Brett Hundley Round 5

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From NFL.com

STRENGTHS
Well-built with frame sturdy enough to handle rigors of the position. Asked to get through progressions and make decisions. Willing to stand in and take the hit when he zeroes in on his target. Willing to get take downfield shot and give his receiver a chance to make the play. Has the ability to maneuver inside of pocket to buy time. Poised enough from pocket. Has adequate release and enough arm when he sits down on his throws. Above-average foot quickness to escape pocket. Hit 57-yard playaction touchdown from under center against Washington in 2014 (just seven attempts under center all year). Good sense of pocket pressure and is decisive when he decides to bolt. Dangerous as a runner with enough speed to hit a big play on the ground. Dual-threat ability increases his effectiveness in red zone. Displays his toughness almost every time out.

WEAKNESSES
Hasn't shown an ability to win from the pocket yet. Protected by playaction-based short passing game that held linebackers and cornerbacks at bay. Internal clock is a mess. Has marginal anticipation, and appears to be lacking in ability to read defenses and create a pre-snap plan. Slow getting through progressions, taking 125 sacks in three years. Inconsistent weight transfer on throws, which affects accuracy (throws sail) and velocity. Needs to reset feet when swiveling from side to side while scanning for next target. Gets crowded in pocket rather than sliding to open space. Short-arms too many throws. Ineffective, inaccurate passer outside of pocket with lowest completion percentage in Pac-12 when scrambling (32.6 percent). Misses opportunities to climb pocket while keeping eyes downfield rather than taking off as a runner.

-----------------------------------------

Either MM has his work cut out for him in the quarterback school or this young man is going to be playing a new position, perhaps as an H-back?

EDIT: Food for thought, consider Aaron's rapport with former quarterbacks Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb.

DC_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think like many fans, I am interested in hearing what Ted has to say about this pick (though it'll probably be, "We got a good football player."

I think it is all apart of Ted and MM's plan to install a quadruple option redzone offense with Hundley, Monty, Cobb, and Lacy.;)

In all seriousness, no complaints as he's got potential and ceiling, just interested to see what's next.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They did not move up to draft one of the top QB prospects in the draft to switch positions. He will be developed into what we can hope will be a good QB to backup Rodgers for now. As for his future, that completely depends how many factors play out, such as Rodgers health, his development, etc. Ted did not draft this guy with plans to trade him either. Could it eventually happen? Absolutely. Just like many things could happen. He could leave after his rookie deal expires, he could be cut like Brian Brohm, etc, etc. Ted drafts guys to develop into good football players to help the team at all positions.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hundley had some success on deep throws last season, completing 14 of 47 passes that travelled over 20 yards in the air for 670 yards and eight TDs.He had some troubles when getting under pressure as he was sacked on 30.5% of these snaps (highest mark of all draft eligible QBs). On play action plays he completed 72.8% of his passes for 1,156 yards with seven TDs and one INT for a passer rating of 112.1. He was one of the QBs with the most time to throw the ball at 2.84 seconds.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley had some success on deep throws last season, completing 14 of 47 passes that travelled over 20 yards in the air for 670 yards and eight TDs.He had some troubles when getting under pressure as he was sacked on 30.5% of these snaps (highest mark of all draft eligible QBs). On play action plays he completed 72.8% of his passes for 1,156 yards with seven TDs and one INT for a passer rating of 112.1. He was one of the QBs with the most time to throw the ball at 2.84 seconds.

Yuck. I think I would change where you said "some success" to "limited success."

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say I don't understand trading up for a player you hope never takes the field

H

HardRightEdge

Taking snaps over center, 5 and 7 step drops, pocket passing, reading progressions and certainly audibling...these are things you may get from the few surviving pro style college offenses, and that's only if those programs happen to have QBs with pro-quality physical attributes.

So, if you want a QB you're mostly looking at the physical attributes, arm strength, accuracy in the drills, intelligence, coachability, and character. In other words, nearly all of them are projects.

