Brett settles lawsuit

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...favre-reaches-settlement-in-****-text-dispute

A lawsuit filed by two massage therapists alleging that Brett Favre's lewd text messages cost them their jobs has been settled out of court, the Associated Press reported.
Lawyer David Jaroslawicz didn't disclose any of the financial details regarding his clients, Christina Scavo and Shannon O'Toole, and Favre, but he said that the matter was “resolved and discontinued.”

Question-

If innocent and have enough money, why would someone settle out of court?

That is a very serious question...Personally I would fight like hell to make sure the people can't "legally" rob me

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because sometimes math. You have two options: A) Spend a lot of time on lawyers, time worrying about the outcome, and god knows what all coming out in court while under oath. B) Less money, quicker, and some assurance that nothing comes out.

It's often cheaper to settle. It's quicker. And think about every last skeleton in your closet. Those details could come out if they aren't directly related to the case.

Finally, in a civil case, the barrier of at-fault is lower than guilty in a criminal trial. Preponderance of evidence is all that is required. You can think of it as "51% likely," which is far, far lower than "beyond reasonable doubt."

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I don't think they made enough to retire that's for sure. They did not have a very strong case. Since neither one of them received text messages themselves. All they did was lose their jobs along with the third one that did get the messages. It's a stretch. Cheaper to settle than pay your attorney to fight it.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Because sometimes math. You have two options: A) Spend a lot of time on lawyers, time worrying about the outcome, and god knows what all coming out in court while under oath. B) Less money, quicker, and some assurance that nothing comes out.

It's often cheaper to settle. It's quicker. And think about every last skeleton in your closet. Those details could come out if they aren't directly related to the case.

Finally, in a civil case, the barrier of at-fault is lower than guilty in a criminal trial. Preponderance of evidence is all that is required. You can think of it as "51% likely," which is far, far lower than "beyond reasonable doubt."

You and Raptor answered my question..

I figured it had to do with cheaper to settle than pay to fight..

But that begs the next question...Why not fight so those idiots do not win?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe he was guilty as charged.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I typed out the exact phrase word for word to someone, and he right away assumed I was saying Brett was guilty..

Funny how people perceive the same exact question..

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Well if you pay, it hits the press for what, two maybe three days and goes away. Say $50 thousand each. Two weeks from now most people will not even think about it. You fight. It becomes a protracted legal battle, in the news every other day for weeks. Cost's you $150 k in attorney fees and you still might lose. I think it is the lesser of two evils approach.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if you pay, it hits the press for what, two maybe three days and goes away. Say $50 thousand each. Two weeks from now most people will not even think about it. You fight. It becomes a protracted legal battle, in the news every other day for weeks. Cost's you $150 k in attorney fees and you still might lose. I think it is the lesser of two evils approach.
Sad but true. A lawyer can tie up the litigation for so long it would cost a small fortune to fight.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...favre-reaches-settlement-in-****-text-dispute

Question-

If innocent and have enough money, why would someone settle out of court?

That is a very serious question...Personally I would fight like hell to make sure the people can't "legally" rob me
Because he A) wasn't innocent and B) those text messages are CLEAR evidence. Can't argue with them unless he wants to claim he was hacked into and someone else sent them....

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Because he A) wasn't innocent and B) those text messages are CLEAR evidence. Can't argue with them unless he wants to claim he was hacked into and someone else sent them....
The thing is, none of the text messages went to the two people who filed the lawsuit. I think they would have had a hard time connecting Brett's text's to another person with them losing their jobs. Guilty of sending text's to one person, more than likely. Those texts having a bearing on two other people losing their jobs, which were contract in nature, that's a stretch. And really, you are a masseuse in New York, you can't find work? I don't buy it.

Edit: Apparently one of them did get texts from Brett.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
The women had a legit ****** harassment lawsuit against an old pervert who liked sending young women pictures of his d**k. It's not a stretch of the imagination to conclude if he sends pics of "Favre Jr" to one woman he would send them to other attractive women.

The man is an embarrassment to the uniform but his followers usually wind up finding a way to blame the women instead of the Messiah.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did you not answer your own question? It's a lot cheaper to settle. Sometimes people do a cost-benefit analysis and realize it's just cheaper and less stressful to do it this way. This goes hand in hand with not fighting to make sure "idiots" don't win...sometimes it's just not worth it and you can't spend your money fighting everyone.

Eminem put it best - "it's getting expensive being on the other side of the courtroom on the defensive" ;)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another part of this is that there is movement from the Packers organization to bring Favre back into the mix, retire his jersey, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they told Brett that none of this would happen until all of his legal entanglements were closed. It's going to be enough of a poopstorm for Mark Murphy and TT to navigate without having a ****** harassment lawsuit complicating matters

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you not answer your own question? It's a lot cheaper to settle. Sometimes people do a cost-benefit analysis and realize it's just cheaper and less stressful to do it this way. This goes hand in hand with not fighting to make sure "idiots" don't win...sometimes it's just not worth it and you can't spend your money fighting everyone.

Eminem put it best - "it's getting expensive being on the other side of the courtroom on the defensive" ;)

So if I sued you for 5000$ for slander..You wouldnt defend your self, but give me 4000?

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Another part of this is that there is movement from the Packers organization to bring Favre back into the mix, retire his jersey, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they told Brett that none of this would happen until all of his legal entanglements were closed. It's going to be enough of a poopstorm for Mark Murphy and TT to navigate without having a ****** harassment lawsuit complicating matters
They're going to have enough trouble trying to keep down the boos from the crowd.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
New member here, glad to be here. So, my first question is ... how strict are the rules around here, with regards to what we can and can't say about Favre?

With in the rules, all is fair game

Not unlike another forum that devotes it's time to Brett fans

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of times people will settle out of court in order to avoid a public meeting in open court. It is not an automatic assumption that the party is guilty, it just means they didn't want the case to go to court or trial because they wanted to avoid the publicity such a trial would cause. I honestly think it's a smart move for Brett to make, it's sensible. Given what's already occurred the last thing he would need is a public trial. I'm not saying that's what would of happened in this particular instance, I'm just saying it is one of many reasons why high profile individuals would settle out of court.

H

HardRightEdge

Does anybody think Favre can see his way clear to apologize for not showing for work on time several years running, not preparing adequately, and throwing too many key interceptions because he overvalued himself in clutch time?

Members online

Latest posts