road, this way they can start scouting 10th grade wide receivers out of high school...I'm being a smart-*** here I know, but I believe Favre should take his time to make the decision within reason so long as the Packers can reasonably move on if he does retire by making some personnel decisions.

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
I don't know any of you from Adam or Eve, but let me pose the question. Will all of you be able to say to your employers that you will work three more years and then retire?

I can give you the day right now and it's still 24 years away.. :shock:

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rmayer32 said:
NDPackerFan said:
I don't know any of you from Adam or Eve, but let me pose the question. Will all of you be able to say to your employers that you will work three more years and then retire?

I can give you the day right now and it's still 24 years away.. :shock:

Sounds to me like you love your job! :wink:

Anyway, I don't think it's fair to make an employee commit to 'X' number of years at the end of one's career. Brett will make the decision when he's ready...I think he's earned it. I don't like the fact that he probably relishes all this "will he or won't he" stuff, but that's the way it is.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe it's different with Favre because of his age and years in the league. By saying I'd like to play three more years, as an example, doesn't mean he will. What it shows is some intent. What he is in essence doing now is playing games with the Packers and mostly their fans. He's been playing these games for the past few years now. Lets be realistic. He's a great quarterback who can still play the game. However, the past few years haven't been among his best. Even though he can still play at a high level he hasn't. The problem that I see is because of his stature with this team and because of the weight he carries and the impact he has made on this organization, everyone is on thin ice with him. How do we treat Brett? Do we beg him to come back? Do we push him out the door? How do we do that? Brett has always been a class act and I've just been mildly disappointed with what has happend the last few years with talk of retirement. Either do it or don't do it, but whatever, do something.

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you love your job! :wink:

Am I that obvious? :)

Anyway, I don't think it's fair to make an employee commit to 'X' number of years at the end of one's career. Brett will make the decision when he's ready...I think he's earned it. I don't like the fact that he probably relishes all this "will he or won't he" stuff, but that's the way it is.

I do agree with this.. I think it would be rough to be a player like him and have to face the future of suddenly not doing something you've been doing since you were a kid..

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did this last season. When he came back he said he felt great and could play for a number of years to come. So what? Do you want a promise? How about a promise that he will never be cut. NFL contracts are written so that teams can cut players on a whim. So why should a player have to promise that he will be around for the next x years? Every year he is going to address his situation, just like everybody else in the league.

Hell, I'm willing to bet that some of my employees are evaluating their situations day to day. They better be, because I certainly am.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
He did this last season. When he came back he said he felt great and could play for a number of years to come. So what? Do you want a promise? How about a promise that he will never be cut. NFL contracts are written so that teams can cut players on a whim. So why should a player have to promise that he will be around for the next x years? Every year he is going to address his situation, just like everybody else in the league.

Hell, I'm willing to bet that some of my employees are evaluating their situations day to day. They better be, because I certainly am.

Right on the money with this one DePack...

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree DePack.. If it weren't for the media "overhyping" the crapp out of this every year nobody would even give it much thought I'm sure.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see where Favre's situation has caused any distraction to anyone other than those that just want his decision now. TT made the decision to go with a new staff and MM is busy putting that together. Period. He hasn't even had a chance to start player evals or put his head together with TT on where they want to go in the draft,etc.

They will need to know what Brett is going to do before the combines and before FA opens up and have already said they are very confident that Brett will make his decision before he would every put them in a bind.

It cracks me up that so many wonder why MM hasn't talked to Brett yet. I think it's kind of important he at least knows who his coaches are and gets somewhat familiar with the players he has to work with before he goes to Brett who has already said "I want to know what direction they intend to go next year". So until MM has time to look at everything how could he have anything meaningful to talk about.

I think all Brett is wondering is if they are willing to go into FA and pick up a couple of guards to shore up the line or not. I don't think he has an interest lining up behind someone "with a little playing time can be good" or, a rookie that "just needs to learn the pro game". He'll let Rodgers deal with that.
They lost two guys they couldn't replace and BF and the Pack suffered dearly for it. I would want to know what they plan to do about too.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
PPierce...

You're really a Viking fan now....aren't ya?

You are really Joseph McCarthy, aren't you?

McCarthy has found his new grazing land within the Packer fan population,
the
Purple hunt is on!!!!!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't blame the media for the circus that has arisen around Brett. He's a superstar and he's a HOF QB and their job is to print what the know. Here is where I have a problem, Scott Favre comes to the media and tells them that if the Packers want Brett back then someone should come down there and tell him. Ok. Has Brett told them he'd like to play another year or two years? I don't think so. Brett has kind of created this because of his mysterious approach to his supposed retirement. Again, I don't want the guy to retire, but if he is going to do that, then do it! Let's not sit around and ponder. And if he retires, let's build the next statue in front of Lambeau field and salute the man for all he's done. If he's not going to retire then lets fill some holes and win some games.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is just chilling out in Mississippi. He always likes to get away from the game for awhile after the season ends. It helps him put things in perspective. I seriously doubt that he even WANTS the coach or GM or anybody to pay him a visit. Do any of us here want to visit with our bosses when we're on vacation?

I think it was reasonable last year for Sherman to give Favre till the beginning of free agency to inform the team whether he would play or retire. Favre did not make his decision till afterwards, however. This year, I hope he can decide a little earlier. He's earned the right to take his time, but it does become a problem once free agency begins.

I don't pay much mind to what Scott Favre says. Who among us would want our brother to be our spokesperson? Not many, I bet. And I doubt that Brett is any different. If he had something to say, he would say it himself.

Members online

Latest posts