Brett on Koren Robinson

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From ESPN.com

Updated: Oct. 18, 2006, 8:00 PM ET
Favre angry that NFL turns its back on Robinson

Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre sharply criticized the way the NFL handles substance abuse problems Wednesday, a day after teammate Koren Robinson was suspended for the season, apparently because of a drunken driving charge.

"I'm not against banning him for the year. I'd love for him to play, but to boot him out, clean his locker out and say you can't have no contact with this team?"
-- Brett Favre
"I don't like the way the league has, in my mind, turned their back on him," Favre said. "I'm not against banning him for the year. I'd love for him to play, but to boot him out, clean his locker out and say you can't have no contact with this team?"

Favre, who entered the NFL's substance abuse program during treatment for an addiction to painkillers in 1996, said it doesn't make sense that the policy bans his teammate from the Packers' facilities "and the support group that can help him."

NFL spokesman Michael Signora said the league had no comment.

The league's policy includes a stipulation against consuming alcohol while participating in its substance abuse program. Robinson apparently violated that before being arrested Aug. 15, when police said the receiver's blood-alcohol content was 0.11 percent, above the legal limit of 0.08.

He pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges of drunken driving and fleeing police in a high-speed chase near the south-central Minnesota town of St. Peter.

In the eyes of the NFL, the difference between Favre's case and Robinson's was that Favre sought help under the league's substance abuse policy and voluntarily entered a treatment facility after suffering a seizure while in the hospital for ankle surgery.

Favre wasn't subject to punishment, only periodic drug testing used for treatment. He also complained after treatment about being banned himself from drinking when he was in the NFL's program, though he made a conscious effort after his treatment to quit drinking to prolong his career and be a good family man.

Still, Favre said the league's decision on Robinson doesn't seem to be in anyone's best interest.

"I'm no expert, but I would think you would want for people to reach out to him and be within an organization that can help him as opposed to saying, 'You're banned from the building. To make matters worse, we don't even want you over here, so go think about it and deal with it on your own,"' Favre said.

Robinson said as recently as Monday he didn't expect to be suspended, but the league moved quickly against him. He did not return a phone call Wednesday.

His agent, Alvin Keels, said that Robinson is in a "state of shock" and thought the league would wait to hand down its punishment.

Robinson had caught seven passes for 89 yards and averaged 21.1 yards on 12 kickoff returns in four games for the Packers this year. He is eligible to be reinstated no sooner than Sept. 18, 2007.

Favre said Robinson told him last week that despite his troubles, he thought he had a lot of years left. Favre responded that he wished he could have played with Robinson earlier in his career.

"[He's] really a great guy," Favre said. "It's unfortunate that he has to go through this, but maybe it makes him a better person. Whether or not it makes him a better player remains to be seen I think the most important thing is his health and his family."

The suspension leaves the Packers without a proven No. 3 receiver with Ruvell Martin and other players expected to fill in with Robert Ferguson still on crutches after a foot injury.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At first, I didn't think it was a big deal, the media shows Brett ordering a sandwich and it makes ESPN. But after I thought about it, Koren has been there for three games, and his QB speaks out for him. Brett went out of his way to defend his upcoming WR, and to say what a great guy he really is.

Or maybe he is just upset he lost another WR. But I doubt it.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly does seem counter-productive to completely cut the guy off from a very likley and helpful source of support. Still - the rules are the rules and both Robinson and the team knew the rules when they picked him up. He either had alcohol while in the program or he didn't. It doesn't seem to matter if he is convicted of DUI - he could have still been drinking, just not legally DUI.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett has been through it with alcohol and treatment. He knows the struggles with Koren Robinson. This guy is being denied a chance to redeem himself.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
like you said packinsteel...this was more or less expected, and c'mon...koren had 3 strikes...at some point the nfl has to say enough is enough

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett is right it is stupid that they took away some support from his team mates he could have had if he was allowed to pratice and his locker was still there.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they have video of bretts words on espn.com and i loved it. favre hasnt been a very vocal leader in his career, except the last few years, but i looooooooooove what hes doing\saying here. Hes putting it right on the NFL. Yeah he is suspended, and he deserves it, but to not let him work out, and travel with the team, and not allow him in the building, it doesnt make sense.

