Brett says he doesn't play for records...but

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I didnt click the link because every time I go to jsonline i have to create another phony email user account, but is that the article that basically says if brett stays on his averages he'll have every major passing record in 44-48 games?

OP
OP
G

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here slick i'll save you the trip..

Records near if Favre stays on
Desire to play holds the key
By ROB REISCHEL
Special to Packer Plus
Posted: Jan. 12, 2005
Green Bay - One by one, he's moved up the various lists. He's passed John Elway here, and Fran Tarkenton or Warren Moon there.

Now, if Brett Favre chooses to keep playing football, it won't be much longer before he makes a serious run at all of Dan Marino's passing records. After a stellar 2004 season, Favre has moved into either second or third place in almost every major passing category.

Favre threw for 30 touchdowns for the eighth time in his career this season and passed for 4,088 yards - marking the fourth time in his career he eclipsed that mark. Now, if Favre remains healthy and decided to keep playing, he'd likely break most of Marino's records sometime during the 2006 season.

"I don't know how much it means to you while you're going through it," Green Bay quarterback coach Darrell Bevell said. "You're really not in it to pile up your stats.

"His durability stat is one that's important to him and then the wins are the ones that are important. I think once he's done and he decides to sit back one day and see what he's accomplished, I think it will kind of sink in and mean a lot more to him."

Here's where Favre stands today in most of the major passing categories and when he might realistically catch Marino:

Touchdown passes
This is the Granddaddy of them all, like Hank Aaron's home run record or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's scoring mark. And Marino has to be looking over his shoulder right about now.

Marino leads the way with 420, but Favre is gaining quickly with 376. Fran Tarkenton, who Favre passed in 2003, is a distant third at 342.

Favre has averaged 1.799 touchdown passes per game, meaning it would take him 24.46 games to catch Marino. That means if Favre stays on the pace he's at, he would throw his 420th TD pass shortly before halftime in the ninth game of the 2006 season.

Career pass completions
Favre began the year fourth all-time in this category, but vaulted past Elway and Moon and into second place. Marino leads the way with 4,967 completions and Favre now sits at 4,306.

Favre has averaged 20.60 completions during his career, which means he'd need 32.08 games to catch Marino. That would be the season-opener in 2007, a date most believe Favre will have retired by.

But Favre averaged 21.63 completions in 2004, and if he maintains that pace, he'd catch Marino in 30.56 games. That would be midway through the 15th game of the 2006 season.

Career passing yards
Unless Favre plays another three full seasons, Marino figures to be safe here. Marino finished his career with 61,361 passing yards, Elway is second at 51,475 and Favre moved into third this season with 49,734.

Favre has averaged 237.96 passing yards per game, meaning he'd need 48.86 games to catch Marino. That would be the season opener in 2008.

This season, though, Favre averaged 255.5 passing yards per game. If he maintained that pace, he'd need just 45.51 games to catch Marino, which would be the 14th game of the 2007 season.

Career passing attempts
Favre sits in third place with 7,004, behind Marino (8,358) and Elway (7,250). Favre has averaged 33.51 passing attempts per game over his career, meaning he'd need 40.4 games to pass Marino. That would be the ninth game of the 2007 season. At his current pace, Favre would move past Elway for second place in the eighth game of the 2005 season.

Consecutive starts
Favre set this record in 1999 and has been building on it ever since. His streak of 205 starts in a row is now almost double the old mark of 116 held by Philadelphia's Ron Jaworski.

Indianapolis' Peyton Manning, who hasn't missed a start in his seven-year career and has moved into third place all-time with 112, might challenge Favre for this record down the road. In fact, if Favre eventually passes Marino in some of these categories, it's Manning - who threw a league record 49 touchdown passes this season - who will likely then take aim at many of Favre's marks.

"I think if Peyton stays healthy, he could challenge all of those," said Doug Pederson, Favre's long-time backup who spent most of this season on injured reserve. "He would be the next one to challenge those."

Most overall victories
Favre moved into sole possession of third place this season with 135 victories. Elway is first at 148 and Marino second at 147. Favre's Green Bay teams have averaged 10.46 victories per season since he arrived in 1992, meaning he'd likely need until sometime in the 2006 season to overtake the leaders. But if Green Bay had a huge season in 2005, Favre could vault to the top.

Best home record since 1967
Favre dropped from second all-time to third this season after the Packers were a disappointing 4-4 at Lambeau Field. Favre is 83-19 lifetime at home, for an .814 winning percentage. Pittsburgh's Terry Bradshaw is first (.848), followed by Dallas' Roger Staubach (.831).

Favre has always insisted he doesn't play for records and says where he finishes in these categories isn't important to him. But for those who play with him, the numbers are an amazing accomplishment.

"I'll be able to tell my kids and grand kids when I'm done that I played with one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the National Football League, if not the greatest," wide receiver Donald Driver said. "I think once it's all said and done, Brett will be the greatest quarterback ever."

Added guard Mike Wahle: "Brett's got to go down as one of the top two guys in the history of the game, in our opinion. How can he not be?

"He's a three-time MVP. Every time he steps on the field he gives his team the best chance to win. He's won a championship. He's really done it all. At this point he has all the accolades individually and as a team."

If he chooses to keep playing, Favre isn't far away from having even more.

:mrgreen:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Weird now my post doesnt have the text. Either these boards are trippy or we have a **** admin running amongst us!! heh heh :puke:

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I took it down because it was wicked long and I think we can read the big story before it. Not to step on your toes by any means!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ryan said:
I took it down because it was wicked long and I think we can read the big story before it. Not to step on your toes by any means!

Nah, the step on toes feeling didnt come up, I guess saying **** admin lead you the wrong way. But it is proper to note you edited a users post so they don't go crazy while they are at work trying to get away with using the internet for non work related purposes. NOT that i would EVER do anything like that. but ya know.

:)

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha my bad, I should have dropped a note in. I try not to do stuff like that on a regular basis though.

Members online

Latest posts