I like this pick. Hundley brings a lot of raw material to work with. He may not work out (most don't) but for the price it was a good pick.

HaHa'sRightGlove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised he dropped this late, but I'm glad we picked him up. I liked what little I have seen of him, and it can't hurt to have a young homegrown QB learning from Rodgers for a few years. Could be used in a few years for a couple of extra picks if he doesn't work out.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm actually surprised he dropped this late, but I'm glad we picked him up. I liked what little I have seen of him, and it can't hurt to have a young homegrown QB learning from Rodgers for a few years. Could be used in a few years for a couple of extra picks if he doesn't work out.

Hopefully Hundley won't play a meaningful down for the Packers over the next four seasons. In that case no other team would offer anything in a trade for him. I was surprised Thompson traded up to select him.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully Hundley won't play a meaningful down for the Packers over the next four seasons. In that case no other team would offer anything in a trade for him. I was surprised Thompson traded up to select him.

But that's just it, AR has gone down a couple of times already and to expect him to play 100% of the games over the next 4 years is not a smart thing to bank on. Having a good backup matters. I'm less down on this pick than many because Flynn and Tolzien just weren't all that good. Hundley could be a solid backup with a year's experience under his belt just in case. And if he does turn out to be a pretty good qb, he'll make good trade bait for some team to nab the Packers a high draft pick.

He could also turn out to be G. Harrell II.

D

Deleted member 6794

But that's just it, AR has gone down a couple of times already and to expect him to play 100% of the games over the next 4 years is not a smart thing to bank on. Having a good backup matters. I'm less down on this pick than many because Flynn and Tolzien just weren't all that good. Hundley could be a solid backup with a year's experience under his belt just in case. And if he does turn out to be a pretty good qb, he'll make good trade bait for some team to nab the Packers a high draft pick.

He could also turn out to be G. Harrell II.

Rodgers has missed a total of eight games because of injury since becoming the starter in 2008, he's not injury prone. Tolzien is a decent backup who could maybe win some games for us in case Aaron missing some games. I don't understand the reason behind giving up two draft picks for someone you hope will never play a meaningful down.

It's highly unlikely a team will offer a high draft pick for a QB most likely playing during the preseason only.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has missed a total of eight games because of injury since becoming the starter in 2008, he's not injury prone. Tolzien is a decent backup who could maybe win some games for us in case Aaron missing some games. I don't understand the reason behind giving up two draft picks for someone you hope will never play a meaningful down.

It's highly unlikely a team will offer a high draft pick for a QB most likely playing during the preseason only.

The Packers traded Matt Hasselbeck to Seattle and moved up in the 1st round of the draft and I don't
Believe he had taken any significant regular season snaps. I'm not saying that will be the same case
With Hundley, but there is a precedent.

I like the pick and thought it represented good value.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like you're both right. One can get something for a promising QB, but moving up in the draft isn't the same as getting a high draft pick. On the other hand, they did get a third from the Saints, right?

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll stay, as McCarthy is dying for a true draft pick QB to groom and develop again, but remember that we drafted Brunell, Brooks, and Hasselbeck, and parlayed those guys into trade chips for high draft picks, etc. So, then there's that.

Sky King

Reaction score
My hypothesis:

Any team could draft a QB with every pick of every draft and still end-up like the Bears despite the effort. Elite QBs are that rare and hard to find. Theoretically, Rodgers is nowhere near needing replacement. But as we have learned the hard way two seasons ago, when he's out for an extended period of time it can be a struggle to win even a single game, and making the playoffs that year had more to do with Detroit's collapse than the Packers backup QB play. Flynn was a gamer two years ago and his defeat of Dallas was a thing of beauty -- greatly aided by his past tenure with the team and multiple seasons of knowledge about the Packer offense -- something that Tolzein did not have at that same point in time. There's no substitute for experience.