Hopefully they change their tune on that, as this is getting(and will get) some good publicity (that happens when favre talks).

I wonder what MM and TT are doing, if anything. Id hope they are backing favres words, placing some phone calls, *****ing a little bit, but as usual, none of us know what goes on behind those closed doors(although some think they do)

Hopefully things work out, koren stays sober, and can contribute next year.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this maybe proves that J-Walk wasn't worth keeping. Koren was obviously a guy worth backing up and made a good impression on his teamates so I see the two being different. Didn't see to many people backing up Javon when he had his contract issues

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Favre\Driver\Greg\Ahman and other vets woulda been a great set of guys who woulda been there for koren and woulda kept him in line (so to speak). He wouldnt get that from the Love Cruise Crew...they'd add to his problems

-Favre - he's been there, his advice is priceless to koren.
-Driver - a pro, a role model
-Jennings - a young guy, competitor, someone to look at to see how things can be done, no matter who you are or how old you are.

(how does jennings get mentioned in every thread? My apologies..)

Hopefully this all works out, cuz im a little upset at the NFL now, and if GB(tt\mm) dont raise some hell, i'm gonna be more upset.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i can see exactly where bretts comeing from. if you want to help a guy you cant just throw him on the side like that. i dont think this will help much.

i agree trom they have to rais some hell.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy Brett back KRob. From the league's point of view...What can ya do?

But I like that Brett stood up for this guy. I think it might go a long way. We are going to have this guy for a few years, and it would be nice if he reached his potential in green and gold.

Now Brett should speak out on the conservative playbook in the NFL that gets teams into trouble. Wow, that Cards game was rough. Run-run-run yourself to death.

When will teams learn. I know, I know---off the subject. Just making a little joke...

But the NFL would be a lot better with that mentality gone...

Teams trying to protect leads often blow them with three and out run-a-thons...Just my 2 pennies...

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett is 100% correct, IMO. The teammates have been CLASS with K-Rob such as Manuel, Favre, Driver, Harris etc etc and they can very well be the key that gets K-rob over his problem and what does the league do? Tell him to go away. I can understand him not playing, but not having contact is pure horse manure in my view.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett is 100% correct, IMO. The teammates have been CLASS with K-Rob such as Manuel, Favre, Driver, Harris etc etc and they can very well be the key that gets K-rob over his problem and what does the league do? Tell him to go away. I can understand him not playing, but not having contact is pure horse manure in my view.

Agree with you here fully. It's silly, and it's especially silly that the one group of people who could help him with his illness the most is the group of people he's not allowed to have contact with. I agree with the suspension, I don't agree with the forced isolation.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're right cory and I wouldn't be surprised to see the league change their tune on this. Suspend him from playing in the games and maybe even from practicing with the team but don't take away his support group, unless your only concern is with the image of the league and not the man.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Brett, they of course had to punish Robinson, but they just ripped out his support system, I think some of the guys would have been able to give some great advice to Robinson and just to have your team there for you to root you on is a great help...

I hope the league rethinks this, punish the man but let him still workout and be part of the team, he needs that support...

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Brett, they of course had to punish Robinson, but they just ripped out his support system, I think some of the guys would have been able to give some great advice to Robinson and just to have your team there for you to root you on is a great help...

I hope the league rethinks this, punish the man but let him still workout and be part of the team, he needs that support...

I agree that it sucks to rip out support for the players that need it the most.

I think the reasoning behind this is that the suspended player would continue to practice with the team, but not get paid. In essence the player would be working outside of his contract. This may have to do with the Players' Union or the teams' insurance more than the league just wanting to punish these guys.

