Brett not ruling out '08 return

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, why wouldn't he? He's playing some of his best football and this team is on the upswing. These are his last few chances at some more championships. Favre and the Pack are hot right now.

I feel sorry for A-Rod because I'm sure he wants to get out and play too, not be a first round benchwarmer, but it's good to have a solid backup around in case the unspeakable happens (Favre gets injured - too injured to actually play).

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that Favre would retire after this season UNLESS Green Bay wins the Super Bowl and he wants to end his career on that note.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he comes back. But until he announces it, I will continue to appreciate every time he drops back to throw a pass. If he does play next year, its bad news for Packers opponents, and good news for EVERYONE else.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no clue whether what I'm going to say has any validity, but when in Green Bay last Sunday the talk was that Thompson has told Brett he wants him back, but he wants him back for two or three years and he wants it announced so that we don't go through this, "is Brett retiring" or "is Brett coming back" stuff again. Apparently what Thompson wants is a commitment. Is there any truth to that? I don't know, but it sounds good to me.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got an idea...if you don't like to discuss or read about this topic so early or whatever, don't click on a thread labeled "Brett not ruling out '08 return". Sound good?

I say Brett comes back. He's found a fountain of youth with this particular group of receivers and the running game now looking respectable the last few games.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no clue whether what I'm going to say has any validity, but when in Green Bay last Sunday the talk was that Thompson has told Brett he wants him back, but he wants him back for two or three years and he wants it announced so that we don't go through this, "is Brett retiring" or "is Brett coming back" stuff again. Apparently what Thompson wants is a commitment. Is there any truth to that? I don't know, but it sounds good to me.

I love Brett, but I must admit if there is truth to what you are saying it seems fair. Both the fans and management must be tired of going through the ringer every offseason. It also allows TT to make decisions on A-Rod whether to let him walk and draft a QB, or try to sign him prior to his contract expiring. The circus around Brett at the end of the year (and post season) can become a distraction which is something the team does not need while they have a legitimate chance at making it to the SuperBowl.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
It begins.

Yeah..and some people still think that Favre should be traded so that we can start AROD... :roll:

Really? Who thinks that? With the way Brett's had this comeback year of awesomeness, I doubt anyone feels that way right now.

Oh, were you baiting? Did I screw it up for you? I apologize.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

I love Brett, but I must admit if there is truth to what you are saying it seems fair. Both the fans and management must be tired of going through the ringer every offseason. It also allows TT to make decisions on A-Rod whether to let him walk and draft a QB, or try to sign him prior to his contract expiring. The circus around Brett at the end of the year (and post season) can become a distraction which is something the team does not need while they have a legitimate chance at making it to the SuperBowl.

The supposed "distraction" doesn't seem to have hurt the team this year !!

Maybe TT should lay off asking for future commitments now, while Brett should be focusing on the game at hand instead. If this is true, than Ted's timing seems like more of a distraction to Brett than the other way around !!

Flame on !!

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:
tromadz said:
It begins.

Yeah..and some people still think that Favre should be traded so that we can start AROD... :roll:

Really? Who thinks that? With the way Brett's had this comeback year of awesomeness, I doubt anyone feels that way right now.

Oh, were you baiting? Did I screw it up for you? I apologize.

Not at all.

Wasn't baiting. Wasn't saying you suggested this at all.

Are you baiting me by suggesting this is a bait thread? :shrug:

I'm just stating that there are still people out in Packerland who feel this way. I've seen it. I've heard it.

Sorry, but I'm not bitin' your bait....

I believe this whole Favre retirement thing is blown way of proportion by certain people on these kinds of forums. I believe that it really doesn't matter that much to the GM or the team, as much as these hysterical fans believe, and I believe that God made little green apples...

(and I believe it's time for Yared-Yam to remove "#1 Ingle Martin supporter" from his signature..) :lol: :thumbsup:

How about it? Anyone with me..?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I doubt that Thompson would ask for any kind of commitment from Favre. It would be meaningless anyway. At Favre's age, he has to take it year by year. It is his prerogative to do that. Even if Favre made a commitment, what if one year down the road, he thought his body just wasn't ready for another season of playing at a high level? Then he would have to back out of his commitment.

Just for the record, I think this is actually kind of late for the Favre retirement talk to get started. In previous years, it has started earlier, sometimes much earlier. It's been delayed this year because the team is doing so well, so there are more interesting stories for journalists to cover. That includes the excellent performance of Favre himself.

I don't think this is a bad subject for discussion, though. It is one thread among many.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When is Rodger's contract up? If I were him, I'd want out. Yeah, he's getting paid to stand on the sidelines and watch Brett Favre, but I'd actually want to play. He's known as the guy who's waiting for Favre to retire. I couldn't be that guy.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When is Rodger's contract up? If I were him, I'd want out. Yeah, he's getting paid to stand on the sidelines and watch Brett Favre, but I'd actually want to play. He's known as the guy who's waiting for Favre to retire. I couldn't be that guy.

Would you rather see Favre retire this year, Nathaniel, so that you can see Rodgers start for GB?

Maybe we should have a poll?

Would be inneresting... :lol:

Members online

Latest posts