Apparently, Tolzein has now surpassed Flynn in that backup role, per TT and company, or he would have been re-signed. So now somebody needs to replace Tolzein as #3 because the Packers system is too complicated for a walk-on to perform at a high enough level to keep the team competitive in an emergency. People had hardly finished their first beer when Wallace got hurt replacing Rodgers and then Tolzein soon got thrust into the equation. Without a prepared #3 on the roster you may be able to get Flynn (Part III) in an emergency, but only if he's a FA who's still in close-to-top shape. Otherwise, the Packers may have to throw in the towel on their season simply by default.

Hundley may eventually be a better #2 than Tolzein, but that's highly unlikely to occur in this, his rookie season. Being the #3 looks like a reasonable and achievable expectation for this season. If he does surpass Tolzein before either one of them becomes a free agent, then one of them may bring a return on investment. On paper, receiving any draft pick at all for Tolzein via trade would exceed the cost of attaining him. Anything greater than a fifth for Hundley would also represent a theoretical gain.

No prediction here. Just that developing emergency depth at QB seems like a better option than what we saw TT choose to do two years ago entering the preseason. Harrell and Coleman as #1 and #2 may have taught TT a sobering lesson -- one his predecessor was spared from experiencing since he had that freakishly durable ironman starting at QB almost from the start of his tenure and well beyond it.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots have drafted quarterbacks like Cassel and Mallett even though they have Tom Brady. They develop them and then trade them to teams desperate for quarterbacks. Perhaps that is the thinking here.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was my opinion prior to the draft that the Packers need to start sorting through QBs now.
Perhaps 1 or 2 will become trade bait.
Or perhaps a super sub much like Zeke Bratkowski during the Lombardi era.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In this era, I don't see anyone being a super sub. All it takes is one good season (Cassell) or a really good game (Flynn), and they'll be gone. Guys like Doug Pederson, happy to be Favre's clipboard caddy, just don't exist any more (personal opinion off the top of my head - corrections welcome).

D

Deleted member 6794

The Patriots have drafted quarterbacks like Cassel and Mallett even though they have Tom Brady. They develop them and then trade them to teams desperate for quarterbacks. Perhaps that is the thinking here.

The Patriots traded Cassel immediately after he had an 11 win season while Brady was out for the entire 2008 season. I don´t hope the Packers will lose Rodgers for an extended period of time during Hundley´s rookie contract.

It´s probable drafting Hundley will work out for the Packers like selecting Mallett did for the Patriots. While selecting him in the third round New England got a seventh-rounder in return for him in a trade with Houston last year. Taking into consideration that the Packers used two draft picks to select Hundley I really don´t like the pick.

While it´s true teams gave up way more in a trade for a talented backup QB several years ago that has changed over the last few seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I like Brett (Hundley) only tricky part of the logistics here is that he won't be ready to back-up Rodgers and might be hard to stash on the PS, which means we have to carry 3 QB's on our roster. One less spot for someone else that may contribute on special teams.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Brett (Hundley) only tricky part of the logistics here is that he won't be ready to back-up Rodgers and might be hard to stash on the PS, which means we have to carry 3 QB's on our roster. One less spot for someone else that may contribute on special teams.

You think we will have to hold 2 FBs on the roster?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You think we will have to hold 2 FBs on the roster?

Thought about that too with Kuuuuuuuhnnnnn and Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!

Doubt they carry 2, but wouldn't be the first time. Again, can you stash Rip on the PS? I get nervous with the PS and other teams snatching guys (probably less likely to snatch a QB, since it means placing them on their active roster). But with as deep of a roster that the Packers have, guessing our PS is a place many teams look first.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have some tweeners in this draft. Montgomery could be placed as a #4WR and #3 RB..... Cobb or Kuhn running the ball is an option too, should one of our big two RBs were to get hurt....
The rookie DBs, coupled with Hyde, seem to be able to cover multiple positions.
Mathews still moving around.
Guion, Neal can play multiple positions. A lot of mid-range D-linemen. We might have to drop one or two, if Rookie Ringo comes in and plays great.
We have two top TE's too. I bet we only keep 3 total?

The final cuts are going to be painful IMO.