As for the punishment side, it's obvious. A player cannot continue to develop his skills while under suspension by practicing with the team.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, I am going against the crowd.

I think the NFL tried to help Koren and he turned his back on the NFL, his teammates on the Seahawks and his teammates on the Queens by allowing his disease to threaten his career.

Lets see how loyal of teammates the Pack really are. If they support him by spending time with him away from the field, that is TRUE support. Not just letting the guy back into the clubhouse.

The NFL behind the scenes can be a pretty crazy place. Ask the screw-ups in MN. It actually may be in K-Rob's best interest to not be around all the hype.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
Again, I am going against the crowd.

I think the NFL tried to help Koren and he turned his back on the NFL, his teammates on the Seahawks and his teammates on the Queens by allowing his disease to threaten his career.

Lets see how loyal of teammates the Pack really are. If they support him by spending time with him away from the field, that is TRUE support. Not just letting the guy back into the clubhouse.

The NFL behind the scenes can be a pretty crazy place. Ask the screw-ups in MN. It actually may be in K-Rob's best interest to not be around all the hype.

I agree with you that the NFL can be VERY crazy...as with all professional sports. My worry is that Koren will not stay in GB but go back to his hometown where everyone is worshiping him, using him, etc. At leasst in GB the pace is slower and the guys on the team will keep him more accountable.

I think people who lose their job because of drinking tend to go further into the bottle. that worries me.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:

You're right cory and I wouldn't be surprised to see the league change their tune on this. Suspend him from playing in the games and maybe even from practicing with the team but don't take away his support group, unless your only concern is with the image of the league and not the man.

Not to mention it takes his concentration away from football all together. I hope for his sake he goes back to NC and spends time with his kids and family.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And that's just it. The league is more interested in protecting its own image than in doing what's best for the player. Players should either be supported by the league or banned by the league. This current policy may be some kind of unhealthy compromise between the league and the players union.

Swamper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think no matter what the NFL or Packer team would do to help this player, it's still a crap shoot.

Let's be real people, the guy has a serious problem, makes it worse by not following the support systems rules, flees from police in a high speed chase, is surrounded by a world of vices and is distant from his family.

I don't have much sympathy for this guy. There's plenty of support and resources for this professional football player. Most don't have that good fortune. Even with all the support in the world it doesn't make a difference until this guy makes the choice to stop drinking. He hasn't hit his personal bottom yet.

I think he was treated fairly. I think they treated him based on the rules that were established. How often have you heard about a job loss due to achohol. It's a common story.

There's no way to predict what would happen if this player would have been allowed to stay with the team.

The NFL followed the pre-established rules and the guy got caught with a DUI. The NFL's hands are kinda tied here.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's great that Brett is standing up for K-Rob, when his other infamous comments about a certain former GB wideout were in contrast to this. Kinda funny.

P.S. Someone should consider changing this thread title. It's been said before that this forum is not equipped for any male-on-male business. With, of course, one exception. ( See Jennings, Greg)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I think it's great that Brett is standing up for K-Rob, when his other infamous comments about a certain former GB wideout were in contrast to this. Kinda funny.

P.S. Someone should consider changing this thread title. It's been said before that this forum is not equipped for any male-on-male business. With, of course, one exception. ( See Jennings, Greg)

Big difference between Walker and Robinson. Walker just didn't want to honor his contract and ****ed the Packer organization. Robinson wants to play for the Packers and hasn't done anything detrimental to the Green Bay Packers. The man needs help and Favre is trying to throw him a lifeline. Walker was just being a greedy, selfish "teammate". Favre called him on it.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good for Brett,

If anyone knows what is needed to help turn someone's life around when they are going through a substance abuse issue; it is Brett and if there is a player out there that is big enough that the NFL will have to take notice of; it is also Brett,

Cheers for standing up for your team mate Brett :thumbsup:

Members online

Latest posts